Question about Duncan's 78?

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motrock

Re: Question about Duncan's 78?

Post by motrock » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:46 pm

For me the Frankenstein Pickup is the right choice. I think the key is the distance from the strings. I had mine too close and it over distorted. I lowered the pickup and it became much clearer and sounds great. For me output equals loudness. That was information that Steve at Dimarzio told me. He made me realize that output is just how loud the thing is. You have a low output pickup; the closer to the strings you are. You get a high output pickup, you move it a bit further away. I took that approach with the Franky pickup in the last week. You have to find that sweet spot. Sometimes lowering it and doing some experimenting will do wonders.

That being said, there are varied tones on all the VH albums. I suspect Eddie swapped picks out all the time.

hammered

Post by hammered » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:47 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:
rgorke wrote:exactly, the Duncan Custom is the go to pickup for EVH for me.

That being said, this has been discussed over and over and over and never a resolution.
Show me when a 78 neck pu has been discussed here? :what:
and FYI this thread is not about trying to get a EVH tone it is about WHY is there a neck pu being offered that was supposedly made for eddie in 1978 when eddie never even used a neck pu back in 78 8)
I`m sure MJ at Seymour Duncan can give you insight :wink:

EJSLPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:03 am

motrock wrote: I think the key is the distance from the strings. I had mine too close and it over distorted. I lowered the pickup and it became much clearer and sounds great. For me output equals loudness. That was information that Steve at Dimarzio told me. He made me realize that output is just how loud the thing is. You have a low output pickup; the closer to the strings you are. You get a high output pickup, you move it a bit further away. .
Yes you are right, i am using the 78 which is 9K and i set closer to the strings and i have my other guitar loaded with the custom wound dimarzio EVH(17.6K) from the EBMM axis guitar.
I do not really like the dimarzio IF i set it close to the strings but backed off i love it as much as the 78.
Steve blucher told me on the phone that the bridge dimarzio in the EBMM guitar is a reproduction of the same pu that was in ed's main stage guitar at the time which was the 5150 kramer so i am guessing it was a JB?
cant think of too many 17K pu's back then

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:06 am

hammered wrote: I`m sure MJ at Seymour Duncan can give you insight :wink:
Took your advice and was told it is a specially calibrated model for the neck to go with the 78 bridge model.
The neck one has nothing to do with ed at all. it is a duncan only creation.
the bridge one is wound to the exact spec of what seymour had written down when eddie requested a special pu back then

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:19 am

motrock wrote:For me the Frankenstein Pickup is the right choice. .
That pu is awesome, i heard your clip with the EVH OD pedal and this guy gets a great tone with it
https://youtu.be/d31dO6lY7Wg?t=44s

topsportsmanta1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:51 pm

I have several of them ,i think they are killer ,
there so clear and harmonics leap out of them like crazy i turned mr white noise on to them he finally broke down and trusted me (lol) and now he loves them
mike