Super Distortion rocks! (MkII)

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

azazael
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Super Distortion rocks! (MkII)

Post by azazael » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 am

How do the new ones compare to the old ones??

Reason asking its easier to obtain and get colour etc I want.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 am

azazael wrote:How do the new ones compare to the old ones??

I use a new DSD pickup. ;)
Mark

azazael

Post by azazael » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:15 am

rockstah wrote:

Mark
So they haven't made any drastic changes to the design?

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 am

azazael wrote:
rockstah wrote:

Mark
they probably have but doesnt matter to me though.
Mark

Ed Hunter

Post by Ed Hunter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:
Keep in mind Dimarzio also had a 7K version wiht the exact same output. As well so did Mightymite. One of the Mightymites sold on ebay for $20 last week. 7K but same high output. Looking at a pic of Ed's guitars and judging what pickup it is by color or bobbins appearence is misleading in some sense. Ed likes PAF's, perhaps all those MM's and DSD were in fact the 7K versions with the high 425mv outputs.
dimarzio never had a 7K version?
It was and still is a 8.7K model known as the super 2(DP 104) . it is a super distortion with less bass and more treble for the neck spot to pair up with a DSD in the bridge they both have the same ouput
mighty mite had a version as well called the vintage(mm1400) which was a 9k ceramic meant for the neck to pair up with their (mm1300) screamer. these were copies of the dimarzio's.
there is a n vintage mighty mite screamer 1300 on ebay right now.

Ed Hunter

Post by Ed Hunter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:18 am

azazael wrote:
rockstah wrote:

Mark
yeah one change, they are potted now but everything else is the same. but if you are after VH's tone you want it potted since he was potting the DSD in 76 :lol:

Blix

Post by Blix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:53 am

Mine must be potted, it behaved at plenty gain and loud :)

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 am

What value pots y'all guys use?

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:16 am

The blisterbucker was definitly a2. It was hotter than the wolf's but totally lacked any cut. It had overtones that I liked. But lack of solid definition, total lack of tightness, totally mushy pick attack, fed back way to easy and non musically. For some reason though it sounded alot better through a randall solid state rh100 head actually. Sounded terrible through my 5153 & peacemaker though. It did not take long to pedal it off at all as there was a bunch of rave when it first popped up here, but after using it a few times I was certain it was not it.
It wasn't until I played some prs and gibson guitars at a local music store into the same amps that had paf type knockoffs to decide I would go after the 59. Thing I find with the 59 is little lack of that mid honk and doesn't get crazy enough for the sizzle and burn. Other than that I love the 59. Its name sounds generic but is a good pickup all in all.

So far 500 pots on all my axes.

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 am

Blix wrote:Yeah it's weird, the on paper super high output had me expecting mud, and it turns out being a super clear and open sounding pickup, quite the surprise. Mine meaures 13.53k btw.
ACtually most A2's running into a 12 series dimed are mud....especially if your bass isn't between 0-2..

Ceramics are the least muddy sounding pu that you can passively make! The low freq are heavily attenuated in comparison to an A2

Blix

Post by Blix » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 am

cary chilton wrote:
Blix wrote:Yeah it's weird, the on paper super high output had me expecting mud, and it turns out being a super clear and open sounding pickup, quite the surprise. Mine meaures 13.53k btw.
ACtually most A2's running into a 12 series dimed are mud....especially if your bass isn't between 0-2..

Ceramics are the least muddy sounding pu that you can passively make! The low freq are heavily attenuated in comparison to an A2
True, I think the muddiest humbucker's I've ever tried is the A2 Epi pickups that came on the Kramer Pacer Classic(the cheap Indo made), they were horrible.

I don't find the CC and EVH Frankenstein very muddy though. Definitely softer of course, but still clear.
But for fast attack and punch, ceramic certainly rocks!

Blix

Post by Blix » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 am

SteadyEddie wrote:What value pots y'all guys use?
I use a DiMarzio 500K volume pot.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:17 am

Ed Hunter wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:
Keep in mind Dimarzio also had a 7K version wiht the exact same output. As well so did Mightymite. One of the Mightymites sold on ebay for $20 last week. 7K but same high output. Looking at a pic of Ed's guitars and judging what pickup it is by color or bobbins appearence is misleading in some sense. Ed likes PAF's, perhaps all those MM's and DSD were in fact the 7K versions with the high 425mv outputs.
dimarzio never had a 7K version?
It was and still is a 8.7K model known as the super 2(DP 104) . it is a super distortion with less bass and more treble for the neck spot to pair up with a DSD in the bridge they both have the same ouput
mighty mite had a version as well called the vintage(mm1400) which was a 9k ceramic meant for the neck to pair up with their (mm1300) screamer. these were copies of the dimarzio's.
there is a n vintage mighty mite screamer 1300 on ebay right now.
There are a few that pop up from time to time that measure from 7-9K. I have an old one. At first I thought it was one of the coils shorting but since they are wired in series you would get no reading. I took it apart and measured the coils independantly and they measured high 3 range. Definately not a new one. The super2 didnt come out until long after the original, and I dont believe it had the hex poles either. I recently got another "oldie" from a former well know 80's musician that reads high 7K as well. I do find it interesting that although the super2 has a much smaller DC reading, it has close to the same output(ma) as the original SD.
Just saying based on my objective findings. :mrgreen:
12000 Metro Kit

Blix

Post by Blix » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:32 am

I don't think there's been different versions of the DSD, except the Dual Sound, which just is a splittable DSD anyway.

Super 2 came out in 77', hex poles as well.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:44 am

Blix wrote:I don't think there's been different versions of the DSD, except the Dual Sound, which just is a splittable DSD anyway.

Super 2 came out in 77', hex poles as well.
Your right, I was reading the Dimarzio site wrong, and they have a new pic of that with none hex pole pieces. So its still possible then the pickups we see in Ed's guitars, being Dimarzio or the Mighty mites, could be either of these 2 versions. They sound good regardless.
12000 Metro Kit