Pre-wired EMG's

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
SpeedMetal

Pre-wired EMG's

Post by SpeedMetal » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:38 am

Dear EMG, great idea to pre-wire your controls at the factory, but it does me no good when they won't even FIT IN MY GUITAR!!!!

OK, this might be a dumb question (I'm no electrician), but there is a capacitor (see picture) that is connected between the volume and tone, but the spacing between the two on my guitar forces me to disconnect one end. Is it possible to solder a piece of solid wire (I have some from an older installation kit) to one end in order to make it longer? Will this change anything?

Also, a tip for anyone that may want to install these. Take a piece of electrical tape and once the clip is hooked up to the pickup cover that sucker. I found out the hard way that it can come unclipped after messing around with the wires, a slight tug is all it takes.

Peace!!
Attachments
Hcontrol.jpg
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Shred 'til yer Dead

Marshalls-Beer-USA Jacksons-Beer-Marshalls

Looking for a double-bass fool for a drummer...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:28 am

You should be able to solder an extension to that cap, shouldn't affect anything if it's a good joint. Kind of a big "duh" on EMG's part.
In other pickup idiocy, I just got a set of Fender's Hot Noiseless pickups to try in my pink Strat. Went to put the bridge pickup into the pickguard, and the damn holes don't line up between the pickup and its cover, and the cover barely works its way over the magnets!!! AAAARRRGGH!!!!]

SpeedMetal

Post by SpeedMetal » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 am

I did solder that wire to it and they sound great. I am very anal about having ANY noise other than sweet tone come through my speakers. The Duncan's I had in my Kelly were pretty bad so that's why I opted for the 81 and 85, they are dead quiet (I have them in a couple of other guitars). Plus I love the smooth consistant sustain I get from the EMG's....just like butta.

Thanks for you help!!!
Shred 'til yer Dead

Marshalls-Beer-USA Jacksons-Beer-Marshalls

Looking for a double-bass fool for a drummer...