Steve Vai

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:32 am

Too 'ELECTRONIC' sounding, yeah, thats the word I'm looking for with Vai. No WOOD tone or Natural resonance/dynamics in his tone. I really miss that in his playing style. Like Fill and Yng308 have said, Vai really relies a bit much on the Technology side. Even Joe Satch, who is a bit more soulful than Vai, is guilty of this. Remember when 'Musical appearances' were bared, on that MTV 'Unplugged' from 89 or 90 ? SRV made Satch look pretty bad, from a honest musical perspective. Nothing to hide behind, just how MUSICAL are you ? Having said that though, I think Satch would have faired better ELECTRICALLY.

I like a NATURAL sound to the electric guitar. Even if it is distorted/fuzzed out of the ying yang, like, say, Hendrix's 'House Burning Down' tone. That tone was still very natural nd honest sounding.

Yngwie Malmsteen definatly is one of the few guy's who plays Hard Rock, that still has great tone, and hasnt succombed to the push button technology.

And Vai, regardless of the afforementioned gripes, is one of the most origional out there.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 am

yngwie308 wrote: the boy wonders from Long Island, yngwie308
HEY!!! Watch it, Dave!!!! :wink:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:47 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Yeah, I felt like he was Waylon on me too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: / :wink: :wink: :wink: / 8) 8) 8)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:31 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
NY Chief wrote:

:x

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:50 pm

NY Chief wrote:
fillmore nyc wrote:
NY Chief wrote: HEY!!! Watch it, Dave!!!! :wink:

:x
:lol: / :wink:

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Look fellows, haven't I shown luv for NY here, I was only referring to Satch and Vai as LI boyze as that's where they be from.
And pleaze I feel like again I'm on the one man band, me against the wacky world of VH trip again.. :evil: :twisted: :P .
Mean no disrespect to the Spitzer state believe me.
I have even had suggested to watch out that my brakes may be 'fixed' if I continue to criticise Ed.
MALMSTEEN f$#%^^ rules and that's how I feel, you guys know I am olde school on guitarists here, I want NY in my corner, no turf wars here.
Lately I feel I have to get a Glock to live in the neighborhood I live in, so pardon my , let us say, tension!!! :lol:
I love NY over LA anyday, ok, it is the greatest American city, as well as Philly, which I also love, don't forget, I'm a Connecticut boy, where all the rich NY'ers live. 8)
It just seems that compared to Satch and Vai, YJM seems normal.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So please no flame war mi amigos :)
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:08 pm

It's all good, Dave. As I recall you spent some time on Long Island as well :P

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:21 pm

NY Chief wrote:It's all good, Dave. As I recall you spent some time on Long Island as well :P
+1. Just some joking going on. The Waylon thing with me and Chief is an inside joke that you've probably read about in other threads here, but there is no turf war at all, bro.
As a fellow L.I.'er (even if it was just for a short time), you should know that we're all about busting as many balls as possible in the shortest time possible!! ITS WHAT WE DO BEST!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: / 8) 8) 8) 8)

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 pm

yngwie308 wrote:Also Steve Stevens, another NY boy, he freely admits all his influences, from Steve Howe to Wes Montgomery, yet always manages an fascinating amalgam/fusion of these varied styles and make it a Steve Stevens track.
Yet he has that Steve Stevens edge to it, that just makes it his own thing.
To my way of thinking, musical growth and development, especially in the metal/hard rock/ commercial world is full of unique and interesting tweaks by Steve to bring the music to the forefront of any of his new projects, eliciting mass appeal, outside of just making the tone heavier or adding another guitarists vibe.

When Steve joined the Vince Neil Band in 1993, he was given unparalleled freedom to punch in extended guitar solos, whereas in Billy's band, he was limited to so many bars.

Steve even in the midst of whatever drug/alcohol phase he was in for that album, contributes some dynamic tasty lead playing, which he pulls off immaculately, and judging from the live bootleg video I have of his Chicago show that year, absolutely nails his album work note for note, with the addition of Dave Marshall on second guitar.

So the point of this and this is early for me with first cup of coffee. :lol: :twisted: , is that here is another guitarist, immensely talent as a player in his own right, yet he chooses material and can work it into a band setting, adding his own unniqueness and personality.
yngwie308
I wish there was something I could add to this, but you've nailed it so completely, that I just find myself reading and re-reading it.
Steve Stevens IS a member of a small group of players that continue to expand the voice of guitar, as you've said, without resorting to the same cliched licks made heavier with more distortion, or more volume. Everytime he puts out something new, it IS something new, and different from his previous efforts. Even going back to his earlier days, his playing on "Rebel Yell" still sounds fresh and unique. A very talented and diverse musician.
8) 8) 8) 8)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 pm

"He who breaks the most balls WINS" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I never could give Stevens his due because Billy Idol just turned me so fukin off. Dave is gonna send me the vid he noted above (right , Dave :lol: ) so I can see for myself. 8)

fill!!!!!! I gotta get this!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Can't wait to hear Little Wing,Red House, Hear My Train A coming, Axis, If 6 was 9. Bet it's got all the greats!!! :wink:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000069KGI

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:43 pm

NY Chief wrote:fill!!!!!! I gotta get this!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Can't wait to hear Little Wing,Red House, Hear My Train A coming, Axis, If 6 was 9. Bet it's got all the greats!!! :wink:
Just remember, its not complete if it doesnt have his world famous version of "Manny's Depression".
:lol: :lol: :lol: / :wink: :wink: :wink: / :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:53 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
NY Chief wrote:fill!!!!!! I gotta get this!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Just remember, its not complete if it doesnt have his world famous version of "Manny's Depression".
:lol: :lol: :lol: / :wink: :wink: :wink: / :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That's tooo fukin funny, Bro!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"