Adding tube rectifier

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
dynaman

Adding tube rectifier

Post by dynaman » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:40 am

I've got some Marshall /Drake transformers (50W) from the early '70's that I want to make a Plexi clone with. I'd also like to add a tube rectifier. Does anybody see a problem with me just adding a 5V tranny inside the chassis (limited space) for the new tube?

Also, does anyone know what the current requirements are of the average 50 and 100 watt Marshall power transformer? Thanks!

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:54 am

No there is absolutely no problem with adding a seperate 5 volt tranny for the rectifier heater. However, I believe George also sells a JTM45 power tranny that has a 5 volt winding already in it. But since you already have power trannies, just get a 5V tranny that can supply just enough heater current for the tube rectifier. I'm assuming that you'll be using a 5AR4/GZ34 rec tube, which requires 1.9 amps. So find a 5V 2A trannie and you'll be sittin' pretty.

Also, I believe a 50 watt power tranny needs at least 250mA B+ current while the 100 watter requires one that can supply about 500mA.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

dynaman

Post by dynaman » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:31 am

Thanks for your help. How about the current requirements of the other secondaries? The reason I ask is that I want to experiment with various used transformers but I need to know what all the secondaries need. Any help?