How Many Curly Cables at Woodstock Do You Spy?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: How Many Curly Cables at Woodstock Do You Spy?

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm

using batteries in your pedals vs a power supply will make a difference especially non alkaline.

Purplexi

Post by Purplexi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 pm

swankmotee wrote:
Purplexi wrote:You only need the one coily from guitar to wah and eventually a Lava Coil to replace the cheaply made Fender Koil. It's unlikely those combinations of lead lines on the Woodstock stage is a decided upon formula. More likely, what was available by showtime. Also, I believe from the Rainbow Bridge photo's that the Vibe unit is only set after his other pedals due to it's size. The actual cable route appears to be:wah, vibe, fuzz, and later, Mayer's Octavio with the rarely seen LPB-1 prototype.
LPB-1 prototype?!?!! What proof do you have of this?! :roll:
Absolutely none. I was relating incorrect information, practically drilled into my head by this older, weird guitar teacher of mine. He'd claimed Jimi used everything at Woodstock from a Muff Fuzz to a Phase Shifter. Oddly enough, the guy could really play, but was pretty much full of it. I wanted to add something to the discussion, sound informed. I realize the set-up now; Wah/Fuzz before Vibe (no OD)=Jimi. Sorry for any confusion.

billshatner

Post by billshatner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:49 am

swankmotee wrote:
Purplexi wrote:You only need the one coily from guitar to wah and eventually a Lava Coil to replace the cheaply made Fender Koil. It's unlikely those combinations of lead lines on the Woodstock stage is a decided upon formula. More likely, what was available by showtime. Also, I believe from the Rainbow Bridge photo's that the Vibe unit is only set after his other pedals due to it's size. The actual cable route appears to be:wah, vibe, fuzz, and later, Mayer's Octavio with the rarely seen LPB-1 prototype.
Not an LPB-1 but looks similar. Photos show it used on BOG/ MSG 1/28/70, 4/25/70 and 4/26/70
Looks like a unit that allows him to jump the heads

Attachments
scanjpg90350.jpg
scanjpg90350.jpg (516.62 KiB) Viewed 3422 times

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 am

billshatner wrote:
swankmotee wrote:
Not an LPB-1 but looks similar. Photos show it used on BOG/ MSG 1/28/70, 4/25/70 and 4/26/70
Looks like a unit that allows him to jump the heads

It is a box that allows the jumper cable from channel one to be unattenuated unlike what happens when you jumper from the lower channel one input. Just Y's both connections into channel one's hotter jack.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 am

Are you saying it just does the same as running into the top left then out of the lower left to the other amp. If that is the case why would you build something for that when you can just use a second cable and jump normally out of bottom left jack. I have never seen theise before. Just wonderinf if they are some kind oy Y device. He used a Y cord at Woodstock. Where were theies pictures taken.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Tone seaker wrote:Are you saying it just does the same as running into the top left then out of the lower left to the other amp. If that is the case why would you build something for that when you can just use a second cable and jump normally out of bottom left jack. I have never seen theise before. Just wonderinf if they are some kind oy Y device. He used a Y cord at Woodstock. Where were theies pictures taken.
It took the place of the Y cable because I'm sure like a lot of us have found out that they are bulky and tend to fail. The reason for doing a Y or dual input box into channel one is due to the lower input on all stock Marshalls being attenuated or lower in gain due to having a couple of resistors across it. Linking two heads together from the lower jack isn't the same because the signal going to the 2nd amp will be lower in gain thus it won't be driven at the same level as the first amp.Does that answer your question adequately?

billshatner

Post by billshatner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 pm

These little boxes are only seen in the 3 shows I listed, which were the 1st 3 shows of 1970. 1/28/70, 4/25/70, 4/26/70.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:52 pm

billshatner wrote:These little boxes are only seen in the 3 shows I listed, which were the 1st 3 shows of 1970. 1/28/70, 4/25/70, 4/26/70.
So......?!

billshatner

Post by billshatner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:15 pm

swankmotee wrote:
billshatner wrote:These little boxes are only seen in the 3 shows I listed, which were the 1st 3 shows of 1970. 1/28/70, 4/25/70, 4/26/70.
So......?!

So, it wasn't something they used all the time. Also saw pics of Noel jumpering his Sunn amps with the same boxes

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 am

I have been waiting over 3 months for a Vox coil cord from Sweetwater. I have not tried the Fender version but feel the Vox will meet my purpose... once I get it :lol:
It's white as well.
Back in the day (sixties) I used a coil cord in the same configuration as Hendrix, ie; from the guitar to the first effect and it was great with my 1965 Strat!
Still waiting on the Vox, will post my results soon I hope!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Finally got tired of Sweerwaters back order and looked on Amazon and had a Vox white coiled cable in 3 days!! Same price too.
This cord is much thicker than the coil cords I remember from back in the day.
Especially with a vintage style Strat the coil cord is important as the first lead from the guitar. I think it cuts some treble off by being coiled.
The Vox is definitely superior to the Fender as I have heard bad reports on the Fender cord.
I can't recommend it more highly.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 am

I had gotten a Bullet Cable coily cord. It was super thick and super heavy duty, but that proves to be a bit of a problem. It is so heavy and thick that it makes my guitars unbalanced. Also, if you don't have the cable looped through your strap and strap button the cord pulls out of the input jack of the guitar pretty easily. I was hoping the Vox would be more like the old coily cables, which were cheap, light and somewhat prone to breakage, but also a lot more functional. I might try the Fender coily cable...maybe it will be more like the old ones?

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:02 am

garbeaj wrote:I had gotten a Bullet Cable coily cord. It was super thick and super heavy duty, but that proves to be a bit of a problem. It is so heavy and thick that it makes my guitars unbalanced. Also, if you don't have the cable looped through your strap and strap button the cord pulls out of the input jack of the guitar pretty easily. I was hoping the Vox would be more like the old coily cables, which were cheap, light and somewhat prone to breakage, but also a lot more functional. I might try the Fender coily cable...maybe it will be more like the old ones?
I cannot more highly recommend the Vox cord it is a quality piece.
yngwie308