motrock

Re: Learning China Town

Post by motrock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm

That main riff before the first verse I am having trouble with

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MrBeasty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 am

wjamflan wrote:PS - The song is in B flat and standard tuning on the album, while it's in A at Namm (standard tuning) and VH approved A with a bass A string on TAAHM. Don't know if he used a Steinberger, tuned up, or used a capo like we see Wolfie doing on China town, but just thought I'd mention it. It is smokin' and fun to play.....
Don't forget Ed's Drop To Hell device which he patented, was on the cover of Guitar World and in the Two & Half Men sketch ... but is yet to be released commercially (or be seen on stage).
I am suspecting he may have used it on Tattoo as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fYpkbq8jM[/youtube]

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 pm

MrBeasty wrote:
wjamflan wrote:PS - The song is in B flat and standard tuning on the album, while it's in A at Namm (standard tuning) and VH approved A with a bass A string on TAAHM. Don't know if he used a Steinberger, tuned up, or used a capo like we see Wolfie doing on China town, but just thought I'd mention it. It is smokin' and fun to play.....
Don't forget Ed's Drop To Hell device which he patented, was on the cover of Guitar World and in the Two & Half Men sketch ... but is yet to be released commercially (or be seen on stage).
I am suspecting he may have used it on Tattoo as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fYpkbq8jM[/youtube]
Thanks Beasty. I forgot about the Drop To Hell, and I'm not sure how it works. The thing about this song (As Is) is that, on the record, every string is tuned up a half step from standard except the low E, which is "dropped" down to A#. At NAMM he played it in standard tuning with no drop, and on TAAHM he played it tuned down 1/4 to 1/2 step with the low E "dropped" to A. The use of open strings in the riff requires that he play this in the key of A, so I'm interested in finding out how he raised the pitch of the strings for the record.

Can the Drop To Hell raise the pitch of all the strings like a trans trem or a capo?

No matter how he did it, it's the best riff he's come up with in years.....

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:52 pm

wjamflan wrote:Don't know if anyone's interested, but this thread inspired me to finally learn how to play the As Is riff - my favorite from the album. Here's my take:

--------H---P------------P-------P--------H---P-----H-P---------H--SL----------------H---P------
E------------------|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
B------------------|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
G------------------|-----------------------------------------|----------------2---------------------|
D------------------|---------------------0---1---0----------|---0---1---2---2---------------------|
A-----0---3---0---|---5---0---3---0----------------3--0---|-------------------------0---3---0---|
E------------------|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
-------D----------------D-------D-------D-----------------------D------------D-------D-------------
-------+---4---+-------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+--a-------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+----

-----------P-------P--------H--SL------------------SL-------------------H---P-----
E---|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
B---|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
G---|----------------------------------2------|----------------0--------------------|
D---|---------------------0---1---2----------|---2---1---0--(0)-------------------|
A---|---5---0---3---0------------------------|------------------------0---3---0---|
E---|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
---------D-------D--------D-----------D----------U-------D---U-------D-------------
---------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+----------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+----

Enjoy!

PS - The song is in B flat and standard tuning on the album, while it's in A at Namm (standard tuning) and VH approved A with a bass A string on TAAHM. Don't know if he used a Steinberger, tuned up, or used a capo like we see Wolfie doing on China town, but just thought I'd mention it. It is smokin' and fun to play.....
I agree, the tune rocks and is a showcase for Ed's rhythm riffs.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

evh100

Post by evh100 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 pm

motrock wrote:That main riff before the first verse I am having trouble with
Best i could figure out is this and it's probably wrong...

E------------------------------------------------------------3 3 3------------
B-----3 3 3 3 3---0---3 3 3-------------3 3 3 3 3---0----3 3 3------------
G-----4 4 4 4 4 ---4---4 4 4-------------4 4 4 4 4---4---4 4 4------------
D-----5 5 5 5 5--- 5---5 5 5-------------5 5 5 5 5--- 5---5 5 5-------------
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E ---------------------------------0------------------------------------0--------

E-------------------------------------------------------2----2------------------------------3
B------3 3 3 3 3---0---3 3 3--------------------------3----3------------------------------3
G-----4 4 4 4 4 ---4---4 4 4---------2---2-----------2----2------------------------------0
D-----5 5 5 5 5--- 5---5 5 5---------2---2-----------0----0-----2------------------------2
A--------------------------------------0---0-----------------------2------------------------3
E ---------------------------------3--------------3-----------------0-------------------------

Play the whole progression 2x but on the last time play the C chord instead of the E5 chord