Where Ed Plays on the Neck

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Ampnoob
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Where Ed Plays on the Neck

Post by Ampnoob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:09 pm

You guys are insane... i love this forum, very inspiring.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 am

Cheers and welcome to the forum! Even though this is an amp forum, I'm a player that can't and won't do any work on my amps...but I still learned a lot about guitar playing and amps here:)

Ampnoob
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Ampnoob » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:24 pm

garbeaj wrote:Cheers and welcome to the forum! Even though this is an amp forum, I'm a player that can't and won't do any work on my amps...but I still learned a lot about guitar playing and amps here:)
Thats whats cool about this place, most gear oriented forums dont pay much attention to actually playing the damn thing LOL

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Ampnoob wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Cheers and welcome to the forum! Even though this is an amp forum, I'm a player that can't and won't do any work on my amps...but I still learned a lot about guitar playing and amps here:)
Thats whats cool about this place, most gear oriented forums dont pay much attention to actually playing the damn thing LOL
Well honestly this one doesn't either...it is basically three or four guys that really talk about Ed's fingerings. But I've learned a lot from our tiny discussions!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:52 am

wjamflan wrote:In all honesty, that open string note is the only one I've never been sure of. I know there's a note there, and it's quick, so I've always just played it like I'm The One. None of the transcriptions have it in there, and I've slowed it down 150% and still can't tell for sure. It sounds like it could be this instead:

------------------H----P------------H----P-------------P----------H------H----P------------P-----------------P----P------------------------
E------------------------------------------------7--------------------------------------7--------------------------------------------------------
B----------7---7---10---7-------7---10---7--------10---7-------------7---10---7-------10---7-------7----------------------7--------------
G---9------------------------9----------------------------------7---9-------------------------------9-------10---9---7---9--------7----------
-----D-----D---U------------U---D--------------D---U---------D-------D-------------D---U--------U---D---U-------------D---D---U---------

This doesn't flow well, but the D sounds more accurate than the open B. What do the rest of you think??
Well all these years later (Bill's original post was in May of 2011!) I finally have my Kramer build complete. It is still my only Floyd Rose equipped guitar and I was going to get into the "Panama" solo as soon as it was ready. I'm a patient son of a bitch when it comes to getting my guitars put together and set up!

Anyway, I've been working on "Panama" and I have to say that I think Bill is right (AGAIN!)...These fingering and picking directions seem to work for me and the slowed down version of the album solo that he posted seems to confirm this fingering. Again, it is all about the "Sitting On Top Of The World" cadenza style licks...this is key to getting it to flow right. just like in the Steven Rosen interview breakdown of the "You Really Got Me" ending cadenza.

Thanks again Bill...I'm really getting the recorded version under my fingers now. I really think this is the way Ed plays it. You are right when you say the part that you had previously noted as the open B string doesn't "flow" as easily when played with the above fingering, but I think this is how Ed played it nonetheless. Even that part is really a Clapton move too...

------H------H----P----
E------------------------
B-----------7---10---7--
G--7---9-----------------
----D-------D-------------

Maybe I'll tackle the Letterman version next! :thumbsup:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:58 pm

garbeaj wrote:
wjamflan wrote:In all honesty, that open string note is the only one I've never been sure of. I know there's a note there, and it's quick, so I've always just played it like I'm The One. None of the transcriptions have it in there, and I've slowed it down 150% and still can't tell for sure. It sounds like it could be this instead:

------------------H----P------------H----P-------------P----------H------H----P------------P-----------------P----P------------------------
E------------------------------------------------7--------------------------------------7--------------------------------------------------------
B----------7---7---10---7-------7---10---7--------10---7-------------7---10---7-------10---7-------7----------------------7--------------
G---9------------------------9----------------------------------7---9-------------------------------9-------10---9---7---9--------7----------
-----D-----D---U------------U---D--------------D---U---------D-------D-------------D---U--------U---D---U-------------D---D---U---------

This doesn't flow well, but the D sounds more accurate than the open B. What do the rest of you think??
Well all these years later (Bill's original post was in May of 2011!) I finally have my Kramer build complete. It is still my only Floyd Rose equipped guitar and I was going to get into the "Panama" solo as soon as it was ready. I'm a patient son of a bitch when it comes to getting my guitars put together and set up!

Anyway, I've been working on "Panama" and I have to say that I think Bill is right (AGAIN!)...These fingering and picking directions seem to work for me and the slowed down version of the album solo that he posted seems to confirm this fingering. Again, it is all about the "Sitting On Top Of The World" cadenza style licks...this is key to getting it to flow right. just like in the Steven Rosen interview breakdown of the "You Really Got Me" ending cadenza.

Thanks again Bill...I'm really getting the recorded version under my fingers now. I really think this is the way Ed plays it. You are right when you say the part that you had previously noted as the open B string doesn't "flow" as easily when played with the above fingering, but I think this is how Ed played it nonetheless. Even that part is really a Clapton move too...

------H------H----P----
E------------------------
B-----------7---10---7--
G--7---9-----------------
----D-------D-------------

Maybe I'll tackle the Letterman version next! :thumbsup:
So where exactly is this lick? The beginning of the solo?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:21 pm

This small part that I was talking about is in bold type...This whole lick comes right after the Chuck Berry part at the beginning of the solo...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:40 am

garbeaj wrote:I have mentioned this to Doug and others, but the funny thing about this lick is that Eddie had one "pose" that he did whenever he played this lick live. When I was a kid, I thought it was a pose, but it is actually a "body position" that makes it easier to play this one specific lick. We all know what this position/"pose" is: :rock:

I seriously have found that I can't even begin to play this lick in any other position standing up. Otherwise I would have to do it sitting down or with a high slung guitar; especially when I try to do the lick in the wjamflan style with the pinky 16th to 19th fret hammer-ons! :help:
Here's another later pic of Ed from the 1984 tour where he is playing the "Ice Cream Man" stretch...he had to hold the neck right up to his face to play the lick...kind've like I do in my demo of this lick:

And another from the 5150 tour...same positioning: