Jeff Beck

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Jeff Beck

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Has anyone here had the problem where you type a post, and you've been logged out. Or you have to pre-type your post using TextEdit or NotePad and then paste into a blank thread reply? I've gotten into the habit of "copying" my thread replies, so if I'm logged out, I don't lose my post. The stupid sumbitch'n "Post A Reply" seems to exhibit some intelligence because when you copy what you've written it doesn't log you out BUT forget to copy what you've written and try to post and you've lost what you've written AND are log out all in one fell swoop.

Ha, I just proved it in this post............. went to post the above message and ................ logged out BUT I didn't forget to copy the above message before I posted!!!!!!!!

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:15 am

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 am

Cool :thumbsup:

Beck(as well as Moore rip) used a Jcm2000 Dsl in the 2000's and now hes using the the new Dsl. For a basically 'stock' 3 single coil strat, either of those amps give the player extended gain and eq options that really give some balls and muscle that is missing from a super lead/strat scenario. I can certainly see why Beck uses them.In actuallity, he could get by with that one lone top for his whole set.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Cool :thumbsup:

.In actuallity, he could get by with that one lone top for his whole set.
Or the two Pro Jrs he used with the Les Paul / Rockabilly trib shows! Or like the tech in the vid says a "Silvertone and a Pignose and dit would still sound like Jeff."
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:22 pm

And there you have it! Jeff's #1 strat (that he's used since 93') utilizes vintage passive single coils and not those damn "lace sensors". I like Jeff's current backup choice of Marshall 6021X head which sounds absolutely stupendous with NOS tubes. My 6021X head has NOS Telefunken ECC83's and Siemens EL84's and they DO make a difference. Several years back I purchased a Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah off of flea bay for cheap. Other than the pedal looking brand new, there were some minor issues and the wah wasn't working. I sent the pedal off for repair and it was cheap, so I had a brand new pedal essentially.

Did you guys take note of Jeff's string gauge and how similar it is to Jimi Hendrix's string gauge of choice (light bottom/heavy top), and his tech explanation of why so?

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm

+1 on the 2061, LL!!! LUV that amp. I have the 2-12 mini slant cab as well but I swapped in a pair of vintage 102 cones greenbacks. Sweetness for sure. My buddy calls it a quarter stack!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm

NY Chief wrote:+1 on the 2061, LL!!! LUV that amp. I have the 2-12 mini slant cab as well but I swapped in a pair of vintage 102 cones greenbacks. Sweetness for sure. My buddy calls it a quarter stack!
You swapped out your G12H30 Vintage Anniversary's reallly? I especially like the "syrupy sweet" midrange of these speakers (as they have been described). For the Gary Moore thang, these speakers in the 6021CX cabinet with the matching head, Les Paul, and a good OD (like a Keeley modded Blues Driver) do extreeeeemly well. Hell, I've even grown accustomed to the response of my Celestion G12T-75 speakers in my 300 watt 1960 Vintage A cab. You hear so many people that slander this speaker but, what some people don't know (other than Yngwie 308 possibly) is that Gary Moore's go to cabinet of choice was loaded with these speakers.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 pm

NY Chief wrote:"...I have the 2-12 mini slant cab as well but I swapped in a pair of vintage 102 cones greenbacks. Sweetness for sure. My buddy calls it a quarter stack!..."
w/Scummy reconed Blackbacks to 65's to handle the 1959's & 2203's :wink:
(I've been curious how they fair with the new Creambacks 65's ?)

I like Jeff's tone Live at Ronnie Scott's and I reeeally like Tal ! :mrgreen:
Those two Pro Jrs... m a n, they r e a l l y work for Jeff ! Didn't he use those for his super hot tones, right ?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 am

JimiJames wrote:
NY Chief wrote:"...I have the 2-12 mini slant cab as well but I swapped in a pair of vintage 102 cones greenbacks. Sweetness for sure. My buddy calls it a quarter stack!..."
w/Scummy reconed Blackbacks to 65's to handle the 1959's & 2203's :wink:
(I've been curious how they fair with the new Creambacks 65's ?)

I like Jeff's tone Live at Ronnie Scott's and I reeeally like Tal ! :mrgreen:
Those two Pro Jrs... m a n, they r e a l l y work for Jeff ! Didn't he use those for his super hot tones, right ?
I was told by the now "infamous" Jack McCallister of Mouradian amps that after modding my 74' 1959 SL to 68' specs that it still would/could put out around 160 watts. I think Jack used my head for the Zep clip that was on his old web page. The Dagnall PT supplied about 525 B+ volts, so a MM PT with 460 B+ volts was swapped in to save on output tubes. I still have the original PT BTW.
Thing is a 1959 with a 2 x 12" cab w/o an attenuator would sure be hell on the ears and tough on speakers. I dig Ronnie Scott's as well, as Jeff's playing had improved so much since The Fire Meets The Fury Tour in 89'. When I last saw Jeff in Tulsa at The Old Lady From Brady theatre for the Emotion & Commotion Tour, he had Rhonda Smith playing bass. I don't know where all these beautiful women who can play bass so expertly well come from, but Jeff always manages to acquire their services. I didn't see the Pro Jr's at the Ronnie Scotts gig but, for the Emotion & Commotion Tour (yes). I believe Jeff's guitar and amp tech would say that Jeff uses the Pro Jr's for the cleaner Les Paul and Mary Ford stuff that he's been doing as part of his shows.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Nice, JJ. That's a quarter stack the other way! :thumbsup:

JB used the Pro's with the Les Paul trib / Rockabilly shows. Back to DSL's for his band but he did use some vintage stuff at Ronnie Scott's.

+1 on Tal, JJ! :twisted: Met her at NAMM a few years back, very sweet (in more ways then one :drool: 8) ) and super nice.

JB does seem to be more and more enomored with talented females. He brough out Beth Hart at a show in San Diego a few tours back and id some old JB Group songs. Total Joplin like take on old Rod Stewart vox. She ROCKED!!! That gitl has some pipes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALdOkf_eCM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

For a minute there I thought the woman next to Buddy Guy was Etta James, but it's Buddy's wife.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:28 am

Lefty Lou wrote:
NY Chief wrote:+1 on the 2061, LL!!! LUV that amp. I have the 2-12 mini slant cab as well but I swapped in a pair of vintage 102 cones greenbacks. Sweetness for sure. My buddy calls it a quarter stack!
You swapped out your G12H30 Vintage Anniversary's reallly? I especially like the "syrupy sweet" midrange of these speakers (as they have been described). For the Gary Moore thang, these speakers in the 6021CX cabinet with the matching head, Les Paul, and a good OD (like a Keeley modded Blues Driver) do extreeeeemly well. Hell, I've even grown accustomed to the response of my Celestion G12T-75 speakers in my 300 watt 1960 Vintage A cab. You hear so many people that slander this speaker but, what some people don't know (other than Yngwie 308 possibly) is that Gary Moore's go to cabinet of choice was loaded with these speakers.
Lefty Lou, which era of Gary's did he use G12T-75's ? I know he used Marshall cabs loaded with EV's forever. I am not sure what speakers were in his Marshall cabs for his final 2010 tour.
I do know that Gary was a stickler for power tube distortion (never a problem at the volume he played! :lol: ) and he did not care for speaker distortion.
That's why say when he recorded and played "Still Got The Blues" he used a Marshall Guv'nor pedal through the rhythm channel of his Soldano SLO 100. Also very early shots of Gary from circa 1982-4 show him with Boss volume pedals on stage so he didn't have to rely on the sound guy at the board for his levels. One was for his guitar and the other for his monitor mix I believe.
I do not recall ever reading or hear him interviewed where he said he used the T-75's.
Thanks for the mention anyway man, appreciate it
Dave
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:29 am

It might have been on one of the recent Celestion brochures, because I remember reading that Gary Moore was using the G12T-75's too with his Handwired heads. I got rid of a dozen of those speakers (cheap) a year or two ago and reloaded with Greenbacks and Vintage 30's, but I kept enough for a 4x12 or two. I don't dislike them as much as some folks do, but I do like the other Celestions as much or better. If I had it to do over, I would have just kept them all- they really not bad-sounding speakers. I'm putting 4 of them in my Hiwatt/Sound City cab... :listen: :thumbsup:

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:30 am

yngwie308 wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:
yngwie308 wrote:Lefty Lou, which era of Gary's did he use G12T-75's ?

Lefty Lou wrote:Under: Most Essential ( http://www.marshallamps.de/scene/interv ... ymmain.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) courtesy of Graham Lilley
Q. What gear was used on the outro solo on the track Surrender off the 1999 album, "A Different Beat"? Submitted by Pete Martin

Gibson Les Paul Standard circa 1959, Marshall DSL100 Amplifier, Marshall 1960BX 4 x 12" cabinet with Celestion G12-75T speakers, Amp Settings: Clean Channel, Presence 1, Treble 8, Middle 8.5, Bass 5.3, Gain 5, Volume 8.2, crunch switch in, Deep switch in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9347_pDdk0[/youtube]
Lefty Lou wrote: Also, it's mentioned in Marshall Law #6 (1/2003) by Gary Moore that his live set-up in "Scars" was a DSL 100 with two 4 x 12 cabs. One with Century speakers and one with Vintage 30s. Gary's studio set-up is different in terms of using different speakers, pretty much the same amplifier, but one of the 4 x 12s contains four 75 watt Celestions and the other cabinet contains four Centurys. Also in Marshall Law #6 (1/2003) Gary mentions he's been using the DSL 100s for the last five years (1998 to 2003) this would mean he used the 4 x12 Century, 4 x 12 Vintage 30, and 4 x 12 G12-75T cabs for those five years if the provided dates and info are correct. Again, according to Marshall Law #4 (9/98) the 1960BX loaded with Celestion G12-75T speakers are Gary's "Most Essential" cab. Gary also mentioned that he loved the DSL 100 because it gave him great modern Marshall tones as well as great vintage Marshall tones.

yngwie308 wrote:I know he used Marshall cabs loaded with EV's forever. I am not sure what speakers were in his Marshall cabs for his final 2010 tour.
I do know that Gary was a stickler for power tube distortion (never a problem at the volume he played! :lol: ) and he did not care for speaker distortion.
Lefty Lou wrote: That would explain Gary's preference for EV 12L's, Celestion Century, Celestion G12-75Ts, and Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. I know that I sure get "the tone" with my G12-75T loaded 1960AX Marshall cabinet. I have absolutely no questions about what Gary used as far as my ears are concerned, and I've owned enough Vintage 30's to hear the difference.
yngwie308 wrote:That's why say when he recorded and played "Still Got The Blues" he used a Marshall Guv'nor pedal through the rhythm channel of his Soldano SLO 100. Also very early shots of Gary from circa 1982-4 show him with Boss volume pedals on stage so he didn't have to rely on the sound guy at the board for his levels. One was for his guitar and the other for his monitor mix I believe.
Lefty Lou wrote: Marshall Gv'nor Pedal ( Mk 1), Ibanez TS10 Tubescreamer Pedal, Gary tended to only use the "clean" channel on the SLO100 with the crunch switch in, rather than switch channels on the amp. Any further 'crunch/boost/distortion" would be added by one of the above pedals. See: http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/ind ... 518.0;wap2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yngwie308 wrote: I do not recall ever reading or hear him interviewed where he said he used the T-75's.
Lefty Lou wrote:Check again.
yngwie308 wrote:Thanks for the mention anyway man, appreciate it. Dave
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 am, edited 12 times in total.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:18 pm

You're welcome Dave!