JMP-1 with Metro 12,000

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Classic 59
Just the numbers in order: 7

JMP-1 with Metro 12,000

Post by Classic 59 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Has anyone used an JMP-1 in front of their Metro 12,000 amplifier? I have been thinking about purchasing a JMP-1 for quite some time.

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: JMP-1 with Metro 12,000

Post by chrisom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 pm

I keep mentioning this, but nobody seems really warm to the idea. In the past, I've ran an ADA MP-1 into a the various inputs of a mid-seventies Marshall "Lead & Bass" 50-watt 2x12 combo (w/ 4 inputs), as well as my JMP-1 into a Marshall Class 5, and my Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp into a Fender Bronco, plus an old RCA tube mixer amp for microphones.

I currently run one output of my JMP-1 into the effects return of my 30-watt Marshall Artist head for my dry sound, with the other output going to my Lexicon which outputs to 2 channels of my mixer board (or to my Marshall 9005 50/50 power amp) for stereo effects. Every one of these layouts has sounded great and provided tremendous flexibility with the added benefit of still retaining the slave amplifier's stock circuits for when you want to use those as well.

Gary Moore used to use the JMP-1 straight into the board to track with in the studio according to a recently printed interview. Soldano says the JMP-1 is not true tube because it has diode-based clipping. Mine only has (2) Groove Tubes 12AX7 tubes in it, where the Soldano & Boogie has (6) tubes, so I get his point, but the JMP-1 just sounds so GREAT to me for vintage or modern Marshall sounds.

I bought mine on Craigslist for $350 and when I went to get it, the guy plugged in a cheap Peavey guitar and let me listen to it through the headphone output to make sure it worked. I was amazed at how authentically Marshall it sounded through just headphones! That Peavey must have had hot pickups though, because it didn't sound quite as killer with my Seymour Duncan '59 pickup in my SG when I got it home. But what the hey? Everyone here says you need a bit hotter pickup into Marshalls anyway to get the "killer" sound...

So I highly recommend it. I sold the ADA and the Boogie years ago to fund other gear purchases, but I'm never selling my JMP-1. In fact, I'm looking for another one to have as a backup if it's priced right. :thumbsup: :listen: :rock: