Reverse Headstock vs. Regular

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Re: Reverse Headstock vs. Regular

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun May 15, 2011 8:39 pm

EXACTLY !

I will say though, that if a person is wanting to go beyond a 'logical' point (I think Hendrix would have been MUCH better on a Lefty strat) , in other words, "I want to drive a car with 3 tires instead of 4",, then by all means try it the way Hendrix 'EXPERIENCED' it (pun intended).

There is something to the tone (very debatable) in flipping the headstock AS WELL as the bridge pu, that is different, though (regardless of Hendrix) not necissarilly 'better'.

Experience is the best Teacher. To try all these 'variables' is to be 'Experienced'.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by theactor19 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm still really on the fence guys and I wanna order like today or tomorrow.

1) Tone Slinger - what gauge strings do you use.. maybe that might have altered your experience. I play with 9s.. so pretty light.. does the gauge matter in terms of the lefty neck?

2) I'm really thinking about just getting the regular headstock as this is currently my only strat.

3) How important is finish. I believe the tokai strat is typical poly finish. So is it vital to get the nitro gloss finish on the neck. Or is the shellac good? what do you guys think?
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 am

I use Fender xl 150 'bullets' ( 9 to 40) I like these because the g is a 15 instead of the normal 9 set, which has a 16 for the g. I like the 40 low e as well.

I would get a black tusq nut with it (Musikraft has these). It is black, but so are your fret dots. It is infused with teflon. The tone is sort of in between bone and plastic (I think CBS era strats had plastic nuts). The CBS era necks had a poly finish (looks just like nitro) on the necks. They (CBS) were having problems with the 'Fender' decals 'smearing' when the poly hit them. They used nitro ONLY for the face of the headstock for this reason, as the nitro didnt 'react' with the decals. I'm sure the decals are different material now.

That is why you see that on the old ORIGINAL (no refrets) CBS era strats (all the way to '82) that the fretboard hasnt really darkened, but the headstock face has.

I'd get a clear gloss nitro finnished neck. Go with your gut on the orientation of the headstock. You can figure out how to stabalize the tuning, like I have divulged to you.

One more thing to consider. ALOT of players (Lefty's, like Hendrix) felt that 'lefty' made guitars may not be quite as well made, due to the simple fact that more Righty's were/are made.

If you order a Lefty, Talk to Scott (Musikraft) and get his assurance that this neck is gonna RIGHT (I mean left 8) ).

Leave additional notes on your order form about your concerns.

Does your Tokai bridge have 'Top Prospect' on the saddles ?

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I use Fender xl 150 'bullets' ( 9 to 40) I like these because the g is a 15 instead of the normal 9 set, which has a 16 for the g. I like the 40 low e as well.

I would get a black tusq nut with it (Musikraft has these). It is black, but so are your fret dots. It is infused with teflon. The tone is sort of in between bone and plastic (I think CBS era strats had plastic nuts). The CBS era necks had a poly finish (looks just like nitro) on the necks. They (CBS) were having problems with the 'Fender' decals 'smearing' when the poly hit them. They used nitro ONLY for the face of the headstock for this reason, as the nitro didnt 'react' with the decals. I'm sure the decals are different material now.

That is why you see that on the old ORIGINAL (no refrets) CBS era strats (all the way to '82) that the fretboard hasnt really darkened, but the headstock face has.

I'd get a clear gloss nitro finnished neck. Go with your gut on the orientation of the headstock. You can figure out how to stabalize the tuning, like I have divulged to you.

One more thing to consider. ALOT of players (Lefty's, like Hendrix) felt that 'lefty' made guitars may not be quite as well made, due to the simple fact that more Righty's were/are made.

If you order a Lefty, Talk to Scott (Musikraft) and get his assurance that this neck is gonna RIGHT (I mean left 8) ).

Leave additional notes on your order form about your concerns.

Does your Tokai bridge have 'Top Prospect' on the saddles ?
Why would you get the black tusq nut when they have a white one. Wouldn't the white one be more period correct?

I'm still leaning towards the reverse headstock. Other people on the forum dont seem to be having issues with theirs. Does it need left handed tuners? I was thinking F style tuners, but it this is only for period correctness and has no affect on tone/playability, maybe I should just go with schaller since musikraft sells and installs them. thoughts?

I dont know what Top Prosect is on the saddles.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 pm

The white Tusq nut isnt nearly as good. It isnt teflon infused (you just cant change colors sometimes, when material is concerned) . I meant,, is thier anything 'stamped on the six tremelo saddles ? On the early to mid '80's Tokai strats 'Top Prospect' was stamped' on the saddles.

Good luck to you dude. You seem to have a 'curious' nature , concerning detail. You obviously are very new (young) to all this 'guitar stuff' huh ?

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:27 pm

They say 'final prospect' i believe.

Regarding the nut.. suppose the teflon one is better, but is it what was used on a 68' strat, which may account for some part of the tone, no?

And yea sort of.. I'm 26.. playing for 7 years about... been really into gear for the past 3-4 years. still learning about doing my own guitar work.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun May 22, 2011 7:16 pm

i didn't know that the 68 strat had a teflon nut ...
i like to shape my own bone nuts.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon May 23, 2011 10:36 am

The sound of the nut DOES make a difference. I like bone alot. Hard plastic, which is what I believe Fender was using in '60's up to now,, is a tad warmer. The black tusq sounds VERY close to the bone. I'd put it 'between' the plastic and bone in its tone.

IMO, the black tusq teflon infused nut is the BEST EVER ! It actually sounds and performs GREAT, wheras some will do only one or the other imo.

Certain problems with 100 % accurate designs of the past (like 100 % stock Fenders from the start '54 all the way to the present) will arise. There are certain 'key' things that need to be addressed that make ALOT of performance difference, but virtually no TONE/sound differences.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 am

the nut only makes a difference with open strings :jimi:

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I was looking at all of jimi's strat and tribute strat, and they all have white nuts. I feel like the black tusq would look out of place.

So its between the white tusq, and the bone nut. Which way should I go for my hendrix strat.. in regards to keeping the hendrix tone and vibe?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue May 24, 2011 5:32 pm

looool ; ) sorry but just get a bone nut and that's all ! Jimi's tone and vibe is A LOT related to your fingers and the way you play !!! and WHERE you play on the neck.
i play some hendrix stuffs through different strats, only with my fingers, not like jimi, but still, there's what you'd be looking for. jeff beck strats with metal wilkinson nuts, or bone nuts, or anything, and it's there !
you're really splitting a hair for nothing ! : D
then, the amp. a jtm 100 or a superlead, and really, man ,you're good !!! the specs for your neck should make a great neck.

jimi hendrix had, i don't know, more than 50 guitars, but he always sounded Jimi hendrix. guys in this period took any guitar they could have, and any strings coming with it, and they did the Rock.

don't make a confusion there between some kind of compulsive thing we all can have at some point, and the reality, the strats you've experienced ...

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 am

ALL of the tone IN any thing you play is connected to the nut. There is CONTACT ! Otherwise you couldnt do those behind the nut bends while you are fretting at the 5th fret. It subtle, but there.

I would get the white Tusq (since you dont want the teflon infused black nut) , since it is probably closer to the regular plastic nuts that Fender used back then.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed May 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes indeed, that's related,and that's why i like to make them myself, but at this point, knowing that hendrix had several different kind of nuts, it's not gonna radicaly change a good strat into jimi hendrix playing this strat, that's what i meant. And from bone to teflon or anything good, hendrix would have this vibe anyway. and Theactor isn't gonna get a shity nut anyway

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Alright guys,

Plan is to order today. Last thing that I need to figure out.

Should I get them to drill holes for F Tuners, and then purchase F Tuners separately? And do they need to be a certain kind.. like left handed or right handed tuners?

Or should I just get schallers since they can just go ahead and install them for me?

Do the tuners have any affect on the playability, subtle nuances, tone, etc. in regards to hendrix?

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

theactor19 wrote:Alright guys,

Plan is to order today. Last thing that I need to figure out.

Should I get them to drill holes for F Tuners, and then purchase F Tuners separately? And do they need to be a certain kind.. like left handed or right handed tuners?

Or should I just get schallers since they can just go ahead and install them for me?

Do the tuners have any affect on the playability, subtle nuances, tone, etc. in regards to hendrix?
If you want to be totally obsessively accurate, you need the "F" tuners.

You didn't mention these, but I love the Kluson tuners. They have a totally vintage vibe to me, and I like the way the look far more than the "F" style.

I don't believe tuners make any difference whatsoever in tone, and I'm pretty sure there are no "left handed" or "right handed" tuners, but don't quote me on that.

As for the nut, the effects the nut has on the guitar are: holding the stings in place, tuning, tone of open notes.

I recomend the bone for tunings sake. The bone is hard and is less like to "catch" the string when using the trem bar, and thus more likely to stay in tune.