Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

C J H

Mitch Mitchell

Post by C J H » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:46 am

.. dunno if where posting good drummers here as well but, if you haven
"blah blah, wof wof!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:04 pm

I agree, that was an AWESOME show ! I alway's listen to how incredible Mitch plays everytime I listen to 'The Jimi Hendrix Experience', which is often. That dude had some very quick and dynanic type drum licks. It was like 'controlled chaos' or something. He never lost track of the time or beat and alway's managed to sound 'improvised'.

I think Buddy Miles may have accented the 'ONE' a bit more, in a more 'Funk' kinda way, but I have a theory as to which drummer Hendrix prefered.

My thought is that Hendrix liked Mitchell more, cause Mitch made the music have more of an avent garde type quality, that Miles didnt bring. I feel Hendrix felt too "R&B" with Miles on drums. Hendrix was trying not to emphasize his roots anymore than he had too.

I alway's compare the Woodstock version of "Izabella" to the 'Live At The Fillmore's' version of the same song. Woodstock's was heavier and faster, while the BOG's was more layed back and in the pocket. I love both though.

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Thu May 01, 2008 4:49 pm

both were good drummers with different styles giving different dimensions to jimi's music !

out of focus
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by out of focus » Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 pm

I like them both. Different feels for different moods.. Mitch is a wild jazzy kind of player.. Buddy was a power groove machine.. RIP Buddy :cry:

54strat

Post by 54strat » Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 pm

I have always felt that Jimi's best live playing was with BOG because of Buddy Miles and Billy Cox holding down a groove, as opposed to the jazzier stuff Mitch Mitchell did. You can really fly when you don't have to worry about your rhythm section getting lost. Mitch did some great work in the studio, but I think most of us like BOG better than the Experience for the live stuff...it's because of Buddy and Billy. Put three guys together schooled in r&b and turn it up! Simple recipe that works every time. And Noel, like most guitarists, could pick up a bass guitar and do alright...but put BOG on and listen to Billy Cox, especially on The Power Of Soul...SHI-YUT!
Don't think I'm slamming Mitch. My favorite studio track is VooDoo Chile...the long one. Jimi, Mitch, Jack Cassidy, Steve Winwood (just as wicked on the B-3 as Jimi is on guitar). DOUBLE SHI-YUT!

MarvinMitt

Post by MarvinMitt » Wed May 14, 2008 2:40 pm

I personally think that Band of Gypsys was Jimi's need to do something new. The Experience staff was more into playing those old pop formulated songs but Jimi wanted to go beyond that.

Mitchell called Buddy as "the betonator" or "cement mixer"... could be some of that envy but Buddy was a power drummer. Now, rating them is like saying which is better guitar, Stratocaster or Les Paul (or Tele?)

But my personal favorite is the Cry of Love band featuring Mitchell on drums and Cox on bass, and one pretty cool guy from Seattle, Jimi Hendrix on guitars and vocals. That could be my dream backing band although I don't deserve it. Jimi was reaching beyond he's imagination last days of his life and it's way too bad that he never finished he's last album and many more to come!

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:49 pm

54strat wrote:I have always felt that Jimi's best live playing was with BOG because of Buddy Miles and Billy Cox holding down a groove, as opposed to the jazzier stuff Mitch Mitchell did. You can really fly when you don't have to worry about your rhythm section getting lost. Mitch did some great work in the studio, but I think most of us like BOG better than the Experience for the live stuff...it's because of Buddy and Billy. Put three guys together schooled in r&b and turn it up! Simple recipe that works every time. And Noel, like most guitarists, could pick up a bass guitar and do alright...but put BOG on and listen to Billy Cox, especially on The Power Of Soul...SHI-YUT!
Don't think I'm slamming Mitch. My favorite studio track is VooDoo Chile...the long one. Jimi, Mitch, Jack Cassidy, Steve Winwood (just as wicked on the B-3 as Jimi is on guitar). DOUBLE SHI-YUT!

Loved both Mitch and Buddy, but I agree with you 100%. In BOG the rhythm section was so tight. It was James Brown at the Apollo on acid. Tight, groove, in the pocket....and Jimi got to really go off and soar above that.

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed May 14, 2008 4:38 pm

I liked his drumming on muddy waters' london sessions
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39