Stevie Ray Vaughn

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

St August

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Post by St August » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:22 pm

When I herd that he lost his life in a Helo crash .. I left work for the rest of the day.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EI9TS4O5Ww4

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Fucked me up, too. I was useless the rest of the day.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

toner

Post by toner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:36 pm

correct spelling: Stevie Ray Vaughan

I saw him play about two months before he died. He was amazing. The best part of the concert was a little unusual: The bass player's amp started making loud buzzing noises and the roadies were trying to fix it. Stevie just sat down at the front of the stage and started playing clean jazz chord melodies and blues licks. He was just ad-libbing and enjoying himself. It was almost like watching him practice. Very cool.

toner

Post by toner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:02 pm

While at a recording engineering school in 1991, we had a guest speaker who was one of the engineers who worked on the "In Step" album.

I can't remember his name but he had worked with several big name groups. He said that Stevie's amps were the loudest he had ever heard, live or in a studio. He said you couldn't even stand in the same room without covering your ears.

Another cool thing he mentioned was that some of the best solos on that album were recorded when Stevie was just practicing along with the tracks. He didn't think he was being recorded. I learned to always record while in the studio. You never know when something great will happen.

St August

Post by St August » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:07 pm

toner wrote:learned to always record while in the studio. You never know when something great will happen.
You got that Right :wink:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm

toner wrote: He said that Stevie's amps were the loudest he had ever heard, live or in a studio. He said you couldn't even stand in the same room without covering your ears.
I saw this tour at MSG. When SRV and JB played Going Down it WAS the loudest f'n thing I ever heard. :shock: 8)
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:41 pm

I saw SRV and JB at Cobo I think and then the next weekend drove to Cleveland to see them again. :shock:

gutpile
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by gutpile » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:44 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zAG-kX_IlUw& ... ed&search=

This covers two birds with one stone... btw, vaughan has an "a" between the "h" and the "n" :)
Last edited by gutpile on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chad

Post by chad » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:17 pm

In my opinion SRV is right up their with Jimi at the TOP!! I have been a huge fan of his since I was 10 yrs old.And that was 4 years before I knew a chord on a guitar.One of the very best at feelin' and playing what he felt. I could not express how much admiration I have for he and Jimi,and how much influence they have had on my playing and love of that kind of music they have given to all to have and enjoy. With much respect to both SRV & Jimi RIP, and may your music continue to inspier many many more. Chad

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:54 am

chad wrote:In my opinion SRV is right up their with Jimi at the TOP!! I have been a huge fan of his since I was 10 yrs old.And that was 4 years before I knew a chord on a guitar.One of the very best at feelin' and playing what he felt. I could not express how much admiration I have for he and Jimi,and how much influence they have had on my playing and love of that kind of music they have given to all to have and enjoy. With much respect to both SRV & Jimi RIP, and may your music continue to inspier many many more. Chad
I DO understand your sentiment. SRV was a great player, no doubt, and deserves his rightful props. But right up there with Jimi? Not on his best day. Try to compare ANYTHING SRV has done with Machine Gun, or most anything Jimi did with BOG. My older brother took me to see Hendrix at the Fillmore when I was a kid (its why I use that handle for my posts). Ive also seen SRV play more than once. The ONLY comparison to be made is that they both played Strats. Other than that, there is absolutely NO comparison. Jimi would have cleaned SRV's clock without even trying. Im not trying to dis SRV in his own thread here, cause I DO love the guy, and have every CD he's ever issued. I also understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Im not trying to steer you off of yours, Chad. I respect your position, and how you hold these guys in high regard. My fur just gets in a bit of a knot when I hear someone say "this guy plays just like Jimi". Thats what people said when Robin Trower came around. "Yeah, I heard he taught Hendrix how to play". Ok, well, we COULD go there, but its all urban legend. Jimi was a LOT better than any of these guys. EVERYBODY at that time, from casual listeners, to professionals like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Pete Townsend knew it. Guys like SRV and Trower, as good as they might be, were just doing what we're ALL doing. Copying. Carlos Santana himself said it best: "To this day, I havent heard anybody complete or really pick up on what Jimi left behind". That statement carries a lot of weight.

chad

Post by chad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:38 pm

I think I know where your comin from Fillmore but I myself IMHO think SRV is a close second to my #1 choice Jimi, but I myself grew up with Stevie in the late 80's through, well more than likely the rest of my life :lol: While I will alway's love both their music (Along with Beck,Clapton,Page) I will always put SRV right up there with the BEST,Again my opinion.Most all you guys have a very broad taste of badass guitar music and I have found alot of killer stuff from all here and am greatfull to have found this place.... By the way I think Stevie is ONEof the best EVER!!! :wink: :lol: Chad

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:04 pm

chad wrote:I think I know where your comin from Fillmore but I myself IMHO think SRV is a close second to my #1 choice Jimi, but I myself grew up with Stevie in the late 80's through, well more than likely the rest of my life :lol: While I will alway's love both their music (Along with Beck,Clapton,Page) I will always put SRV right up there with the BEST,Again my opinion.Most all you guys have a very broad taste of badass guitar music and I have found alot of killer stuff from all here and am greatfull to have found this place.... By the way I think Stevie is ONEof the best EVER!!! :wink: :lol: Chad
+1, Chad. To give full confession, I had just come home with my wife from a kick-ass party when I wrote my last post, and I was sorta "influenced", if you know what I mean!! :oops: Like I said, I LOVE SRV, and I totally respect ANY musicians position on who he or she likes, cause all the variety is how we are able to incorporate so many different influences into our playing these days. To me, Jimi just stands on his own, head and shoulders above his peers. SRV definitly took the torch and ran with it, and he was VERY impressive in concert. I am totally aware that there are a LOT of players these days that are technically superior, but Hendrix?? Man, for me, he was, and is just the SHIT, plain and simple. Followed closely for sure, but again, IMO, always followed. BTW, do you know the story of Hendrix and The Who doing a show together? Jimi and members of the Who were arguing about who was gonna go on stage first. The Who contended that they dont go on before ANYBODY. Jimi said the same thing back to them, that he wont go on before The Who. (this was witnessed by Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Janis Joplin, etc). After going back and forth a few times, Jimi stood up on a chair with his guitar and started riffing, blowing all these peoples heads clean off. He stopped suddenly, and turned to The Who and said "If Im going out first, Im pulling out ALL the stops", which he did. The story ends with the members of The Who not wanting to go on stage after being "bitch smacked" by Hendrix's performance. THAT was Jimi Hendrix. 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by fillmore nyc on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chad

Post by chad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:21 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
chad wrote:I think I know where your comin from Fillmore but I myself IMHO think SRV is a close second to my #1 choice Jimi, but I myself grew up with Stevie in the late 80's through, well more than likely the rest of my life :lol: While I will alway's love both their music (Along with Beck,Clapton,Page) I will always put SRV right up there with the BEST,Again my opinion.Most all you guys have a very broad taste of badass guitar music and I have found alot of killer stuff from all here and am greatfull to have found this place.... By the way I think Stevie is ONEof the best EVER!!! :wink: :lol: Chad
+1, Chad. To give full confession, I had just come home with my wife from a kick-ass party when I wrote my last post, and I was sorta "influenced", if you know what I mean!! :oops: Like I said, I LOVE SRV, and I totally respect ANY musicians position on who he or she likes, cause all the variety is how we are able to incorporate so many different influences into our playing these days. To me, Jimi just stands on his own, head and shoulders above his peers. SRV definitly took the torch and ran with it, and he was VERY impressive in concert. I am totally aware that there are a LOT of players these days that are technically superior, but Hendrix?? Man, for me, he was, and is just the SHIT, plain and simple. Followed closely for sure, but again, IMO, always followed. BTW, do you know the story of Hendrix and The Who doing a show together? Jimi and members of the Who were arguing about who was gonna go on stage first. The Who contended that they dont go on before ANYBODY. Jimi said the same thing back to them, the he wont go on before The Who. (this was witnessed by Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Janis Joplin, etc). After going back and forth a few times, Jimi stood up on a chair with his guitar and started riffing, blowing all these peoples heads clean off. He stopped suddenly, and turned to The Who and said "If Im going out first, Im pulling out ALL the stops", which he did. The story ends with the members of The Who not wanting to go on stage after being "bitch smacked" by Hendrix's performance. THAT was Jimi Hendrix. 8) 8) 8)
Ha HA !! I have heard that story (Wasn't it won by a coin toss or something) but yeah I must concide and admit, NO I Know that Jimi is my favarite player,But I do so love the feelin that Stevie(And def. Jimi) Had, and always focus on their playin every time I listen to both as they give me what I rarely hear anymore in alot of music today :cry: .. BTW I myself am "influenced" so to say right now :lol: to bad I wasn't at a party now :lol: Damn,it's after 11 and 5 am comes alfull early now day's.. Have fun all :twisted: Chad

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Sorry but you got that story all messed up. It was 1967 Monterey and the argument was that they didn't want to go on last. Jimi was new and had not had a show as the Experience in the US and didn't want to follow the Who. Anyway checkout the DVD, Townsend himself relates the story in the extras at the end. :wink:

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:54 pm

908ssp wrote:Sorry but you got that story all messed up. It was 1967 Monterey and the argument was that they didn't want to go on last. Jimi was new and had not had a show as the Experience in the US and didn't want to follow the Who. Anyway checkout the DVD, Townsend himself relates the story in the extras at the end. :wink:
Well Ill take your word for it before I get around to checking the DVD, 908, but if thats the way it went down, why would Jimi do what he did in the dressing room (threaten to "pull out all the stops") if he was going on second? You would think the ego's involved would not have wanted either of them to be a "warm-up" band for the other. My recollection was that the arguement was that neither one wanted to go on FIRST, but like I said, Ill give you the nod till I check the DVD. :? :? 8) 8)