Looking into international freight options

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Looking into international freight options

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:24 pm

I've had several inquires over the last few weeks about shipping amps, cabinets and combos internationally. To date we have not had a carrier who can accommodate all of our needs, mostly due to package size. The major shipping companies, FEDEX, DHL etc are returning quotes in the $700 USD range to ship a 4-12 True Replica cab abroad. This is too high obviously and is prevents us from making these cabs available worldwide.

Dave and I are talking to several new shipping companies to find the right fit for our products. It's clear who does not want to handle our large packages by the outrageous quotes they return. Fortunately, a few carriers show potential and we are following through.

I apologize for not having this service in place years ago, please know that we will find a suitable solution.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

ducblancpale
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Looking into international freight options

Post by ducblancpale » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi George,

Do you have a business account with them? You can also try TNT or Bax Global.

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Jeff Swanson had my tall 4x12 with three empty head cabs inside shipped to me in Norway for something like $350 by TNT.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm

We have shipped using Bax on several occasions and we are speaking to them. In some countries they will only deliver to the nearest major airport.

I have not shipped outbound with TNT, but I have brought stuff inbound with them. Also talking to their rep.

Thanks for the suggestions!

george

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi George,

i've dealt a lot with the problem of shipping from US to Europe and i think you might find this service useful: http://www.ipsparcel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've heard only positive references and stuff i've shipped through them was really literally at least 50% cheaper than shipping straight through one of the carriers they use.

Maybe just try their site for a quote. Might be that a 4x12 packaged would be too big for this to be useable though. But i think it's worth a try.

Good luck and best regards,

VintageCharlie

62sg

Post by 62sg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:38 pm

VG...look into this co:

http://www.emotrans.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have an office in Romulus.
JOHN

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 pm

I tried emotrans.com. I left two voice mails and did one online quote. No one ever got back to me. Not sure if a 4x12 to Italy was out of their league but since no one got back to me I guess I won't find out.

I'm going to try TNT and IPS and see if they'd like my business.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

shakti

Post by shakti » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:16 am

For really large shipments to Norway and Sweden there's also the option of JetCarrier. The customer has to register with JetCarrier and gets a PO Box address at their offices in New Jersey. Then you simply ship the goods to this PO Box address, and JetCarrier does the rest. They have the option of air or sea freight, so the latter works well as a cheap option if you have really large and/or heavy items. I did discover though that in the case of a large 4x12, it was only marginally more to have it shipped directly to Norway with TNT.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 pm

We are still working on this. But have been delayed getting ready for the South Eastern Guitar and Amp Show this weekend in North Carolina and the LA Amp Show next weekend in California.

It's in my hands now to return calls to carriers and pick the best service and prices. I haven't forgot, just been busy.

George

wrea398

Post by wrea398 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

FREIGHTQUOTE.com I have used them within the states alot with great prices , not internationlly. They are great at finding the lowest prices in the USA. Mabey they have what you are looking for internationally. They are just a broker. Finding the best deal is thier job. Good Luck.

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:28 am

the cheapest shipping I've got recently was when I ordered two big kits from weber
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

mrpicard

Post by mrpicard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:25 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:We have shipped using Bax on several occasions...
In Australia Bax are now owned by Schenkar. Schenkar are pretty expensive and locally they charge heaps of fees for "airport charges", "transfer fees", "holding fees" etc, etc so even if the price starts off being cheaper than Fedex etc all these additional fees means it always ends up being a lot more expensive. I had a 4 x 12" cabinet (no speakers) shipped from the USA and it cost $USD900 for door-to-door and when it got to Australia they charged another $AUD350 on top in additional charges - this was not taxes/duties it was additional delivery fees.

Woolly Mammoth

Post by Woolly Mammoth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey guys,

We are still trying to figure out something that will work for international shipping.

There are several things that are holding us back.
There are a lot more regulations since 9/11.
It is a problem that we run a business out of a residence, they can not pick up freight shipments from a residence that will be shipped internationally.
I asked about us dropping off at an airport shipping office... they said no go !
I was also told that magnets, even speaker magnets, are considered "dangerous materials" so there is more paperwork and more regulations involved with shipping loaded speaker cabs.

I will continue to work on this...but a reasonable shipping solution does not look promising at this time.

We will update if we find anything,

DAVE

BAinFL

Post by BAinFL » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:37 am

I spent the last 5 years working for a company that provided shipboard communication equipment (satellite, digital HF radios and PC/Server equipment.) We sent every size/weight package imaginable to practically every port city in the world. Bottom line is...it's not economical. Moving individual large pieces, reliably, by airfreight is ALWAYS expensive. We spent over $100,000 a month on freight and never found a magic bullet. If you aren't using a single carrier to go door to door, you're dealing with 3 companies (plus a broker who organizes it all) Company A takes it form your door to your airport. Company B provides the airfreight. Company C picks it up at the destination airport and handles ground transport to the customers doorstep. Fuel charges, ground transport fees, broker charges...it adds up fast. Now with fuel prices climbing the way they are... We were HAPPY when we got a quote on a F77 terminal (about 2 - 4x12 cabs in DIMMS) that was under $1200 to Europe. In my experience, UK, Spain, Germany, Netherlands are easy to work with and there's rarely a hiccup. Italy, Greece, Ireland are usually a headache with long delays and everywhere else in the EU falls somewhere in between.

Sorry to be a rain cloud on this subject, but I wanted to offer a little reality on international airfreight. It ain't easy or cheap once the packages get bigger and heavier. The only real upside is that since it's airfreight, total delivery time is often 48-72 hours to many larger European cities.

-Bram
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

jposey

Post by jposey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 am

Wow, what great thread. I really learned a lot in this thread. Big thanks for posting. Hope to see more posts like this.