New EVH Striped Guitar and Pickups

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motrock

New EVH Striped Guitar and Pickups

Post by motrock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Hey guys, whats the deal with the new EVH Striped Strats? Anyone play them? How do they feel? How do they sound? I realize they are made from basswood; which is kind of a disappointment, however; maybe I should be open minded to this guitar? What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8DqcnxADo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second thing... how do you like the Wolfgang pickups? Someone said that they were surprisingly good. What do you guys think about that?

Trying to be open minded to the EVH Gear. I am sure its all pretty darn good. I like the 5150 III. Its a good amp. Not classic EVH, but good.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: New EVH Striped Guitar and Pickups

Post by rgorke » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Sounds pretty good and Doug is a really good player. It appears they list for $1500. I would think one could build one, arguably of better quality, and save a few quid.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Pretty much that guitar seems to be almost exactly like the 2004 era Charvel EVH Arts guitars. Maybe the heel adjustment 'mod' on this new version and the pu are different, as compared though. The Charvel Arts version basically had a Dimarzio 'Axis' (like used in the '90's EBalls) type or S Duncan 'JB',depending on who wound it. Both types ('Axis' & JB) are basically VERY similar spec (16k alnico 5). The new pu (Wolfgang/Frankenstein, etc) is 14k Alnico 2.
I think that for a nice playing (and looking :thumbsup: ) one pickup/floyd Rose build , you would have tomake/build one to do better. This guitar kills Ibanez imo.

As long as you use 9-42 stringsand tune down a half step,I think the basswood will hold up to the floyd bushings. ALOT of '80's era guitars of basswood have shifted there, due to the softness of the wood.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

motrock

Post by motrock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Well, the soundclip sounds awesome. My big deal is the neck and the pickup. I hear those necks are awesome!

motrock

Post by motrock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:01 pm

What do you guys think about the EVH Wolfgang Pickups? Are they worth a shot? I have heard a lot of good things about them as of recent!

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:14 pm

EVH tuners? :shock:

EVH toothpaste, EVH chicken sandwich.......
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I noticed the PU cavity on those is routed slightly towards the neck. Basswood? Why use that? They sound ok but for 1500 clams I could build 3 with Gotoh and KNE parts.

I wonder what the neck profile is.

The Wolf PUs are nice sounding. I thought they sound just like my Mighty Mites.
12000 Metro Kit

motrock

Post by motrock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:26 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:I noticed the PU cavity on those is routed slightly towards the neck. Basswood? Why use that? They sound ok but for 1500 clams I could build 3 with Gotoh and KNE parts.

I wonder what the neck profile is.

The Wolf PUs are nice sounding. I thought they sound just like my Mighty Mites.
I may have to check in to the Wolfgang PUs then. BTW, I have a friend that has one of the stripped guitars. I am going to test drive one. Just found out a little bit ago.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 pm

$1500??
I had heard street price of $999

You gotta play with a EVH wolfgang and I bet you will have a good idea what the striped series will sound like.
As far as the pickup?? I am wantin a evh bridge p/u. Probably will install one in my main guitar as I really really enjoyed almost every aspect of that pickup. I don't think there was anything bad I could actually say about it to be honest.

Its bright articulate like my 59 just sweeter on top but has balls and output I only wished the 59 could give.

jake5150

Post by jake5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Hey guys--I'm new. George had one of these in the shop last week and he let me take it for a whirl with a Marshall 50 watt and a Replica cab with the new creambacks. On the plus side the neck profile and (lack of) finish are comfortable and fast. But the wolfgang pickup was really hot and squealish with the amp cranked. It's a fun guitar to play, but I have to agree that you can build a better sounding replica with upgrades like big brass block, ash body, etc. for quite a bit less coin if you have the time. :rockon:
Metro Friedman Amp
True Replica Cab

efraser68

Post by efraser68 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm sure the guitars are decent quality. But it would be too irritating to have a B&W Franky with a Floyd :palm:

Nice YouTube vid, It's weird I hear my buddy from high school John, refer to himself as "Doug Steele". He and I had a band in 1984 back at Gunderson High School in San Jose. John could play like that when he was 13!
Remember Ben Wise (aka Stunt Double) & Mark Abrahamian
http://www.soundclick.com/EricFraser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVH

Post by EVH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:21 am

Sounds like basswood..... meh

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:42 am

Yeah, it did sound like basswood (a bit dull without alot of detail), But, that could have been the amp and phase 90 to 'some' degree.

GC advertises these EVH Franky's at $899. That is a decent price,but, even then, you could build any one of a Warmoth,KNE,Musikraft, USA Custom, etc, etc, and come out cheaper and BETTER.

I agree about it being 'weird' to have the graphics. I based my '06 Warmoth strat on the EVH Charvel,except I used hard ash and went with ss frets and a neck single coil. Clear nitro finish. It absolutly KILLS for a guitar with a floyd.

Oh yeah, is there a difference between the 'Frankenstein' pu and the Wolfgang ? I was under the impression that the Frankenstein was very similar to a 'CC' .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am

come on, 1500 for a singe pup basswood guitar? There's nothing on there to justify the cost other than the EVH logo... If you want to give money to eddie, do it better.. spend 800 in a nice KNE body/neck with quality parts and a boutique pup and make a bank deposit for him with the rest of the money...

Seriously, there's nothing sexy about it, even the stripes aren't that nice looking... with 1500 you can build or buy something way better...
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

Bore Em at the Forum

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:47 am

One thing to keep in mind is that the necks are 2 1/4" and the heel is not a conventional shape (more rectangular?) Pocket is a little deeper as well from what I've heard. So you aren't going to be slapping a different neck on these guitars very easily. Or moving that neck to another body......just in case someone is thinking of that as a backup plan.