What did I just buy?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mxzx

What did I just buy?

Post by Mxzx » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I know what it says on side, any chance this is a Dagnall T-2562 power transformer? Really need one!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/ ... 7efa67.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/ ... 1a55b9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neikeel

Re: What did I just buy?

Post by neikeel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

Looks like a Dagnall T2562 to me, nice as it comes with end bells and fixing brackets. I saw it but did not buy it as I already have a dodgy one (it works but pops and smells so not long for this world) and I do not need another paper weight! There are plenty of good T2562 replacements that will work for sure (both Georges and M@+%$n ones, you could probably get a Marstran one as special order.

I suspect that it is dead - with leads cut that short it was just whipped out and put on one side. I really hope for you that it works (and then I will be :mrgreen: for not bidding too!).

Method to test on the bench

1) check for continuity across the coils that are supposed to be connected and then across others to look for shorts (ideally a Meggar but most of us do not have one - I have to scounge off my father!), if it passes these,

2) next step is get an electical connecting block (we call them chocolate blocks over here) and hook every wire up to stop them flopping around. Apply mains voltage to the correct taps and then measure the ac you get on the secondary. It will not be under load so it should not get hot either. Expect slightly higher readings than in situ.

Do these first before you spend lots of time lead lengthening and fitting into the amp.
Neil

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 pm

I concur with Neil. Test first.

It looks right, but looks like it might have gotten awfully hot at some point. :?
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Mxzx

Post by Mxzx » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I''m sure I'll be asking for more advice one I get it.

I talked to ****** a while back, but I can't get ahold of him anymore. Figured this might be an easy way to try to keep the proper part in there.

I guess I could sell the bell ends and brackets to try and recoup some money if it is in fact dead.

I does look a lot better than the one that just burned in my '70 Superlead, and it was still working as it burned!

Thanks

Mxzx

Post by Mxzx » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Okay I'll bite, why does his name get ***'d out? Haven't been around here all that long.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Mxzx wrote:Okay I'll bite, why does his name get ***'d out? Haven't been around here all that long.
Have a search! There was a fall out when Mark 'Rockstah' Abrahamian was winding C M up and George became involved - the details are a bit vague.

He can be hard to get hold of by e-mail (I gave up quite a while ago!) although I believe he will often answer the phone? AFAIK he is a one man outfit and is pretty busy.
Neil

Mxzx

Post by Mxzx » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Got it, will do a little searching.

Yeah, I talked to him back in Dec and said he wasn't making any trannies due to the price of material. Tried emailing and calling to no avail in the last month.

Is there a way I can tell if this is a 50 or 100w, or does it matter? I need 100w.

Thanks

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm

A T2562 is a 100w mains transformer. They made them in laydown and stand up types approx 490v on the plates with 240v on 240v tap at 50Hz.
Neil

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

I always wondered what happened about that. For what it's worth, Chris and George have met since and got along just fine as far as I am aware. Chris happened to say some very nice things about George afterwards. Surely it's about time the censoring got dropped?
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Mxzx

Post by Mxzx » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:10 am

Well, it showed up yesterday. Took it apart and it is a little different than the old one. Can you experts guide me into what I need to do to both test and install?

The new one has two less wires coming out of one side, and two more on other.

Thanks!!

New one on right, old left

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/ ... 3ed650.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New one

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/ ... ce387b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old one

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/ ... a67305.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;