Your favorite local "UNKNOWN" players

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

St August

Post by St August » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:52 pm

T.J.Fuller wrote:
St August wrote: IMHO the best guitar players in Columbus back in the Day Were You,
Brian Sheppard, and Eric Johnson. The rest of us were just Hacks looking at the stars :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are way too kind :D

Brian dated my sister, it pissed me off too!

I'll drop one more name BUT, this guy actually is doing very well.

Neil Zaza - he maybe from Cleveland but, he had the chops, smarts and attitude to make it.
Nah I give credit where credit is due and you my friend were one of the Best in Town, Cowtown that is :P

I love Neil Zaza Ive seen him on many ocassions In C-Bus
He just never got the credit he deserved with the Likes of Vai and Satchmo
Or even David Chastain for that matter..

I went to a Party once for one of the guys in either Shock tu or some other band I cant remember anyway, Brian was there with His Girl friend,
Tall brunette and just a Knock out... And she stripped for the Birthday boy with a lap dance .. I"m hoping that wasnt your sister.. :shock:

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:11 pm

St August wrote:
T.J.Fuller wrote:
St August wrote: IMHO the best guitar players in Columbus back in the Day Were You,
Brian Sheppard, and Eric Johnson. The rest of us were just Hacks looking at the stars :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are way too kind :D

Brian dated my sister, it pissed me off too!

I'll drop one more name BUT, this guy actually is doing very well.

Neil Zaza - he maybe from Cleveland but, he had the chops, smarts and attitude to make it.
where credit is due and you my friend were one of the Best in Town, Cowtown that is :P

I love Neil Zaza Ive seen him on many ocassions In C-Bus
He just never got the credit he deserved with the Likes of Vai and Satchmo
Or even David Chastain for that matter..

I went to a Party once for one of the guys in either Shock tu or some other band I cant remember anyway, Brian was there with His Girl friend,
Tall brunette and just a Knock out... And she stripped for the Birthday boy with a lap dance .. I"m hoping that wasnt your sister.. :shock:

That was Debbie , luckly not my sister, and DEBBIE was bad !....
in a good way :twisted:

back on subject.......

NY Chief That is too cool about VAI !!!

I guess that is why I brought up Neil Zaza to Jerry...

He was just a super humble, down to earth guy and was like a Steve Vai type of talent for us in the midwest, same with Chastain.

However, he is now a huge draw in Japan but, I'm sure the majority of guitarists around here have never heard of him.
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

St August

Post by St August » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:15 pm

We are all HUGE In Japan :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think alot of people have heard of him I was just talking to a freind of mine today during a recording session and he mentioned Zaza and Chastain.. They used to play up here alot back in the Day.

AHHH YESSS Debbie, She was Definately one Baddass Chick..

I stil have dreams about that day.... ooopps did I say that!!! :lol: :lol:

Eargasm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Eargasm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 pm

St August wrote: .. I"m hoping that wasnt your sister.. :shock:
LMAO!!! I won't comment other than to say - that was fuckin' hilarious...

Chief, awesome story. If we have some time, (and the subsequent pints of ale obviously) before the show at the Iridium, I hope you let loose and tell more stories like this...I swear you got a million of 'em....

St A, and TJ - I never knew Debbie, but she sounds delicious. (Homer) Mmmmmmmm cheap "Little Debbie snack"....
Ah hem...
I do know who Neil is though! Back when I was listening to him, he was into cartoon soundtracks. He specifically cited Raymond Scott as an influence and I absolutely dug him for that. (I am a long time Raymond Scott fan!) Then I heard that Ted Nugent wanted to do something with him, and after that I lost touch. I did hear some recent stuff from him, but I'd hate to comment on it because it is SO different than what he was doing back in the day.
Last edited by Eargasm on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it.

St August

Post by St August » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:44 pm

I wish I had a youtube of Debbie... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But heres Neil instead :cry: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZc0Ln9DTKQ

Eargasm

Post by Eargasm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:16 am

But, but, but......
For a short time (apparently) Neil was totally into Raymond Scott, who was a great composer of what was, in his time, "Boogie Woogie Jazz". Raymond wrote a lot of tunes that eventually became soundtracks for cartoons that we all know and love. In fact, John K., the creator of "Ren & Stimpy" used a lot of Raymond Scott's material. Neil was impressed by the outlandish way that Ray expressed his musical ideas, and for a while at least, played some of Rays tunes with his own twist. I am still searching for a Neil CD from that era, actually...
Anyway, just to give a "heads up" to anyone that may be interested, check out the Raymond Scott website ~

http://raymondscott.com/MENsndf.html

Click on those tunes!!!! Check 'em all out, and then head to Border's for the CD (they have it in stock!)
Ray's melodic ideas, and composition skills should give inspiration to those that think "everything has been done". I think he was as close to a modern day Beethoven as we have seen so far. (Incidently, Ray's drummer, Johnny Williams begat John Williams - the man that wrote the soundtracks for JAWS, E.T., Close Encounters, and many more)

My personal favorite from Ray: "Powerhouse"
http://www.raymondscott.com/powerhs.mp3

Seriously twisted shit baby!!! :D :D :D
Fuck it.

npminard

Post by npminard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:12 am

If you remember Seduce from the Detroit area, how about Halloween? I think Rick Craig was a great guitar player.

How about the Killer Dwarfs from Toronto, ON Mike "Dwarf" had great tone and playing on their Dirty Weapons album.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=glLPSY84Dxk

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Mark Wood?

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:10 pm

deleted by NYChief

moved to Mark Wood.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Eargasm

Post by Eargasm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:24 pm

npminard wrote:If you remember Seduce from the Detroit area, how about Halloween? I think Rick Craig was a great guitar player.
Yep, you couldn't miss Halloween if you went to Detroit clubs for any length of time back in those days. Rick is a great player, and another really cool guy. He and I became friends after Halloween disbanded, but I haven't talked to him in a while. Heard he is doing well though, moved down south and now owns his own music store. God, remember his red V? That thing sounded great...I remember once he told me (with a twisted glint in his eye) that "People tell me sometimes that I have shitty tone, and I say - well, at least it's MY shitty tone!". Hehehehe! What a nut! He had a great sound, and it was definitely his own distinctive voice.
Fuck it.

cole
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by cole » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Putting in a plug for a great Canadian band from P.E.I. named Haywire, who did have some good success in Canada back in the 80's.

Marvin Birt was the guitar player. Now the impression I got from his work with the albums they released was that he was an okay player, but when I attended recording school in London, Ontario back in '87 i was handed a cassette of the same band but playing covers with some originals before they got signed.

The guy had EVH down pat. The tone he was getting from his Marshalls and Barettas would make any Eddie fan blush. Superb tone that still to this day I use as a benchmark Marshall tone.

Birt was a mother on guitar too and he always had a solo during the show where he did some great flash guitar!!

Very underrated and underappreciated player.

Cole
Les Paul Classic, Les Paul Standard Faded, Fender American Strat
Jackson Custom Shop Strat s/n 1226
JMP 2203, JCM 800 2205, Metro JTM 45
Metropoulos '68 12 Series s/n 12026
Marshall 1960 A/B 4 X 12's

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Mark Hitt from Rat Race Choir

Charlie Karp from Buddy Miles band circa 69-71

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:04 pm

carlygtr56 wrote:Mark Hitt from Rat Race Choir

carly, you've seen Rat Race??

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:13 pm

NY Chief wrote:

Back in the day, yes. Place in Island Park or thereabouts and others.
Mark was and still is amazing.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:22 pm

carlygtr56 wrote:
NY Chief wrote:

That place in Island Park would be Speaks! (Shortened from Speak Easy, changed from The Action House where Hendrix played I understand. I was too young to even know....)

Speaks was my second home for a few years. Rat Race, Zebra, Twisted Sister, Swift Kick, Samantha, Tusk (Bobby Rondenelli on drums)...

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:23 pm

NY Chief wrote:
carlygtr56 wrote:
NY Chief wrote: carly, you've seen Rat Race??
That place in Island Park would be Speaks! (Shortened from Speak Easy, changed from The Action House where Hendrix played I understand. I was too young to even know....)

Speaks was my second home for a few years. Rat Race, Zebra, Twisted Sister, Swift Kick, Samantha, Tusk (Bobby Rondenelli on drums)...

Yup, Speaks

I got Cactus show from the Action House!!