Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

neikeel

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by neikeel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:55 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Nice! There is SL/ 12361. One pic in that album is obviously not correct though. Different parts on the board and different heater wire colors.

george
Yes most pics have WIMA cathode bypass in preamp, one has a Phiilips type on V2a and another red moulded (polystyrene?) on V1b, orientation of the 10k droppers is the other way around/bias caps etc/

Other thing to notice on the Woodstock pics is that 2 of the heads are 50watters. :what:

Great thread tho' keep it coming guys!
Neil

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Xplorer wrote:
Tazin wrote:
VelvetGeorge wrote:I tried to post a pic from my dropbox, but no luck. Sorry. Here's a link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/to6eoqd9wqjeo ... 4.jpg?dl=0

george
I get the feeling that the amplifier list presented on page 684 of the Electric Gypsy book is a collection of info based on amps present at his death and from other sources such as info possibly acquired from West Coast Organ and Amp Service.

From what I've seen of these reputed '69 Hendrix amps, they do not appear to have been extensively modded....Not to the degree that Dave Weyer has mentioned. Actually, most of them still have a fair share of their original solder joints intack (red dye present).

And please do not ask me to post pictures of any of these '69 amps....Believe me, I wish I could, but I cannot.
can you perhaps share some infos about the few mods involved that you've seen on these amps ?

I'm sorry but I cannot divulge info about the specific modifications done on any of these amps. I can though basically sum up the modifications. The amps that I've seen are a straight forward '69 plexi-era Super Lead with the split cathode arrangement changed to a share cathode design. The coupling cap for the Bright channel (V1b) was changed to a slightly different value as was the cathode bypass cap for V2a. That's all....Nothing really extensive.

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:13 pm

thank you.

The Hendrix section has never been as much exciting.

Dave, what decided you to come to us, after all these years of speculations on Jimi's gears ? This is so nice of you, a fantastic idea.
As some said, we'll never be him anyway, "you have to be him" to sound like him.
But if Jimi Hendrix, Gilmour, Jeff Beck, etc etc .... cared about their gears , there were certainly good reasons for that.

What mods would you do on some 45/100 for Jimi ?
And another thing i'd love to know is : were you involved into the gears used for the Fillmore east concerts ? what do you think of these , concerning the unique tone he had this night, compared to the other concerts ?

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 pm

neikeel wrote:
VelvetGeorge wrote:Nice! There is SL/ 12361. One pic in that album is obviously not correct though. Different parts on the board and different heater wire colors.

george
Yes most pics have WIMA cathode bypass in preamp, one has a Phiilips type on V2a and another red moulded (polystyrene?) on V1b, orientation of the 10k droppers is the other way around/bias caps etc/

Other thing to notice on the Woodstock pics is that 2 of the heads are 50watters. :what:

Great thread tho' keep it coming guys!
I believe Hendrix brought eight Marshall heads to Woodstock. Three were 50 watt heads and the rest were 100 watt. Billy Cox is using the two 50 watt heads along with a 100 watt, and appears to have a spare 50 watt. Jimi is using the two 100 watt heads and there is two backup 100 watt heads.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:56 pm

SL 12361 is very much stock. I'll look more closely at the pics, but it seems very unlikely that this was a heavily modified amp at one time. Especially with changed transformers.

I'll try to spot any changed parts and note them here.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Actually Tazin, Billy's using the two 50's and Larry Lee is using the 100 water.

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Xplorer wrote:thank you.

Dave, what decided you to come to us, after all these years of speculations on Jimi's gears ? This is so nice of you, a fantastic idea.
As some said, we'll never be him anyway, "you have to be him" to sound like him.
But if Jimi Hendrix, Gilmour, Jeff Beck, etc etc .... cared about their gears , there were certainly good reasons for that.

And another thing i'd love to know is : were you involved into the gears used for the Fillmore east concerts ? what do you think of these , concerning the unique tone he had this night, compared to the other concerts ?
here's the clearest shot i found of the actual fillmore east performance ( not just the rehearsal setup ) :

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jimi-hend ... 9-36A.html

Contrary the the rehearsals shots , jimi has two jbl loaded 2X15 cabs on his right , one sunn and one guild , apart from the trainer -yorkville ysm-1 voice monitor on the bar seat ....
And the center stage cabs which were guild on the rehearsal shots are obviously replaced by sunn ones ... So there's a huge number of jbls playing a role on the stage if you count the center stage cabs which could have been used not only for the bass ...My opinion is there's a little too much only for monitoring ....
Don't wanna start the controversy again , but with the new insight daveweyer gave us ... What i'm hearing is starting to make sense a little more ....

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:58 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:SL 12361 is very much stock. I'll look more closely at the pics, but it seems very unlikely that this was a heavily modified amp at one time. Especially with changed transformers.

I'll try to spot any changed parts and note them here.

george
On the link I supplied of the 361 amp the fuzzy pic is not from that amp it is the Governor. The governor was on ebay once with no internal pic's The guy said he was told no to supply any. I talked him into the one and snipped before he took it down. I sent that pic to amp archives and they put it with the 361, Both amps look basicly un modded they even have the brite caps

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:02 pm

some more pictures of the back of the amps from a movie filmed right at midnight, new year's eve 1969-1970 . fillmore east concerts.
several very bad quality pictures i'm sorry. possible white stickers visible sometimes.

http://xplorer80.imgur.com/

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:10 pm

frenchie wrote:

here's the clearest shot i found of the actual fillmore east performance ( not just the rehearsal setup ) :

Contrary the the rehearsals shots , jimi has two jbl loaded 2X15 cabs on his right , one sunn and one guild , apart from the trainer -yorkville ysm-1 voice monitor on the bar seat ....
And the center stage cabs which were guild on the rehearsal shots are obviously replaced by sunn ones ... So there's a huge number of jbls playing a role on the stage if you count the center stage cabs which could have been used not only for the bass ...My opinion is there's a little too much only for monitoring ....
Don't wanna start the controversy again , but with the new insight daveweyer gave us ... What i'm hearing is starting to make sense a little more ....
cool picture !

i just modified the picture a bit to give more light, in case we would see more.

http://i.imgur.com/IqZRDwl.jpg

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Xplorer wrote:
frenchie wrote:

cool picture !

i just modified the picture a bit to give more light, in case we would see more.

http://i.imgur.com/IqZRDwl.jpg
thanks !
and if you wan't , on this one you clearly see the microphones on the marshall cabs ;

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jimi-hend ... 10-22.html

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Here is the Dickenson/Montery amp that Marshall used to clone for the Super JH 100's

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:22 pm

I just noticed on the clean 361 amp pic (not the governor) the NFB goes to the speaker jack. Strange I thought they all went to the tap on leads

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:25 pm

indeed !

frenchie : http://i.imgur.com/Qfir7ew.jpg

about the 45/100 number 7026 Dickinson , i'm very curious of what Dave thinks of these 470 ohms screen resistors, and wouldn't they damage the tubes ?

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Here is the Roger Mayer interview about the effects and guitars

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-ro ... up#slide-2

the black strat

http://www.univibes.com/BlackStrat.html