120v vs. 220v ?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Tone Slinger

120v vs. 220v ?

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 am

I was wondering, what, if any, difference would be in running a Marshall 50 watter in, say Germany (220v) vs. running one in the U.S.A at 120v ?

I know it is a different transformer tap, via selector on the amp, but does one sound different than the other ?

I remember reading an old Scorpions interview, and they said the first time they came to America, they were like "Why do our amps sound so weak" ? So they used a seperate transformer to step up the UAS 120v to the European 220v.

Maybe they ran thier European Marshalls (mainly mid to late '70's era 50 watt JMP 1987's) from the 220 tranny tap on our 120v. That had to have sounded bad. Didnt Marshall have the voltage selector on the back by then ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 120v vs. 220v ?

Post by awangotango » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:24 pm

some marshall's had both sets of voltages, but It's not the voltage that matters, it's the cycles. So yes, a marshall sounds different in europe than us, but not because of the voltage. You can use the 240v tap and step up transformer in the US, and the tone is the same as 120v. (or 220/110). I've done the personal research on this btw...... used a step up transformer on a '71 SL that had all the voltage options on back....... Apparently it's the 50 cycles vs 60 that changes the tone, and there's no economical way to get 50cycles in us. Only thing we can do is use our ears to change tubes or a few values of components to recreate schenkers old tone. I've found the easiest way to go towards the euorpean metal tone (240v/50) is to use old worn out greenbacks (clones or variac'd scumbakcs don't quite get me there). The european tone is a touch looser, warmer, deeper, and not as extended on the extremes- read more middy, and original old greenbacks do all this to a rig.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info. Old Michael Schenker tone is ALWAYS a measuring stick for me whenever I'm trying a new amp or spec. I always strike a few licks of his to see if the tone is happening. Rudolph and Matthias seemed to 'refine' some of Michaels idea's, but UFO era Michael Schenker was pure and totally 'uncut' tone imo.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Dom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Dom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 am

That's funny that I stumbled across this post and read that about the Scorpions that their amps are 'sounding weaker' in the US.
I did experience the same thing.
I've played a 70s Super Lead, 2 JCM800 Reissues and a hot rodded JCM800 2210 and it always came to my mind thyt they all lacked punch and they have missing something sound and feelwise what even modern Marshalls in Europe had.
hard to describe, but 'weakness' is a good general word.
But I can't comment if it''s depending more on the cycles or on the voltages.
I only know that some Rockabilly players here in Germany use a 230V-110V transformer even for their Fenders with 230V selector because they mean that they're closer to the US Fender sound.

Cheers
Dom