Fender Strat Japan 68' Reissue

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Fender Strat Japan 68' Reissue

Post by theactor19 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 am

Ain't anyone gonna congratulate me on this purchase^^^^ :P

Or at least offer some for what is necessary for flipping a lefty strat to righty?
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:28 am

theactor19 wrote:Ain't anyone gonna congratulate me on this purchase^^^^ :P

Or at least offer some for what is necessary for flipping a lefty strat to righty?
I would love to see some pics when you get it so we can compare to a vintage model and see how it stacks up...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

+1

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:23 pm

garbeaj wrote: I would love to see some pics when you get it so we can compare to a vintage model and see how it stacks up...
Good idea, I will do that. Though I may need someone to PM on how to post pics.

One thing that I noticed from the pics of the guitar is that it doesn't have the correct headstock decal. Hopefully thats one of the only differences between the reissue and a real 68' strat.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm

theactor19 wrote:
garbeaj wrote: I would love to see some pics when you get it so we can compare to a vintage model and see how it stacks up...
Good idea, I will do that. Though I may need someone to PM on how to post pics.

One thing that I noticed from the pics of the guitar is that it doesn't have the correct headstock decal. Hopefully thats one of the only differences between the reissue and a real 68' strat.
One thing that I have seen is that for some reason the Japanese '68 reissues have two string trees (one on the D and G strings and one on the B and E), where the real ones only have one on the B and E strings...

Also they use a modern tremolo arm. The bars on the 60s and most of the 70s strats were almost totally straight and the modern ones have a sharp angle. To see what I mean, look at John Sievert photos of Eddie Van Halen with the black and white version of the Frankenstein guitar to see the correct, "straighter" tremolo arm...

Some of the reissues I have seen also have Klusons...the real '68 strats used "F" stamped tuners. Luckily there are some great reissues of the "F" tuners available for next to nothing from Fender...I have seen some of the Fender Japan reissues with the correct "F" tuners, but I would still replace them with the modern "F" tuners-better gear ratio and all that jazz...

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 pm

theactor19 wrote:Ain't anyone gonna congratulate me on this purchase^^^^ :P

You need to get a good luthier to cut you a right handed nut and set it up for you that shouldn't cost over $100 :jimi:

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey Guys,

So I got my 68 strat and it is amazing!!!!! the store had flipped the nut for me and set it up for a righty. It definitely has the hendrix vibe and I can honestly say its the best strat I have ever played! Also having the reverse headstock is awesome because it makes the bass strings easier to bend, getting some really wild tones, especially with the wah. I now see why jimi flipped his guitars.. such a different vibe. One thing for sure is that the guitar is crafted in Japan.. and 'made'.. and the headstock decal is incorrect.. it just says fender.

I wanna post some pics.. someone teach me how

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 pm

just go to imageshack...that's what I use. Once you upload your pics, there will be a Forum code for each image. Copy/paste that in a reply to a thread here and it will be here for all of us to see. And it is free. There are many others, I just happen to use Imageshack...

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 pm

cool, i'll do that tonight or tomorrow.

So I am noticing some issues with the strat. The low e and the high e slip off the fret board really easily. Either the neck is really rolled, or since the nut is just flipped that could be an issue as well.. the low E doesn't even fit in the nut slot! Also there is a bit of fretting out on the high at near the 12th-15th fret. What do you guys think I should do? just get a new nut cut?

Also I need to put the strat button on the other horn.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 am

theactor19 wrote:cool, i'll do that tonight or tomorrow.

So I am noticing some issues with the strat. The low e and the high e slip off the fret board really easily. Either the neck is really rolled, or since the nut is just flipped that could be an issue as well.. the low E doesn't even fit in the nut slot! Also there is a bit of fretting out on the high at near the 12th-15th fret. What do you guys think I should do? just get a new nut cut?

Also I need to put the strat button on the other horn.
Yes the nut could be your issue, as the slots should be angled back toward the headstock. Yes get a new nut and keep the lefty one in case you want to sell the axe that is how mine was done and it plays awesome :jimi: