TAD vs. Sprague - Pre filter

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

gtomax

TAD vs. Sprague - Pre filter

Post by gtomax » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:36 pm

I've got a 16uf Atom I bought roughly 4 years ago and a new TAD 16uf. While both should be good, which would be better for a JTM45 board as the pre filter? The Atom is more correct in size to the old RS caps and according to SOZO that's important. I'm willing to believe it.

I've also heard that Atoms took a step down in quality since RoHS compliance and I'm not sure when that transition took place.

Probably doesn't make a lick of difference but hey, I'm willing to pose the question.

To TAD or not to TAD?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 pm

I had a duff Atom in my 45 recently after only a few hours on the clock, replaced with a 22uF Bc and happiness restored.

Try it if it is an early one might be ok, I would not buy another when there is better stuff out there :wink:
Neil

gtomax

Post by gtomax » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks Neil! TAD it is.

GUITARmole
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by GUITARmole » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:14 am

FWIW, I've been using the TAD caps on both Marshalls and Fenders and I LOVE them...as an added bonus they're dirt-cheap!! $

twango

Post by twango » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:48 pm

As far as I know the TAD elctrolytics are made by F&T (Germany) which are in the Metro kits too.

You can get them too at www.die-wuestens.de . (For all you european guys here...).

Jan W

electricskychurch

Re: TAD vs. Sprague - Pre filter

Post by electricskychurch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

is that true that Sprague ATOM caps are less good now ?

cause i'm about to buy many electrolitic caps , most to service some of my amps and a few spares but i noticed the price difference between TAD ans sprague is really important.
i have always heard in the past those sprague caps were good but if their actual quality isn't as good, maybe it's better to buy some TAD.
i'm surprised TAD caps are said to be F&T, they don't seem to be the same caps visualy (but who knows !) .
i read the TAD gold caps are made in China but i don't know if it's true !

i've been looking for some infos on several websites about electrolytic caps but despite everybody has his word to say, i haven't heard any recordings showing a difference between the different brands (LCR, F&T, JJ, ARS, Sprague, Ruby, TAD, Illinois...) !
some seem to favour LCR , like ****** (i directly put the stars as his name seems to be sensored here ! LOL) , who seems to prefer them over the other brands, when some other like Ted Weber, seem to say LCR's are not good ! LOL

i found an article were they seem to say that electolytic caps are "bad" components anyway :
http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/electrolytics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's certainly the part for which i haven't been able to made up my mind about the quality / tone differences (as i didn't make any tests to compare these ) between the different brands