Best brand of power transformer to get

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Guitar-Sam
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Best brand of power transformer to get

Post by Guitar-Sam » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:57 am

I'm gearing up to buy a PT for my road side find, a 1980's Dean Markley CD-60.Its going to a tech friend to be diagnosed. I have a feeling he is gonna say PT as it pops fuses on power up even with the tubes pulled.
I contacted Ultrasound amps who reissued the Dean Markley CD-60.They said the reissue PT does not work in the 80's CD-60 and recommended a PT for a Fender Hotrod Deluxe.
What is the best brand of tranny to get? I see the original Fender part is like $60 and Mercury Magnetics one is like $185,is the Mercury that much better?? How bout other brands Classic Tone perhaps? I see Hammond has one near the cost of the Fender original one.
All recommendations are welcome as I've never swapped transformers befor and don't know what is good, bad or ugly.
BTW The amp has 2x 6L6 and 3x 12ax7 for tubes.
74' Stratocaster
Several Frankenstrats
Orange Tiny Terror & PPC 1x12 cab
Marshall 2210
69' Marshall 4x12 "B" cab
Dean Markley CD-60

Guitar-Sam

Re: Best brand of power transformer to get

Post by Guitar-Sam » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:43 pm

OK I know I'm asking the Marshall guys about a somewhat rare oddball amp that I don't even have a baseline sound for. Kinna like asking the Ford guy what heads to put on a small block chevy . :what:
I know that the hotrod deluxe tranny will never sound the same as the amp originaly did, which I have also never heard in the first place.
But "IF IT WERE YOUR AMP" what would you do for a power tranny being as the original is no longer made. Is there a "better" brand of hotrod deluxe PT to go with?? Or would you go another direction all together?
74' Stratocaster
Several Frankenstrats
Orange Tiny Terror & PPC 1x12 cab
Marshall 2210
69' Marshall 4x12 "B" cab
Dean Markley CD-60

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I would just get the Classic tone in this situation. They're as good as those other choices at a decent price. No way I would pay $185 on this.

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 am

Nobody here has mentioned Heyboer, are they exempted from the list of tranny manufacturers?

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Heyboer is a good choice too.

ezs

Post by ezs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Make sure the mains filters or rectifier aren't shorted first. Disconnect at the rectifier and see if it blows fuses then. If so, toast.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:47 am

Granger amps did an OT shootout which was pretty interesting in that (2) out of about 5 transformer companies used paper wound transformers (Heyboer and Classic Tone). To my ears it proved what I've always believed about paper wound transformers (THEY SOUND GREAT!). I used to own a Fender Tweed Vibrolux amp that had stupendous tone which I always attributed (at least in some part) to the vintage paperwound transformers, and the shootout seemed to verify this point, even though many others including Mercury Magnetics would tend to strongly disagree.

I know we're talking about PT's here and not OT's however knowing what I know now, my choice would STILL be Heyboer or Classic Tone for a PT for your Dean Markley CD-60.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:04 pm

PT...Whatever gets the voltage right. I'm not a big believer that the PT influences the tone as long as the voltages are equal.

Now the OT, that's a different stiory. Built 2 amps with almost identical specs. Same ish voltage on the plates.
one Chris M one Classictone...****** spanks it. But The CT one sounds good...it's weather or not the upcharge is worth it for % of improvement.

IMO the CM is...but so's george's recipe HB over the CT's.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee