I need a/some mentor/s over the phone

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

dtdionne

Re: I need a/some mentor/s over the phone

Post by dtdionne » Sat May 02, 2009 7:56 pm

FWIW, I had never really picked up a soldering iron and I built the 100w kit in 11 days. The instructions are great.
Late 70's EVH tone or bust

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Wed May 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Nobody wants to talk to me? :(

Toad
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Toad » Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 am

Did you order one of Georges kits yet?
Todd

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am

Toad wrote:Did you order one of Georges kits yet?
Todd
No not yet, I have some bills I need to take care of first... Im married :(

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Thu May 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Well, that's where you need to start before trying to get advice over the phone.
First things first, build an amp. Then once you've followed those cracking instructions, you'll have learned a few more terms (i.e. which cap/resistor is which).
Then carry out a few simple mods.
Read all the stickies as well, these have a wealth of information.
You'll learn that some components have to be changed in relation to another, for instance just changing the resistor in the tonestack doesn't work very nicely at all. You really need to change the capacitor with it.
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one for instance is a very important thread.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... g+rockstah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For anybody who might potentially build a 12??? EVH replica amp this is pretty essential reading as well. Not only 12 series builders though, this thread gives you a good understanding of many changes in the circuitry, and component upgrades. Sound clips all the way through help.

Read, read and read all the decent books you can get your hands on, then begin to apply the information now that you know all the terms of the components.

Then once you've built a few amps and know your stuff a little, might be the right time to start discussing things with those around here who have way more experience than tinkerers such as myself.

Patience grasshopper, the best things do not come easily, or quickly I'm afraid.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

bulatovic

Post by bulatovic » Thu May 07, 2009 1:54 pm

That's my suggestion as well. Go get a kit. It doesn't need to be a Metro, it doesn't need to be a Plexi. If you want to start from "scratch" maybe build a 5w Fender Champ. Just to introduce yourself to the game of ampbuilding slowly. Not that i don't recommend doing something like 100w for the first build ever, it's just my experience that it's maybe better to start from easier projects.
Also, talking to someone on the phone or asking questions on forums is helpful really, but it doesn't make much sence to talk about the difference in, say, shared vs split cathodes if you haven't heard it, or the difference in NFB resistor values and stuff...

Theory is good to know, but useless if you can't use it.

I know that from many things - maybe the best one is the university system in my country - Serbia - if you study electronics, you will need to pass ALLLL theory tests and it will be AGES since you do some "live" work making things, pracitising. Really helpful if you want to teach that later on, but crap if you are competing with someone who has studied in proper place where he's been building stuff while learning theory.

Honestly, choose a project that will suite your budget, read A LOT about it, make sure you know which wire goes where - almost without looking at the layout, and I guarantee that you'll really enjoy learning that stuff rather than just reading from the books.
I've built my first amp (5F2a clone) with literally no knowledge at all, and it turned out crap, but given time, and doing some homework, as well as some experience it all comes together nicely.

Everyone started from zero, so don't rush it, take your time, enjoy learning stuff but also building and playing these amps.
Good luck with it!
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

bdc

Post by bdc » Mon May 11, 2009 9:10 pm

You don't need anybody on the phone, you just need to keep reading and post your questions one at a time......We're all learning at our own pace.......
If you want somebodys undivided attention, you'll have to sweeten the pot.....
I used to pay techs to work on my gear, and hang out and watch while making friends.....Buy the beer!
Meanwhile I carefully and respectfully asked questions.......Made good friends and learned a lot.....This soon enough had me diving inside of my own amps. I don't understand players who don't want to do this for themselves, unless they're loaded with cash. When you have friends like that it helps a lot, Most amp techs are players too.....Talk to them about playing! My tech became one of my best friends and jam buddies.......I miss that dude, and need to get back in touch..
When a guy explains something to you, you gotta do your best to show you understand it....When the guy likes you and knows your listening, he's more apt to teach you more......I've always found great mutual ground with techs in playing and talking about music........These relationships are give and take.....and you gotta bring something to the table bro.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Mon May 11, 2009 9:57 pm

bdc wrote:You don't need anybody on the phone, you just need to keep reading and post your questions one at a time......We're all learning at our own pace.......
If you want somebodys undivided attention, you'll have to sweeten the pot.....
I used to pay techs to work on my gear, and hang out and watch while making friends.....Buy the beer!
Meanwhile I carefully and respectfully asked questions.......Made good friends and learned a lot.....This soon enough had me diving inside of my own amps. I don't understand players who don't want to do this for themselves, unless they're loaded with cash. When you have friends like that it helps a lot, Most amp techs are players too.....Talk to them about playing! My tech became one of my best friends and jam buddies.......I miss that dude, and need to get back in touch..
When a guy explains something to you, you gotta do your best to show you understand it....When the guy likes you and knows your listening, he's more apt to teach you more......I've always found great mutual ground with techs in playing and talking about music........These relationships are give and take.....and you gotta bring something to the table bro.
All I have is money, I dont know a damn thing about amps compared to most of you.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 pm

What you're missing here slashsound, is that it's not about money sir. There's a wealth of information, but you're going to need to start at the beginning, and need a frame of reference to understand it all.

Once you have at least a bit more understanding in PRACTICAL application, the other stuff will clarify a lot of itself for you. Especially once you start modding things and understanding what changes do what.

It's not going to do any good to pay someone to lecture you if you haven't or aren't willing to get your hands dirty at the same time.

it's all well and good to know how to run a marathon, but if you're not actually running, a lot of the tricks aren't going to make sense.

I hope that's helpful, I'm not trying to bag on you.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee