Strat Mod that I tried.

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

harkkam08
Just the numbers in order: 7

Strat Mod that I tried.

Post by harkkam08 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey guys I found this mod I made to my strat and I have to say its one of the best mods I have tried.

My quest started with trying to find 60's NOS coiled cables, I was reading up on them and since they were built poorly they had large amounts of capacitance.

Then eventually I found this website

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... r_Mod.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically it is a mod that mimics a vintage coiled cable. Its very easy and took me about 30 minutes. I used 2.2nf or a 20 foot cable according to the table.

At higher volumes this mod sounds amazing it takes those highs away and gives it a softer edge that Jimi is known for. Even with the fuzz there are no shrill sounds and it sings more.

I will make some clips with it turned on and off in a day or two. But so far I am happy with it

Xplorer

Re: Strat Mod that I tried.

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 pm

indeed, it sounds like a cool mod, i might try it. thanks !

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 pm

this might be a good switch/pot for that purpose :

http://www.warmoth.com/Push-Push-Pot-25 ... -P731.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 am

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Tone seaker, do you own that cable? Does it replicate the old coil cables very well?

Are there any other coil cables in the production that replicate the old ones?

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Brandon wrote:Tone seaker, do you own that cable? Does it replicate the old coil cables very well?

Are there any other coil cables in the production that replicate the old ones?
I don't own it there are two others but they are high quality and don't replicate the tone. The high quality ones are fender blac and vox. The white fender one is the only one I know of that claims to be like the old ones

GBlekas

Post by GBlekas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Excuse me for thinking this but back in the day they would crank up 100 watt Marshall amps so the amount of high end loss from the curly cable would be less noticable than at the volumes most play at today.

The curly cable would be ok with a Fender Reissue since they are way to bright to begin with but if one plays through a vintage amp or a modern equivalent then what do you suppose a curly cord would do for you?

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:44 pm

GBlekas wrote:Excuse me for thinking this but back in the day they would crank up 100 watt Marshall amps so the amount of high end loss from the curly cable would be less noticable than at the volumes most play at today.

The curly cable would be ok with a Fender Reissue since they are way to bright to begin with but if one plays through a vintage amp or a modern equivalent then what do you suppose a curly cord would do for you?
They cranked them because PA's did not have enough power for the venues and some people like Hendrix also knew they sounded a lot better when the out put tubes are running hard which also gave way more versatility in your guitars volume knob

harkkam08

Post by harkkam08 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Hey guys I did some clips with the strat vintage mod engaged and off and a demo of a new amp I built.

Check it out and let me know. Just warning you I suck balls. Just want to get your opinion of my tone. The clips are at the bottom of the page. In one of the posts

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 89#p338689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;