BOG fuzz question

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: BOG fuzz question

Post by Xplorer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 am

no problem.
may i ask you the voltages on your fuzz ? you know, on the transistors pins, resistors, caps .. is it possible ? so, finding a vintage germanium with this hfe and a result also seen on the voltage angle, once on board, it could be fine ! in the right direction !

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 am

Xplorer wrote:no problem.
may i ask you the voltages on your fuzz ? you know, on the transistors pins, resistors, caps .. is it possible ? so, finding a vintage germanium with this hfe and a result also seen on the voltage angle, once on board, it could be fine ! in the right direction !
I never look at voltage in a simple circuit like this because the only value I'm concerned with is the battery which needs to read higher since the originals were somewhere around 10-12v anyway. Making one of these pedals sound great is just a matter of tweaking especially the trannies until you get something that sounds complimentary and "right" as far as the fuzz character is concerned. It just circuit voodoo (adjusting values and trannies) until you get it right. I wish it was more concrete but it just isn't!

Alnico

Post by Alnico » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 am

swankmotee wrote:
I never look at voltage in a simple circuit like this because the only value I'm concerned with is the battery which needs to read higher since the originals were somewhere around 10-12v anyway. Making one of these pedals sound great is just a matter of tweaking especially the trannies until you get something that sounds complimentary and "right" as far as the fuzz character is concerned. It just circuit voodoo (adjusting values and trannies) until you get it right. I wish it was more concrete but it just isn't!
What a load of twaddle. :palm:

It isn't "voodoo" and you certainly do need to look at voltages if you want to understand it and make it work properly. :roll:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 pm

I think like most of these things with experience you get to know what works and what does not work in a set up but surely a scientific approach to these things is a good basis to start, all of the components have operating parameters that need to be optimised (mind you valves are there to be abused :evil: )
Last edited by neikeel on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Alnico wrote:
swankmotee wrote:
What a load of twaddle. :palm:

It isn't "voodoo" and you certainly do need to look at voltages if you want to understand it and make it work properly. :roll:
Thats funny since I build pedals for a living?!!! :shrug: If you want to read voltages then by all means have at it but it really doesn't matter since it is such a simple circuit and all you really need to do is use your ear to tune it. Your results may vary!LOL! :roll:

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 pm

I would hope most have seen this ...

it covers the basics and explains how to make them sound good

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/f ... fffram.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can also sympathize with those who do not want to share their Voodoo ...

I have friends who bring me stuff and ask me to dial it in & I tell them

just do this .... and they say "I don't have the ears you do" ...

My Italian grandmother cooked fabulously brilliant meals her entire life

I do not believe she owned a cookbook

P
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:17 pm

parkhead wrote:I would hope most have seen this ...

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/f ... fffram.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P
Well, just to clarify, I have no Voodoo I'm hiding because it's all out there like on the Keen page and other fuzz related sites for any DIY'r to dig into just like myself. It's such a simple circuit and the real voodoo is just trying different trannies until you get a tone happening that you like and your ears will be the final judge of what is right. :rocker:

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:28 am

swankmotee wrote:
parkhead wrote:I would hope most have seen this ...

P
Well, just to clarify, I have no Voodoo I'm hiding because it's all out there like on the Keen page and other fuzz related sites for any DIY'r to dig into just like myself. It's such a simple circuit and the real voodoo is just trying different trannies until you get a tone happening that you like and your ears will be the final judge of what is right. :rocker:
I totally agree,
my buddy who asks me to dial in his stuff is more technicallly educated and competant but trusts my ears
to make minor value changes for the final result.

I know HE can do it ... but I've spent years looking at this type of gear and asking what if this part were out by 20% & answering with a soldering iron & listening test

bottom line is its all out there & as Keith Richards says about good sound

"It's not about your options man, it's about making a decision "
p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 pm

hello , as we talked previously about the joe bonamassa dunlop fuzz, here it is, some cool infos about this one i'm gonna build and tweak. bought 50 of each of these russian germanium transistors. but stock, it already has some very interesting characteristics that i didn't hear in some other fuzz clips.

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but i never saw this type of resistors before. anyway, i'll put pihers inside. but 1/4w ? 0,5w ? i'll see if it makes any difference.