your opinions on component choices in a 50watt (1987) build

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

your opinions on component choices in a 50watt (1987) build

Post by danman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello everyone! I have been reading this great forum for several months now and decided it was about time I join seeing that I have a new 50watt build coming up. I have learned quite a bit from everyone here and I am sure that I will be needing help on the upcoming project. I have done general maintenance work on my amps as well as various component changes over the years so I feel comfortable working inside the amps chassis. I have also been reading quite a bit in the past few years trying to increase my knowledge in electrical theory but I have to say the math is always the hardest part for me. As for this project, I have been collecting various components over the past few months and I have almost everything in order to get started. I was able to source a set of Piher carbon films (all but 1-15k resistor), a set of mustards in several values except for the .68's and will be buying the iron for it next week I hope. The chassis and other hardware are all from Valvestorm The only parts I am still uncertain of are the elecrolytics for the mains and preamps. I noticed that Valvestorm has Erie and ARS caps that have been reformed and also offer the F&T brand. Do you fellas have any preferences or opinions on either of these brands? Would you builders trust the reformed brands in your builds or only stick with the newer prodution? I have done a search here on the forum and could not find any current info so I would really appreciate your thoughts on the subject before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance for your help.

rgorke

Re: your opinions on component choices in a 50watt (1987) bu

Post by rgorke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm

As long as the electrolytics are reformed, they should be good to go.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

danman

Re: your opinions on component choices in a 50watt (1987) bu

Post by danman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply! I went ahead and purchased the NOS Erie 32/32 for the preamp board and opted for the new ARS cans for the mains and screens. Can't wait to finish it up this week and fire it up for the first time! Next thing on the list is a pair of Scumbacks to really do the amp justice!