P/ups for new flying V

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tenderfoot
Just the numbers in order: 7

P/ups for new flying V

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Just recieved my new flying v with floyd rose today. I love the feel,fit and finish, but these 496r 500t pickups are not cutting it. I've only played a strat for the last 30yrs so i know there is a difference with humbuckers. Does anyone know of humbucker pickups that will give me that strat sound with more crunch. i.e. bright, clear,midrange? Also would the Wilde by Bill lawrence 500xl pickups do what I need.
thanks

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: P/ups for new flying V

Post by garbeaj » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:Just recieved my new flying v with floyd rose today. I love the feel,fit and finish, but these 496r 500t pickups are not cutting it. I've only played a strat for the last 30yrs so i know there is a difference with humbuckers. Does anyone know of humbucker pickups that will give me that strat sound with more crunch. i.e. bright, clear,midrange? Also would the Wilde by Bill lawrence 500xl pickups do what I need.
thanks
I have '57 Classics that came standard in my '58 reissue Gibson Flying V...but I hate heavy metal and prefer P.A.F. style pickups. I also don't really dig boutique pickups. I don't need a $500 boutique P.A.F. clone when the '57 Classic is cheap and sounds great for me...

I'm sure lots of people will give their own opinions, but it is important to figure out what type of sounds you are going for. If you are trying to sound like Vinnie Vincent, then you will need a different type of pickup than if you are trying to sound like Albert King...

Judging by the Floyd I would think you are more in the metal zone?

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Naw, not into playing metal at all. I just really like the way the Floyd feels and responds. With the current pickups I have to turn my fuzz almost off to get a decent sound and I'm thinking I don't need a high output pickup to do what I need since I use a fuzz overdrive and the ep pre booster. I guess I need something close to a strat single coil in a humbucker. I'll start researching the 57 Classics and see if that will give me what I need. If this helps I'm more into a classic rock sound.

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:I guess I need something close to a strat single coil in a humbucker.
These two from DiMarzio might get you close to where you wanna be:

The DP156:
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuck ... ucker-hell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The DP163:
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I've never used 'em, so I cant give them a "yay or nay", but they might be worth a shot if you want a single coil tone in a humbucking space.
8)

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Fillmore,the 163 seems to be what I need. Maybe someone will chime in that has used it. Considering I just got the V today I have to make the right choice the first time because the wife isn't quite happy about another purchase! :palm:

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:Considering I just got the V today I have to make the right choice the first time because the wife isn't quite happy about another purchase! :palm:
The key is to have SO much equipment, that she never realizes that you got some new stuff!!
:lol: :lol:

:rock: :rock:

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 pm

I just found on Dimarzio's site what might be the best pickup for me. They are the EJ series dp211/212, which also looks to be their lowest output pickups which should work great with my pedals. Now I just have convince the boss/accountant/lead singer/wife/.......well you get my drift!

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 am

Tenderfoot wrote:I guess I need something close to a strat single coil in a humbucker. I'll start researching the 57 Classics and see if that will give me what I need. If this helps I'm more into a classic rock sound.
The '57 is a nice pup but, didn't do it for me for the sinlecoil thing. More so the open classic P.A.F. sound. Which is a good P.A.F. substitute.
fillmore nyc wrote:
Tenderfoot wrote:single coil in a humbucker.
........ single coil tone in a humbucking space.
8)
We all know the meanest & spanky-est sinle coil is a P90... What about Gibson's P94 ? :idea:
If you don't mind the look. I had the same quest several years back and that fit the quota to a "T".
but... a lot of singlecoil-in-a-hum has come out since then... :scratch:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:15 am

JimiJames wrote:We all know the meanest & spanky-est sinle coil is a P90... What about Gibson's P94 ? :idea:
If you don't mind the look. I had the same quest several years back and that fit the quota to a "T".
but... a lot of singlecoil-in-a-hum has come out since then... :scratch:
This comes to mind too:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... _phat_cat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 am

:champ:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:44 am

fillmore nyc wrote:[The key is to have SO much equipment, that she never realizes that you got some new stuff!!

Right on, filly!!! Someone asked my wife how many guitars I have. She said "I don't know. There are cases constantly going in and out. I lost count."!!!!!!!!!! I'll even drag and empty case in and out now and then just to keep her guessing! :o
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:30 pm

I checked out the SDs and the DC resistance was 8.1 compared to 7.85 for the Dimarzio EJs. Based on their chart the EJs are suppose to emphasize the highs. They quote EJ as saying that they sound almost as clear as single coils.I'm leaning towards the EJs. Also, I asked a local shop how much they charge to put in pickups..$90.00!!! I never put in pickups before but I''ll put these in before I pay that price! I can't believe it's that hard to do.

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:27 pm

NY Chief wrote:Right on, filly!!! Someone asked my wife how many guitars I have. She said "I don't know. There are cases constantly going in and out. I lost count."!!!!!!!!!! I'll even drag and empty case in and out now and then just to keep her guessing! :o
Way to keep the faith, bro-man!!
:clap: :rock: :thumbsup:

I picked up (another :oops: ) Roccaforte (a Denelle 45R) and a 4-12 Marshall cab. She never even noticed... and they're in the same room as her treadmill.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
Tenderfoot wrote:Considering I just got the V today I have to make the right choice the first time because the wife isn't quite happy about another purchase! :palm:
The key is to have SO much equipment, that she never realizes that you got some new stuff!!

My thinking exactly...she can't keep track of how many instruments I have in the shop for repair/customization at any given time, so she never knows the difference when a new instrument she has never seen before is suddenly in my music room! I just say "I just got that one out of repair!" I have 16 different guitars so it does get to be difficult for her to keep them straight :rock:

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm

I went ahead and ordered the Dimarzio EJ Customs,I should have them next week.But there seems to be a problem. I took out the old pickups to get ready for the new ones and noticed that there is no grond wire to the floyd rose bridge, is this normal? The guitar was not not dead quite before i took the pickups out but i attributed it to the hot pickups themselves. Should i run a ground from the floyd rose to the volume pot? :what: