PTP board materials

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

PTP board materials

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:12 pm

In an effort to be more accurate to vintage specs I've been trying some different types of phenolic (paper based, canvas based, fiber, ect.) board material.
The results have not been good at all. None of the phenolics have the rigidity of the epoxy based material I've been using. Worse yet, the terminals don't stake securely in the holes.

I was really hoping to make my boards more "aesthetically correct", but I just can't bring myself to use materials that are so inferior.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Hassan Chop

Post by Hassan Chop » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:42 am

I work in aviation maintenance and have seen a lot of stuff that appears to be the same as the material from which the PTP circuit boards are made. I believe that it is linen in phenolic resin, though, not paper. You may wish to try aviation parts suppliers. General aviation, especially, is extremely conservative when it comes to technologies, and old-style materials are not out of the question. I suggest trying aviation electronics and avionics (not exactly the same thing) shops to try to find out who their suppliers are.
I knew we should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque!