1st timer board install help

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

clarkydaz

1st timer board install help

Post by clarkydaz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:53 am

hi guys, tried to post some pics but cant seem to on here, says file may be too large? i have a few issues mainly i believe on the right hand side of the chassis, thought someone could offer a few pointers if i could get them posted. i have sent a few to george but still waiting, how do i get the pics up?

594Life

Post by 594Life » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:30 am

Try to save the pics as a file other than a JPG. Like opening it up in Paint and saving it. That's what I had to do.

Dax

Post by Dax » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:47 am

If you have Adobe Photoshop or a like program, open the pic and click Image-Size, change to about 800x600 and click file-save a copy. Imaged have to be under 600kb i think. Right click the image and hit properties to see the size.

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:49 am

Email me the pics if you want and i'll post them.

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Here is 1st Pic

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:34 pm

Have you powered her up?

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:52 pm

i see you ran the wires on top of the board.i may do this as well,just seems easier than threading them up through the board.yes it would be cleaner looking but whos gonna see it :D although i would be careful not to have wires crossing the preamp tubes to avoid unwanted noise.jason

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:17 pm

yes, it fires up ok, just no sound. it is actually a late 70s park, though pretty much identical to marshall. next to the bias pot, i have yellow filter, black choke and the original yellow wire going to the power tubes ( do i add another yellow wire here for each power tube pin 6 as on the instructions?, would have 4 or 5 connections at one point then)
the other issue was the brown wire on the ht fuse, i looked at the pcb and guessed where it should go.

also, the white wire from the standby switch, wasnt sure if thats ok. they were all the original wires left over, not sure what i have to add looking at the cd diagram/instructions regarding transformer wires etc

jj jafar

Post by jj jafar » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:31 pm

you can daisy chain the power tubes at pin 6 with one wire then run one wire to the board.jason

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:46 pm

will do jason, thanks. if anyone else sees anything odd please chip in

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:49 pm

No, 3 wires is all you should have together. Yellow, yellow, black

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:52 pm

Why on most 50 watt 1987's are there 2 10K resistors here(Arrows)and i only see one on this board?

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:53 pm

thats what is there present, yellow filter, black choke, and a yellow wire to the power tubes, but daisy chained at pin 4, not 6. that was stock.

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:56 pm

it was ordered as a bass head, does that make a difference?

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:12 pm

On the subject of how the wires are routed to the board, while you don't have to run them up through the board, remember that everything you do to keep things neat will help when you've got troubleshooting to do or soldering to touch up when making corrections. You can also run certain wires too close to one another, and it may be hard to re-route them if things aren't neat and don't have a proper length to them. (The bigshots call it "lead dress" and it's an irritating but necessary science.)
I don't see a red herring for your troubles, clarkydaz. But in your case when you do get sound you may find that the purple wire going from the board to the presence control is a little short and runs too close to the other tone controls' wiring. If you get a squealing or funny high pitched whine-y noise with the volume up and the presence control cranked you'll want to re-route that wire so it runs under the board away from the other wires, then straight out to the presence control. I made this mistake rewiring my '78 Marshall, but I had enough wire there to move it around so it worked better.
I'm trying to remember what George wrote on my instructions about the wiring from the rocker style switches (that white wire.) If I can find my instructions I'll check to see if it's right. Also check the back of all the paperwork you got with the kit. When I got my stuff from George he had noted written on the back of some sheets that I didn't find until months later! I don't know that he has the time to write notes specific to your kits anymore though.