Paul Gilbert-Terrifying Guitar

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

evhfan87

Post by evhfan87 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Paul Gilbert never totally won me over. His tone,phrasing and overall 'style' didnt do it for me. He plays WAY to many straight scales, ala 3 notes per string type stuff. Same with most of the Shrapnel guy's.

Timmon's is more 'musical',which is a hard thing to describe(musicality),cause some just have more of it (like Carl and Mark) than others. The 'OTHER's' tend to gravitate towards repetitive things to "appear" to be more musical. Dont get me wrong,I like technical ability on the guitar,but I like musical soul more.
i prefer a mix of both. i dunno if anyone else here listens to classical pieces but hans andre stamm is probably my most favourite organist. while J.S. Bach and Beethoven as favourite composers.

i also preter "The Little", a Fugue piece on organ as my favourite as well =]

i learn from technical guitarists and composers and apply my own style of blues or single note soul to playing guitar.

i do get what you mean with repetition. and repetition is a large part to musical composition i think. some over-do it, using it as a crutch whilst soloing which is pretty common. the first 4 years i played i did it, and im trying to get rid of that muscle memory and learn the correct way through playing whats in my head at the time and not what i know "sounds good" persay.
5150II Modded
5150 Slant & Straight Cabinets (Stock)
Furman M-8D Power Conditioner
TC Electronics G-Major
Rocktron MIDI footswitch
1994 Wolfgang Special Standard
2007 Modded Ibanez Jem777 Vai Signature

YHWH

Post by YHWH » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:56 am

... Andy Timmons's playing (and tone) bores me silly... just like Joe Bonamassa :roll: , Gary Hoey, "Blues" Saraceno, Richie Kotzen, et al. They're just not my "taste" in players or tone. On the other hand... MSG's Mitch Perry, Reb Beach, TNT's Ronnie LeTekro 8), Alex Masi... now you're talking. ;)

Paul Gilbert's style and tone is a matter of taste as well. ...*IMO*... I feel he and T-Mac pretty much invented the typical late 80s "shred" sound ... at least for lack of a more "grammatically correct" term... they epitomized that tone - lots of hard, trebly distortion, wide chorusing... digital delay and of course... DEEP REVERB... what would the 80s be without it? :D

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:45 pm

I likes McAlpine's solo in "Empire In The Sky". He got very emotional in that one. I liked Gilbert's solo's in "Hotter Than Fire", cause he went a little more with the actual song in his solo's in that one.

killpop99

Post by killpop99 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 am

If I ever think I want to get married, I'll find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

sadwings75

Post by sadwings75 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Got the new Paul Gilbert album yesterday - Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar. It's awesome; definitely check it out if you're in to Paul.
http://www.amazon.com/Silence-Followed- ... 895&sr=8-1