2x6V6 Marshally build, what OT?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

RussB

2x6V6 Marshally build, what OT?

Post by RussB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Like the title asks, what would you recommend as a suitable output transformer for a tube rectified, 2 6V6 Marshall plexi-ish build? While I'm at it what choke would you recommend?

Thanks 8)

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: 2x6V6 Marshally build, what OT?

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:02 pm

RussB wrote:Like the title asks, what would you recommend as a suitable output transformer for a tube rectified, 2 6V6 Marshall plexi-ish build? While I'm at it what choke would you recommend?

Thanks 8)
Check out any threads or schematics on the web pertaining to "Mark Huss 6V6 Plexi". I believe for Mark's original prototype that he used Traynor YBA-2 transformers.

If I were you and wanted to stay in keeping with the Marshall AND 6V6 theme, the ONLY Marshall ever made with 6V6's was the Studio 15 or Model 4001. If you look up Classic Tone or Mercury Magnetic transformer replacements for this amp, it will be sufficient enough for your build.

EFK

Post by EFK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:37 pm

I've bult quite a few. Use a JTM45 OT. Yes, it's overkill, but it will maintain the solid bass of a 50W or 100W without crapping out and the 8K impedance is perfect for push/pull 6V6 at 380-400V.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:39 pm

EFK wrote:I've bult quite a few. Use a JTM45 OT. Yes, it's overkill, but it will maintain the solid bass of a 50W or 100W without crapping out and the 8K impedance is perfect for push/pull 6V6 at 380-400V.
EFK, I would imagine you're using solid state rectification as well to keep the sound tight(er). Being that you have built several, what is your opinion on split cathode versus shared cathode when you utilize the 6V6's? Or do you like use a switch to toggle between the two options?

EFK

Post by EFK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 am

Most of the ones I've done have been straight up JTM45 amps with a lower voltage PT and 6V6 just to knock a bit of volume off and allow the player to get a bit more dirt lower on the volume knobs without having to go to a PPIMV. It also makes a nice amp to run one like this in cathode bias, and you can play around with the amount of NFB. I've always used either a GZ34 or a 5V4 with these, trying to stay true to the whole JTM thing. Can yield something of a "browner" JTM sound if you play around with the circuit a bit. I've done one or two like early 70s metal panels though, with split cathode and much stiffer filtering, diode rectified etc. Have to say, done like this, they're still pretty loud, seem louder than a 2061 to me but a better sound with more bottom.

Personally, I like split cathode and early 70s metal panels probably the best as I think they're the most versatile amps. I think there's a more noticeable difference between the two channels than what you get, say, with a JTM45, so it gives me more options depending on what I want out of the amp - bass channel for Cream or bluesy type stuff, bright channel when I want to go ACDC.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:11 pm

EFK wrote:Most of the ones I've done have been straight up JTM45 amps with a lower voltage PT and 6V6 just to knock a bit of volume off and allow the player to get a bit more dirt lower on the volume knobs without having to go to a PPIMV. It also makes a nice amp to run one like this in cathode bias, and you can play around with the amount of NFB. I've always used either a GZ34 or a 5V4 with these, trying to stay true to the whole JTM thing. Can yield something of a "browner" JTM sound if you play around with the circuit a bit. I've done one or two like early 70s metal panels though, with split cathode and much stiffer filtering, diode rectified etc. Have to say, done like this, they're still pretty loud, seem louder than a 2061 to me but a better sound with more bottom.

Personally, I like split cathode and early 70s metal panels probably the best as I think they're the most versatile amps. I think there's a more noticeable difference between the two channels than what you get, say, with a JTM45, so it gives me more options depending on what I want out of the amp - bass channel for Cream or bluesy type stuff, bright channel when I want to go ACDC.
I remember one of the tube reviewers at the Tube Store or the Tube Depot speaking of retrofitting a Tweed Bassman with 6V6's after making the proper (mods/adjustments) and I'm aware that it can be done with a JTM45. The cathode bias is something I had been thinking about as well with 6V6's, as this method used with the Marshall 2061X seems to deliver that plexi quality. It's also interesting that you prefer the split cathode with the 6V6's which I was pondering even before I posted my last response. In my experience 6V6's can have a little darkness to their sound (at least to my ears) which would be offset by a split cathode.