Cobalt Strings

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Cobalt Strings

Post by 54strat » Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am

Anyone else try the new Ernie Ball Cobalt strings yet? I put a set on my Strat a couple of days ago and really like them so far. They are everything the advertising says they are; a little more output, better definition in the bottom end, feel good, and stay in tune better. Even with my amp really cranked the bottom end sounds more defined. Just need to see how long they last. This time of year when it's hot and I have a lot of outdoor gigs, regular Slinky's sometimes don't make it through one night before losing the twang.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

Smokin Tone

Re: Cobalt Strings

Post by Smokin Tone » Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 am

Haven't tried them myself but some friends are using them. Getting really good reviews so far. Claiming that they do last longer.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu May 10, 2012 4:52 pm

I have them on my new custom built lefty Fender 60's tele, and I also strung a set for a friend of mine who had (myself and another friend) build him a replica White Fender '54 #0001 David Gilmour Strat w/ David Gilmour Black Fender 70's strat guts.

These strings are everything as advertised, smooth to the touch and feel (like having Finger Ease or Fast Fret on the strings), longer lasting than your typical set, and with more volume, headroom, and sustain. It stands to reason however, as Cobalt is one of the primary ingredients in Alnico magnets found in guitar pickups and permanent speaker magnets so that you do really hear the increased volume and greater sustain aspects of these particular strings.

I do not however recommend Dean Markley Blue Cryogenic Steel strings or Kerly Kues strings as they are both the same technology. Drop the temperature to below XXXX degrees, cryogenically freezing said strings to reduce weak points in the steel supposedly. I have found that this technology makes for a brittle, bitey, edgy sound which some may like, but if I remember correctly these strings die (go dead) fairly quickly as well.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Tue May 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Played a three hour gig Saturday night, got the Strat out the next day and the cobalts still sound great. Regular nickel/steel Ernie Balls wound be dead. All night Saturday I was really loving the way my rig sounded. I'll leave them on for an outdoor gig this Friday and see what happens. For twice the dough of other Ernie Balls it would nice if they'll go for more than one or two gigs.
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Tue May 15, 2012 9:01 pm

I picked up a set but haven't restrung yet. I'll post my review here also.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 pm

54strat wrote:For twice the dough of other Ernie Balls it would nice if they'll go for more than one or two gigs.
Let us know the results that you've incurred. I've had mine on my tele for at least a month or slightly more now, and I get together with the guys occasionally and jam but it's not the same as in your situation. I believe the Cobalt sets will deliver just what they promise, and sure it's roughly double a standard set but, as you say if they last longer then they'll be my new go to sets just like the Cleartone coated phosphor bronze Martin Lifespan, D'Addario EXP, and Cleartone acoustic sets have become my new acoustic guitar go to sets.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Sun May 20, 2012 12:28 am

Two gigs this weekend, and the one night last weekend. They still sounded pretty decent this evening...not brand new sounding but certainly not dead sounding at all. I could never go three nights on regular nickel/steel Slinkys! I'm thinking I really like the cobalts! :champ:
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster

jimmyride
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jimmyride » Sun May 20, 2012 12:55 am

I wonder what are these like compared to the Elixirs. I use nothing but them.

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Sun May 20, 2012 8:36 am

54strat wrote:Two gigs this weekend, and the one night last weekend. They still sounded pretty decent this evening...not brand new sounding but certainly not dead sounding at all. I could never go three nights on regular nickel/steel Slinkys! I'm thinking I really like the cobalts! :champ:
Isnt it funny how different players do their thing differently? I remember reading an interview with Johnny Winter years ago, where he said that he replaces strings when they break, which could be on the second night, or in 2 months.
Ever since then, I figured, if Johnny does that, who am I to say its wrong?
I use regular nickel EB strings exclusively. I almost NEVER break strings, so the strings on most of my guitars can go 3 or 4 months. Ill change 'em at that point just to give it back some edge, but I actually like them when they're like a month old... gives the guitar a sound almost like a very long guitar cord would... like a little bit of capacitance or something. Sorta like the highs are a bit shaved off, and the mids and lows are more pronounced.

(I forget who it was, but there's an old blues player that used like a 50' cord for that slight capacitance in his tone).
:scratch:

54strat

Post by 54strat » Sun May 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I remember reading that Robbie Krieger only changed his strings when they broke. Different strokes alright. I like that new string twang.
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sun May 20, 2012 9:52 pm

I tried 'em, they're different and unique, but not for me.
I'm used to the smoother sound of nickels. There's a harsh abrasive sound to these strings I can't quite dial out.
I have a pretty bright rig. I think these would sound good through a darker setup, like a Boogie Rectifier or something like that.
They're very aggressive on the wound strings. Riffs like "Crazy Train" and "Still of the Night" just roar through.
But they don't balance well with the plain strings. I'd have to re-adjust the pickup heights, I'm thinking.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon May 21, 2012 8:22 pm

I would normally agree with you SteadyEddy but I believe it's your guitar and not your Cobalt strings. Fotr example, I have used the Dean Markley "Blue Steel" Cryogenically Activated strings once or twice in the past and they were definitely TOO BRIGHT. I'm not saying I have Eric Johnson ears, but my ears are super hyper critical to highs and these Cobalts aren't bright. However, there has got to be something to cryogenically activated strings that "cut like a knife".
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 pm

I have a jazz guitar buddy that's a great guitarist, he's opened for Larry Coryell, and George Benson amongst others. My buddy prefers worn in string sets for that warmer "Bensonesque" jazz tone, but sometimes it drives me crazy listening to him play because I find myself wanting to at least turn up his treble (and/or) presence control for greater clarity on some of his jazz guitar passages. What I notice in older string sets are a lack of sustain and the note(s) dying out quicker.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon May 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Eddie,
Have you ever sat down analyzed your rig closer? I'm not being facetious here, just trying to help if I can. If there's anything I can't stand it's an overly bright rig. The first strat a luthier ever made for me was a hard rock maple body, the neck was birdseye maple and the fretboard was ebony. All these woods make for a bright sounding guitar, although in this instance the guitar was tonally "dead". This strat had the first Seymour Duncan Hot Strat Stack pickups (horrible). It wasn't until I changed to (3) Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Strat pickups with taps on each pickup, and to a Cocobolo/Flamed Koa neck that the guitar finally lived and breathed. I didn't know any better about guitar (woods/construction) pickups, hardware or anything guitar related (I was just a kid) but the luthier should have known better. All the luthier saw were $$$$$ signs and not what would actually work for me. Over the years and its been at least a good 32 years, I have learned much about guitar construction, amps, effects, etc. from my voracious guitar hobbying. I have experienced several guitars builds for myself and even assembled a few for friends, and now its such that I can almost hear a guitar before it's even assembled just from prior experiences.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:36 am

fillmore nyc wrote:
54strat wrote:Two gigs this weekend, and the one night last weekend. They still sounded pretty decent this evening...not brand new sounding but certainly not dead sounding at all. I could never go three nights on regular nickel/steel Slinkys! I'm thinking I really like the cobalts! :champ:
Isnt it funny how different players do their thing differently? I remember reading an interview with Johnny Winter years ago, where he said that he replaces strings when they break, which could be on the second night, or in 2 months.
Ever since then, I figured, if Johnny does that, who am I to say its wrong?
I use regular nickel EB strings exclusively. I almost NEVER break strings, so the strings on most of my guitars can go 3 or 4 months. Ill change 'em at that point just to give it back some edge, but I actually like them when they're like a month old... gives the guitar a sound almost like a very long guitar cord would... like a little bit of capacitance or something. Sorta like the highs are a bit shaved off, and the mids and lows are more pronounced.

(I forget who it was, but there's an old blues player that used like a 50' cord for that slight capacitance in his tone).

:scratch:
I think it was Stan Webb of Chicken Shack, if not he was definitely English as I remember that, having the huge lead to go off into the crowd and he played an ES-335/45 methinks..
http://britrockbythebay.blogspot.com/20 ... -1974.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They certainly have quite the roster of players in their latest ad!
Everyone says that have a sharper sound, as for longevity..?
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;