Temolo-ish Sound in "Wild Thing" Monterey Pop

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Brandon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Temolo-ish Sound in "Wild Thing" Monterey Pop

Post by Brandon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Can anyone tell me what that tremolo-ish sound going on in Wild Thing at Monterey Pop Festival ('67) is?

You can hear it most promenently at the begining when he strikes those intro chords.

What's going on there?? :what: It doesn't sound normal or like an effect to me at all. Were there any 45/100's with tremolo?

It almost sounds like the amp is going out or something.

Ydna

Re: Temolo-ish Sound in "Wild Thing" Monterey Pop

Post by Ydna » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:21 am

I think it is a combination of going out of tune, and I think the power tubes were on their way out. I know the guy that bought the amp in 71, Dickinson, he said it came with those tubes, and he got that crackling sound out of it. Maybe the tubes were unmatched or something. Idk. There are 45/100s with tremelo, though I have never heard what it sounds like. But the Dickinson amp doesn't have tremelo.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:04 am

he was daisy chained into those fender amps that were a supplied back line and they probably had tremolo

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 am

i don't hear any tremolo amp into wilde thing, i can hear these tremolo from the very loud sound, distortions, whammy bar , harmonics, strings dissonances.

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 am

the sound is more like two frequencies beating against each other as if the amp is failing or power supply is pumping trying to keep up with the demand ... if you ever wound out a tweed champ and made it completely saturate youd recognize the sound

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

Ydna

Post by Ydna » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 am

I was on amp archives, and came arcross this:

http://www.amparchives.com/album/Marsha ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tremelo isn't there on the stuff without a univibe.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:31 am

that is the Dickinson/Monterrey amp

Ydna

Post by Ydna » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 am

Yea, that is the amp that Brandon is talking about.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I have always believed that tremolo sound results from beat tones created by out of tune strings...The guitar was indeed out of tune and it has just that pulse created by slightly out of tune notes. You hear the same sound at the very end of "You Shook Me" towards the end of the call and response interplay between Jimmy and Robert when Jimmy plays an "octave double bend"-bending the A on the 14th fret,G-string up to B while simultaneously plucking and holding the B on the B-string, 12th fret and holding until you hear the beat tones. You can control the speed of these beat tones by slightly releasing or bending the string back up-almost like kicking off the "Fast" speed on a Leslie cabinet to the "Slow" speed and getting that Mars Bonfire "Born To Be Wild" effect.

But I think Hendrix got this sound quite by accident from the chaos at Monterey. The amp and Fuzzface accentuates these "pulses" as well...the volume is turned down on the guitar putting the guitar in "rhythm mode" while the Fuzzface is engaged and you can really hear this tremolo-like effect when he is strumming. He later turns the volume knob on the guitar full-up to engage the full throttle fuzz for leads. This of course is what he does for the entire Monterey show-switching from overdriven rhythm to full out fuzz by raising and lowering the volume knob of the guitar, controlling the always-on Fuzzface.

Ydna

Post by Ydna » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't think the fuzz face was on the whole set though.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead

heatpad

Post by heatpad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 am

Ydna wrote:I don't think the fuzz face was on the whole set though.
It certainly was.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Here is a clip of me playing a quick instrumental verion of the Monterey arrangement of "Killing Floor" (badly) at an open mic at a small coffee house in Houston,TX in 1993. You can hear how I roll the volume knob to go from rhythm to full on fuzz lead as Hendrix did...the Fuzzface stays on the whole time. I used my '68 Strat, my '65 Super Reverb, an original TS-808 Tube Screamer and a Dunlop reissue silicone based Fuzzface I bought in '88...it is low volume and not my best tone or playing, but I think you can get the idea of what I'm talking about here...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWUY3ewSErA[/youtube]

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Because of that model's lower filtering you are hearing A LOT of the effect we call "ghosting" where two notes that are slightly out of pitch are beating against each other and the power supply is struggling to keep up. Consdering that Jimi had it dimed with the Fuzzface maxed it was really puking the amp and speakers which sounded like they were all on their last leg!LOL! :jimi:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:58 pm

No fuzz on monterey's wilde thing, about the way the amp produces cracks. just the amp ... the amp doing cracks into the distortion. this is not a fuzz. the amp is fuzzy by itself. special amp ...

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Xplorer wrote:No fuzz on monterey's wilde thing, about the way the amp produces cracks. just the amp ... the amp doing cracks into the distortion. this is not a fuzz. the amp is fuzzy by itself. special amp ...
You know, sometimes I wonder if some of you know and have had any experience at all with using a fuzzface into a dimed Marshall at all?!!!! :palm: :scratch: :what: The amp is cracking all through the feedback intro and through the entire song due to a bad cord or probably an arching in the amp, most likely a tube going south or tranny arching internally. It could have been any of those things since Jimi was so rough on his rig and it was obvious it was acting up. The fuzz is left on for the entire time as can be easily heard when he turns the volume up and down for the wild feedback intro and the "Stranger's in the Night" solo. The rig was raging, wide open and there is no way all that cacophony can be created using only the amp by itself!