100 Watt Plexi Stlye Amp Kit questions.

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer

100 Watt Plexi Stlye Amp Kit questions.

Post by Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:20 pm

I got the 100 watt plexi kit, and have the filter caps, transformers, etc. in and was in the middle of wiring the power transformer and found that I'm unsure what board wiring diagram to follow (in general anyway, I realize there are variations). The instructions on the "100 watt amp kit" install guide PDF doesn't seem to make it clear what wires go where, since I have the MM options for the transformers, rather than the default one's. Also, I opted for the Sozo caps, too. What differences should I be looking for? The files on the reference CD don't seem to be clear about these things.

Also, I didn't get the 4 1M resisters, which the BOM (build of materials) seem to indicate I should have. I'm not clear if I don't actually need these and am simply looking at the wrong file or something. I bought the last 4 1M's at a local electronics store (so no big deal), but I am obviously not clear on this. For the 100 watt plexi build with the MM PT and OT's and Sozo caps, what files should I be looking at? Please clarify, especially if it's for different files in different areas (there are so many and it's confusing -- I want to be sure I'm building the right amp and doing it the correct way). Thanks for any insight.

Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer

Post by Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:43 pm

I just realized that this may be the wrong area of the forum to ask this in. I don't see any more appropriate place yet.

planetjimi

Post by planetjimi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 pm

I just looked at the BOM in the tech section for the 100 watt plexi, and the only resistors I see that come in a quanity of four is the "1k 5w" resistors. Those should be rectangle in shape and white. Hope this helps.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:23 pm

No, there's four 1M too -- two for the input jacks and two in the phase inverter section.
Unfortunately the instructions never were specific for the MM trannies, and the trannies have changed so that the instructions aren't accurate anymore.

planetjimi

Post by planetjimi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:39 pm

On the diagram I see where the 1m resistors go, but I don't see them listed on the BOM. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't talking about the 1K's

Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer

Post by Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Do either of you know which specific file(s) I should be referring to for the generic/general build? I'm pretty sure I'll figure out the different wires for the MM transformers, if needed, but I want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 am

For the most part the 100 watt instructions PDF on the disc is still valid, it's just that the MM trannies weren't covered much if at all, and the Metro/Heyboer power tranny has changed. Also note that the instructions often pop up with the wrong impedance selector wiring in the picture for that step -- George has an updated and correct pic here on the forum somewhere -- and the instructions completely skip over something with the output tranny, I think it was the leads that go to pin 3 on the power tube sockets......

Have you gone to MacGaden's site and downloaded the layout for the '69 amp that Billy Batz did yet? (or maybe it comes on the newer discs?) It's linked in a sticky post in the Marshall forum I believe.......

A lot of the MM tranny diagrams are in the tech reference section here. If they're not there they should be in the store listing for your particular tranny. Hopefully that will get you started and we can pitch in if there's still any confusion!!