800 filter cap question

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ivabiggun

800 filter cap question

Post by Ivabiggun » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 am

Hi George and fellow tone nuts. I was wondering why you decided to use 50/50uf caps instead of the 100uf/350V ones used on the original. Was it to keep costs down? Sozo has their new Blue Royal caps and I wanted to see if anyone had used them or if just using the 100uf's, any brand, would make a difference in the sound. I know what a stickler you are for authenticity and the originals used 100uf's in series.

Secondly, please correct me if I am wrong here, but I can only see one difference between the JTM's and the JMP circuits. That being on the JMP circuit there is a 100fp cap across the cathode/plate terminals on V1a and it is not there on the JMP circuit. I think I said that right. An earlier post stated that the JMP amps had a smoother distortion as opposed to a buzz saw sound from the later ones. My apologies if I did not get that quite right.

Thanks for the help as always

Yankees kick but.
Iva
"Sign zee papers, old man"

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 800 filter cap question

Post by demonufo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Um, I've never ever seen 100uf/350V caps in any master volume marshall, be it JMP, or JCM800 era.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Structo
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Structo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:06 pm

The 100pf cap is known as a snubber cap and is used to smooth the overdrive a bit.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Actually, it's there to stop oscillations, and has very little audible effect at all (if any).
You'll find that quite a few JCM800 amps didn't have this cap fitted. Sometimes it's needed to calm things down a little, other times not. With good lead dress and good shielding it shouldn't be necessary.
When using shielded cable on V1, it definitely is not necessary IMO.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!