Step 11 - Board Mounts, Controls and Inputs

Detailed assembly steps separated into threads.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Billy Batz

Step 11 - Board Mounts, Controls and Inputs

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:14 pm

The board mounts are about the same as the instructions except that they are located in slightly different spots and there are 2 more for the power board.

The pots can be done exactly like the instructions. There is an alternate way to do them which is almost a necessity if you chose to use PEC pots which are very hard to solder to the bodies of (you also run the risk of damaging the pot in an attempt to heat it enough to solder to it). You bend down/forward all the terminals of the pots which are NOT grounded. Then you bend the grounded terminals sideways so you can run a busswire through them as in the pictures below. Its a very neat way to do the buss aesthetically and electronically.

I use 16 gauge buss wire for this which comes on a roll and to straiten it I take 2 linemans pliers and pull the length of wire at both ends twitsing as I pull. This straitens it out nicely. I turn my soldering iron up to 900 degrees to solder it though. The 16gauge wire is tough to solder and I dont want to put heat on the pot terminals very long so I heat the buss *near* the terminal for about 2-3 seconds then flow the solder onto the connection. If the buss is heated enough the solder will flow right onto it otherwise it will just go on the terminal.

The jacks can be done exatly as int he instructions.
Attachments
04-28-08_1559.jpg
04-28-08_1559.jpg (81.29 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
04-28-08_1601.jpg
04-28-08_1601.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 1469 times