Yngwie J Malmsteen

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Yngwie was at NAMM 2008 at Roland Boss first with a performance and then at Dean Markley signing.
Here are some links to a Stomp interview:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... emID=65553
yngwie308
Last edited by yngwie308 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:11 pm

More Malmsteen at Namm, including pics and description of his Boss performance:
http://michaeljmcgee.com/yngwie-page.htm
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Yngwie J Malmsteen

Post by JimiJames » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Been going to a few concerts these past 2 weeks.
Seen Uli Roth last Sunday as he did choice killer Scorps tunes.
On Saturday Kamelot with an excellent performance.
Yesterday, Sunday, YJM was in town and was a great show.
Several weeks ago I borrowed one of my Cousin's YJM's for a week.(Candy Apple Red/Rosewood)
His OlyWht/Mpl sounds very Stratty but, the Red/RW felt do-able in my hands since the scallop is cut not as deep.

I decided to try a progression using Line6 GuitarPort with a Riffworks drum track with an octaver for the bass played on the guitar.
I tried to get the feel for the style by keeping it simple. A little tired after work but, you get the idea...
I hope yooz Yngwie guys hold back on the tomatoes :lol:
eh, and no beer was used while recording :mrgreen:

Here's the link
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

RisingForce
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: @yngwie308

Post by RisingForce » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 pm

yngwie308 wrote:Ah yes...but maybe we have just stumbled upon the secret to Yngwie's Alacatrazz tone ---> The Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble.

If it is gone from his rig during the '85 tour, and all else being equal...then perhaps the CE-1 was giving Yngwie that high sustain, thick tone which still cut thru the band's mix. On all the Alcatrazz recordings (including the live concerts recordings / performances...Yngwie's guitar tone is like a laser beam in how it cuts thru...yet is warm and musical.
Also, as for the be all, end all, in re-creation of the original Boss CE-1...check out the Retro-sonic Chorus Ensemble:
http://www.retro-sonic.com/index.php?op" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &Itemid=31
There are around $ 279, and there is a waiting list. I have one already back-ordered.
Hi yngwie308, Great forum/Malmsteen threads! :D

I live in Sweden and I have been a great fan of Yngwie since the early 1980s. Like many others I love Yngwie's guitar tone from the 1978-1985 era and how it cuts thru the band mix...yet is warm and musical. A good example is the fantastic solo from "Suffer Me-Alcatrazz Metallic Live 84 DVD". I have read many articles and listened to several interviews with Yngwie from his pre-USA days when he was still a teenager living in Stockholm, Sweden (BTW his nickname was Dyngve :D)

According to Yngwie, his pre-USA tone was created using the following equipment.

* Guitar: Fender Stratocaster "the Duck", scalloped by Yngwie in 1978, no brass nut, disconnected tone controls
* Pickups: DiMarzio FS-1 single coils with high output, but warmer and more bass than HS-3. Yngwie used FS-1's in both bridge and neck position and he did not start using HS-3s until around 1983.
* Amplifier: Marshall Vintage 1972 MKII heads 50W, EL34
* Cabinets: Marshall 4x12 with Celestion 75W (NOT Celestion greenbacks)
* Effects: DOD250 (1978 Gray models, Gain MAX, LEvel 9 o'clock), BOSS Roland Chorus Ensemble CE-1, Roland DC-10 Echo, Boss OC-2, Vintage Dunlop Cry Baby, VOX flanger....

I guess that the key elements to his early tone are the FS-1 pickups and the CE-1,which boosts the signal even further and makes it more single coily?

Play Loud! /RisingForce
Fender Malmsteen Guitars
Bumbox Lead 1-Vintage Marshall MKII Head
Marshall Cabinets, DOD250, BOSS Roland Chorus Ensemble CE-1
... :)

mikespitzer

Post by mikespitzer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 pm

NitroLiq,

interesting story about working with Yngwie at New River Studios during the recording of SEVENTH SIGN

What more can you remember about those recording sessions ?

Microphone positions ?
EQ tweaks ?
Reverbs or Delay settings ?

Anything else ?

MRX2099

Post by MRX2099 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:57 pm

OK time to bring the "Mastero" topic back up to the top, I have been listerning to the Earlier Alcatrazz Cd "No Paroloe....", and I am really liking that tone the best of all. Yngwie's tone then was much less distorted, but also cleaner and clearer too. Here is what I have , I got my Custom Fender Strat, that started out as a '99 Fender Mexican 70's reissue. I had it customized with the full Yngwie works just like the Duck/Play Loud strat, I even added a "Callahan" Tremolo block for more sustain. My only issue is on the bridge pickup (HS3) it is kinda real thin sounding, (do I need to use a 9 gauge strings) not like a HS3 should. I have not had a chance to compare it sound wise with a real Fender Yngwie strat to see how the sound compares, I wonder if the wood in mine make that much diff. It says mine is made of Ash, The YJM stray is Alder, on the fender site. I am thinking about getting the new Seymore Duncan "YJM volume smooth pot" and the set of "no load" tone controls also in 250K. I see they also sell them in 500K what is the difference there too? I play thru my Metroamp 50Watt Clone of a '69 spec, with a TS-9 modded to 808 specs, I am using 4 G12T75 watt speakers in the A cab, with a PPIVMV. I really want the early Yngwie tone.
I see that dailey has a mod for a Yngwi amp using another preamp tube here
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am schematic tarded, if anyone wants to do a layout of this for me, taking the 50W layout and adding it to it, that would be great also as to what Relays (RLY1A, RLY1B) he is using in there, I want to add the FX loop in mine that he has there too, and is that only a 1 input schematic how is he switching channels in there with a footswitch or what?

...Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the hydrant

stef

Post by stef » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:12 pm

YJM used 70's ash strats live with a pair of Hs-3's and stock fender necks (stock frets and fingerboard). What you need is the dod250 preamp and a single bourns gtr 250K pot for the guitar volume control (no tone pots in the circuit). G12M and H is what he used back in 1984, 85...

MRX2099

Post by MRX2099 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks stef, but just wondering........ also the YJM308 pedal is suppossed to be a replica of the famous "DOD250 grey pedal" from the 70's, I see they also reissued the DOD250 as a yellow pedal now too, are they the same thing??? or who knows any specs on the differences on the YJM308 compared to the reissue DOD250 yellow?

...Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the hydrant

stef

Post by stef » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:29 am

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1235819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 am

Yep, just a slight varience between the two. This is old stuff (the yellow reissue was back in '96 I believe). The YJM 308 is actually VERY good, if you use it like he does. It gives you alot of what a proper 250 does, but tightens things up a bit, in regards to that flabby, grainy type 'feel' that a 250 gets on distorted rhythms. On the 308, you have to set both knobs up to at least 2 oclock though. The level/output WIDENS the tone out, but has to be set up high.

With a strat with single coils (weak ones at that) and a 1987 Marshall, the 308 is what it is SUPPOSED to be.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)