Finally, "The Schaffer Replica" ready for sale!

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

SoloDallas
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Finally, "The Schaffer Replica" ready for sale!

Post by SoloDallas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Updating all of this with:

The Schaffer Replica Pedal, Rock 'n' Roll Relics "Angus" Model SG playing together on a 1970s now stock Marshall 2203 on original 1979 G12-65 attenuated by Aracom.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTQHEpvXME[/youtube]

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Sounds amazing! I also saw your play along with Elliot Randall's "Reelin' In The Years" solo on YouTube...very nice!

axeman

Post by axeman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Nice tone, a little bright, but what's with the face.

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:34 am

axeman wrote:Nice tone, a little bright, but what's with the face.
Thanks Garbeaj!
Axeman, I play with the guts. Only way I was ever able to play, at least the way I want it.
That face is a side effect. Sorry for it to bother you! I know it does to some, but it not intended to harm anyone.

It's just my ugly, probably semi-autistic (Ken Schaffer calls me an "Isolated Obsessive", IO) face.

Best!

SD :peace: :lol: :wink:

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:07 am

I'm sorry I like the playing, may be it will go well on stage, longest the other guys in the band don't do the same thing. Then in it would look like loony toones. :lol:
Last edited by axeman on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 am

axeman wrote:I'm sorry I like the playing, may be it will go well on stage, longest the other guys in the band don't do the same thing. Then in it would look like loony tunes. :lol:
No worries, I simply look effin ugly (I know! - but can't change it :( )

Thanks,

Fil :)

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:15 am

There ain't nothin' wrong with cornbread and there ain't nothin' wrong with guitar face. I've got it too and wouldn't have it any other way!

HTH

Post by HTH » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 pm

'cum face' as we call it round here :thumbsup:
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Hahahahahaha

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:52 pm

HTH wrote:'cum face' as we call it round here :thumbsup:
NOW we're talking! :shock: :lol:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 am

Great tone man!

I could set you up with some Botox injections but it would ruin the sound I think. :thumbsup:
12000 Metro Kit

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:48 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:Great tone man!

I could set you up with some Botox injections but it would ruin the sound I think. :thumbsup:
Was thinking the same.
I know - for me - that the sound ain't in the gear, nor in the hands.

The sound is in the face.

However, the TSR will still help you some! :champ:

:peace: :D 8)

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Kind of "make ends meet": Mr. Ken Schaffer writes his first post at solodallas.com!

http://www.solodallas.com/ken-schaffers ... allas-com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken Schaffer’s First Post: Hello, SoloDallas.com!
Gentlemen of the Quest,

This may be redundant – or ironic – but allow me to introduce myself. Hi, I’m Ken Schaffer. This is my first post to SoloDallas. I designed and built the SVDS in 1976, had a ball introducing just about every band to it… and disappeared from rock to develop other kinds of technologies. Stepping away from SVDS in about 1981 I was off into pursuits such as satellite earth stations, Soviet-American breakthroughs and more unconnected tasks.

So maybe you can imagine my surprise when after 30 years I got some timid letter from Fil.

Though this is my first post, that isn’t to say I’ve not been lurking with admiration – since that day 2 years ago when Fil first wrote me in search of an SVDS to test the hypothesis that “anomalies” produced by the SVDS were an important component of Angus Young’s tone.

Each of us who have followed, know without doubt that Fil, Franz and several others have been committed to their dream – figuring out the secret of Angus’s sound (particularly on “Back in Black.”) Fil’s first letter to me, 35 years later, was a total and not unpleasant surprise. (Somehow, it seems I can’t get rid of rock n’ roll and it can’t get rid of me!)

I promised Fil my support of this insane project – in spirit, permissions and in the few ways I could advise “along the way,” all along, astonished at his commitment to get it right at any cost to reproduce a Replica – in particular, what came to be the Gold Tag limited edition. Very early on, emphasized that the “cost” of duplicating the SVDS’ packaging would easily double the cost of replicating the sound. But, no matter: Fil showed he was a purist – a perfectionist – such was his regard for every aspect of the genre of classic equipment that subsequently seems to have gotten shipped off to, and lost in, Asian factories. From those first days we agreed that the Replica be as (audio) precise and as perfect as humanly (after 35 years) be possible.

You’ve followed the meticulous notes that Fil, Franz and others have posted along the way as they sought to reach this goal. After a few challenges, false starts and frustrations, they sent me a circuit diagram – complete with oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer traces – that looked perfect-to-the-Angus-original. The moment I signed offs, they proceeded to take every necessary step to inventory the components (many of which are now obscure) and to get the circuit boards cut. (In this, my input was minimal.)

To duplicate equipment that was 35 year old (those parts didn’t come easy or cheap) all for the sake of art, and my understanding that Fil long ago committed to play like that, too – all without aspirations to become a rock star himself, just added to my respect for – faith in – the project! Fil’s sincerity and monumental dedication was evident from his first letter: I concluded that Fil was an “isolated obsessive.” Just like me. (As a side note, Fil understood and loved the odd term: I confess I stole the line from Sting, who used the term in describing me in a Rolling Stone interview a couple of decades before.)

“Isolated Obsessive”: composers, poets, inventors – people whose hearts, souls and fingers are somehow inhabited by bizarre ideas few if any other people caneven imagine (Spending years and tens of thousands of dollars to dissect the “secret” of somebody’s guitar sound (here, Angus’s in “Back in Black”)” being a stellar example – I never imagined someone could give it up to such an odd obsession. (Like me and Morse Code: when I was 11, I finished 2nd in a high speed Morse contest – I came in #2nd – unlike some gifted guitar player, I couldn’t make a dime or get laid with this ‘talent,’ – and when the old guy who beat me died, I had no one I could talk to. Yet it’s was and remains “my thing.” So, yeah, I understood how somebody could be so obsessed by X or Y or Z. J

One thing I’ve come to know is that super-creative people don’t have great ideas: great ideas have them. This crazy great idea of finding Angus’ secret had Fil. As a fellow IO, I promised to help Fil where I could. Ofg course, over the 2 years that passed since Fil’s first timid letter, I’ve also gotten to know Franz (banana). He took the help as the Replica’s project manager and saw the project through every kind of hurdle – design, complicated parts acquisition, and keeping everyone behaved and everything in focus – with an extraordinarily kind tone of voice… the voice of reason and often the respected mediator is bringing peace to decisions that otherwise might be argued forever.

I sign my name on the dotted line for what has been realized. (Fil’s (original SVDS) “Definitive Back & Black” recording is probably the one piece of music I’ve played more than any other in the year since he posted it. I play it for my friends, and I’m proud of being in-line with that sound. it’s so right – t

Aside from coming out of lurking and (finally) sending this hello to the SD community I have a confession to make to the many of you who are waiting for your Gold Tags. Forgive me please – definitely forgive Fil & Franz – but, in the interest of making the Replica hit the spot, I had to butt in and insist that a small “cosmetic” matter was settled. The guts and electronics may have been settled months before – but to keep the Replica’s design goal exact, there could be no cosmetic shortcuts. In this case the holdback was (only) a bezel encasing the front panel meter: no one made equivalent bezels anymore! (Hey, almost nobody made analog meters anymore!) It took a NASA engineer, Bob Bishop, in the States to nip the problem – which he did using resources not commonly available. After diagrams and measurements made their way between Fil in Rome, Franz in Vienna, Bob, in Washington, DC, me in New York, Bob was successful in arranging custom fabrication for the correct bezel. (Custom fab of parts like that in small (100 +/-) quantities isn’t easy or cheap!) Fil & Franz agreed to go for the unanticipated and not trivial additional cost – and, take the shots for some small but painful delay.

Some of you may be pissed that “this” was behind the slippage… if you’re not an IO, it may seem like such a stupid matter – it wasn’t stupid for me. And, I hope, not stupid for those of you who appreciate the authenticity of a true Replica.

The SD board has been one of the most pleasant, informed and congenial board I know of. I’m happy to come out of the cold and say hi to you guys. That says a lot about all of you guys, from F&F to every one of you who have contributed. You’re terrific.

I preferred to stay invisible all this time – I wanted to see what you guys could discover and implement on your own. You nailed it. I’ll be lurking from time to time – I won’t be a regular contributor to SD, but I’ll be there – simply for the pleasure of seeing this community transform a series of question marks into exclamation points. You’re a great team, guys! You know classic rock when you hear it… Clearly, Frank Zappa’s famous exclamation “most of my audience wouldn’t know good music if it came up and bit them on the ass” doesn’t apply to you.

Someone say hello to Angus for me! Is it possible he, too, lurks? ;”)

Congratulations and best wishes,

Ken Schaffer

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Hello Gents,
a small series of live takes done with friend Billy Rowe (of Rock N Roll Relics Custom Guitars http://www.rocknrollrelics.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and myself sporting his signature model done on my specs "Angus Model" and our own "The Schaffer Replica"™.

The live gig was done in Gilby Clarke's (ex Guns 'n' Roses) own home recording studio in LA. It was LOTS of fun.
The sound is as raw as it was in there. No equalisation, nothing. This exercise was performed to see how our two products would work together in a live context.

The TSR was all the time ON, rhythm and solo.

Thanks!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyxcf9KNEo[/youtube]

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:38 pm

A little thin, try bass spec's