New Owner of Unholy Trinity JTM40/100 with questions

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

frankcastle
Just the numbers in order: 13492

New Owner of Unholy Trinity JTM40/100 with questions

Post by frankcastle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Hello everyone!

Sorry I don't know where to post this question. I really hope George sees this as I think he might be the only one who can answer it.

I'm the proud owner of the Unholy Trinity an amp built by Metro, ****** and Friedman!

It sounds great but I have one question......

How much noise should this amp make? Most of my amps are modern ones like 6505+ and Stiletto Deuce and JCA50.

What I have found is that when I warm of the amp and then go from "standby" to "on" there is a noticeable hum/buzz that comes from my 2x12 cabinet. None of my other heads make this much noise.

Here's what I have tried so far
1) change guitar cables
2) unplug all pedals
3) switched from power bar to wall outlet
4) checked for loose tubes
5) made sure computers and other electronics in the room were turned off

The amp arrived with the tubes numbered and bubble wrapped. So I put them back in in the same order. That was my first time putting in tubes. I think I did it correctly as the pre amp tubes and power tubes can only fit in the slots in one way.

I am using a guitar with two humbuckers.

Now from what I understand these are fairly noisey amps and with a master volume and gain added the matter should be more severe.

I happen to also have my friend's vintage Marshall Super PA 100 (not sure what year) and it too was also quite noisey.

To complicate matters I went to my local music store which has a modded handwired JMP with master volume and a few other mods and it is dead quiet. But this could just be apples to oranges as they have special rooms wired for amp demos so who knows what other X factors there are.

I hope the amp is not damaged but it was 76 pounds and I watched the person at the post office drag it like a dead body. I wanted to jump over the counter but that's probably against the law. lol

Edit:

A follow up.....

I moved the amp out the corner of the room away from a bunch of half inch steel rods and an electrical outlet.

I took the tubes out a second time. Rubbed off a tiny amount of whitish grit off of a few pins,

Left the back cover off. Not sure but I think a tiny allen key fell out of the back of the amp.

Now it is far more quiet. To a point where it doesn't seem out of place from my other amps.

But there is still a drop in the remaining background noise when I touch a metal part of the guitar.

Does this mean there is a grounding issue with the amp?

neikeel

Re: New Owner of Unholy Trinity JTM40/100 with questions

Post by neikeel » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Sounds quite normal now, does the amp have a metal (aluminium) sheet inside under the chassis?

Is that the amp on Youtube being given a run with a white SG?
Neil

frankcastle
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: New Owner of Unholy Trinity JTM40/100 with questions

Post by frankcastle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:44 pm

I'll have to take a look to see if there is aluminum below the chasis. Not at home right now.

It might be the one in the video. That person was looking to sell and it was shipped from New Mexico. I think the person in the video may have been in California. I would love to ask George how many of these amps he made. There might only be one as from one description on a dead reverb ad it said it was a prototype.

The master volume seems to control the volume of the hum. At higher volumes it sounds fairly intense. At bedroom volumes it is more subtle.