[PuroMojo] New amp seeing the day!!!

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
PuroMojo
Just the numbers in order: 7

[PuroMojo] New amp seeing the day!!!

Post by PuroMojo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:33 am

This amp build is a first prototype for Stoof a musician friend touring with his band the Defibrillators.
It's based on a 68 Marshall SLP 1959. But with a lot of mods and improvements.

It has 2 channels controled by footswitch with independent Gain and Volume controls, and a gain boost also controlled by footswitch. Gain boost is a gain stage added to one of the two other channels, what makes it like a 4 channel amp. Also there a voicing three way toggle switch in front panel to switch from Normal, to Fat or Bright voicings. Going from a plexi sound, to EVH or slash sound. All together these give 12 sound possibilities. Here some pics.

The amp is called 'Chouchou Beleza' :D

Soundclips:

Little demo of two channels + gain boost. Each sample is on a different voicing switch position. Clear sounds on channel 1, dirtier on channel 2, even higher with gain boost engaged.

Voicing normal
Listen: http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... D=12414335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Download: http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... D=12414335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voicing Bright
Listen: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Download: http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... D=12414330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voicing Fat
Listen: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Download: http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... D=12414332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axeman

Re: [PuroMojo] New amp seeing the day!!!

Post by axeman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 am

I don't understand you come here to sale show off an amp that 2 years ago everyone here helped you with mods 34,36,39 and then sale the the mods on YouTube, now you want to sale an amp back to us that we helped you create. Puro Puto.

PuroMojo

Post by PuroMojo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 am

Sorry if that offends you. You're here for a long time, not me, and I learned a lot about amps in this Forum, but I don't remember seeing you that much in the SIR tread. If it was Nigel or Paul complaining I would understand, as I have worked close to them on the SIR mods and they were on this long before me, among som others, and each one of us had our own versions of #36. I still exchange with Nigel and he knows my mod specs. In this amp is still a bit different.The rest is a modded 68 plexi, that everybody here copied, with some other tweaks I did, that probably nobody else uses, including the channels schems and foot switch.

I always acknowledged these guys from Metroamp, Tim and Frank for their help in my videos and other Foruns. Specially Tim as I first bought an map with his mod, and he helped me to open it and remmod it, and tought me a lot about amps. I never said I developed anything alone, even if I used my only version of it. I own a lot to Nigel, who's someone I still call to help me. He also sells replicas and do mods. I have to thank Larry too that has answered me some questions in private.

About amp mods, I must have done 5-6 amps in the last 3 years, most to close friends, so do you think I making flows of cash :lol: Some people that conctacted me I send to Paul or Nigel, telling that their SIR mods were similar to mine, yet different, and probably they modded more amps than me. There are a zillion versions of EVH mods, that in reality the original was just a stock plexi. I just tried to reproduce that sound mixing 12000 series plexi and a 2203 to fit with everything else, channel switching, boost, etc....

I like to show amp sounds, because I think its cool sounding stuff, I love to play and record, and everybody loves that. A lot of people complain new/modern amp designs are not good, saying only old/vintage stuff is done right on PTP. If someone adapts this old stuff to do something else in a PTP hand build, it's an heresy if he thinks in selling it. Yes I'm showing here what I've done, but the 3-4 components needed to do SIR mods, whatever the specs used, are not what makes everything in this amp I'm showing here.

Whatever, I apoligise if you felt offended, but actually I don't have to justify myself that much, and I don't care, as, again, I haven't see you that much on the SIR tread before. Cheers.
Last edited by PuroMojo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am

That's because I pm

PuroMojo

Post by PuroMojo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am

I forgot to mention the guitars I used as I had one guitar that fits each amp voicing:

Normal voicing with this ESP Navigator Custom Shop 560 with Voodoo Peter Florence 59 humbuckers, low output PAF replicas

On Bright channel I had this Orville by Gibson 59 reissue with A2Pro on bridge and Gibson Classic 57 on neck:

And on the fat channel, this MM Axis, that I got not so long ago, increadible guitar:
Last edited by PuroMojo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

You normally wouldn't see the guy who pushes the button.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:17 am

Great sounding amp there PureMojo ! Very versatile amp while still maintaining the great foundation of the 1959/2203 models :thumbsup:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 am

Coolness in a box. Good stuff J!

PuroMojo

Post by PuroMojo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks there Slinger. :)

Thanks Paul, nice to see you here. :toast:

Here's video when I first let the amp with my friend Stoof at his studio and when he first used it at the festival Guitare En Scence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O33p-C3Gis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Sounds wicked ! but the cosmetics could use some thinking.. that's a horrible logo lol :dlr:

I see what axeman is saying to an extent though.. I would consider offering assistance to people on this forum as a way to "pay your debts" so to speak. I find a lot of threads go unanswered these days... I know i'm having issues wiring up a gain stage to my 2204 because i have no idea how to wire it up with a DPDT without affecting tone. Help like that would be fantastic!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Sounds wicked ! but the cosmetics could use some thinking.. that's a horrible logo lol :dlr:

I see what axeman is saying to an extent though.. I would consider offering assistance to people on this forum as a way to "pay your debts" so to speak. I find a lot of threads go unanswered these days... I know i'm having issues wiring up a gain stage to my 2204 because i have no idea how to wire it up with a DPDT without affecting tone. Help like that would be fantastic!
What are you trying to do?
Neil

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Simple, take a 2204, add an extra half tube via DPDT and switch it in and out. I just don't logically understand how the new half stage and original V1 are setup so that they share the 68k resistor off the input jack. Do they piggy back? I see schems of an extra tube and i see pictures of peoples amps but i do not physically understand how this added stage is routed. I have an idea of how what values to use but not the wiring. I'd love to see a layout with a basic DPDT and an extra stage. I've looked at the bainzy mod and lots of metro posts and i am lost.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Simple, take a 2204, add an extra half tube via DPDT and switch it in and out. I just don't logically understand how the new half stage and original V1 are setup so that they share the 68k resistor off the input jack. Do they piggy back? I see schems of an extra tube and i see pictures of peoples amps but i do not physically understand how this added stage is routed. I have an idea of how what values to use but not the wiring. I'd love to see a layout with a basic DPDT and an extra stage. I've looked at the bainzy mod and lots of metro posts and i am lost.
Things that are fixed of both V1 and your V0 are the cathode resistor and cap (unless you are switching these too!), the plate resistors, the coupling caps (AKA plate bypass caps) and the grid resistor of each stage.
The switching bit:
What you are doing in normal mode is the output coupler from first stage feeds into the input grid of the second stage (with or without a treble peaking cap (depends on stage) or a voltage divider or pot. Your DPDT switch facilitates this with that wire being closed in position 1. When you move it to position 2 you break this contact and making the contact to feed the grid of the added stage on one haplf of the switch whilst at the same time connecting the other half of the switch between the output coupler of your added stage and the grid of your next stage - simples. If you are using a voltage divider eg 470k/470k (like a 1meg pot on 5) the grid wire from the coupler will go to one leg of the divider and the other leg to ground. You can vary the ratio of divider to ground depending on how much signal you want to pass, or you can make it really variable with a pot.

You can see examples of how to wire it in the AFD thread. If you need a specific diagram then let me know.
Neil

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 pm

A specific diagram would be great as I fear going through all 300+ pages of that thread!! I don't necessarily need any exact values for the stage as I know it is personal taste but just so I don't wire it completely wrong. So my understanding now is that i wire the input jack to the DPDT so that i can either connect that other half tube in parralel/cascade with V1 or not..this i assume is correct?

thanks!

Sorry for the hijacked thread puromojo!

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Ok located the schem/layout on page 140 of the monster AFD thread. I see it using a POT. IS this to slowly bring in the amount of gain? In other words, is it out of the signal if that pot is on zero? Would still prefer that setup with a DPDT though.