Drake 1202-84 OT with EL34's

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Coot Boy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Drake 1202-84 OT with EL34's

Post by Coot Boy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Ralle wrote:Thanx Cooter Boy...
I like what I hear... it's like you said, it's kinda hard to hear the differences, but what I was looking for is how the 4k -84 Ot behaved with EL34's... I have to ask you, did you experience any lack of lows? And what about the highs?
I think you can compare pretty much with the JTM to what you have now... unless you didn't do any drastic changes with the filterings...
I'm really greatfull that you did this... To bad you didn't have a paf pu of some kind... the single coil adds some highs that sounds like what I expected from the ot, so it's kinda hard to hear wich is wich...
Hey Ralle, I do have hummers here, all my own winds, I've made another clip using a 9k asymmetric wind. Poly spn 42 wire and A2 mag and nickel cover, brff, at least that's what my notes say :lol: fitted to a rotten old ply strat, the bridge is a Fender 2 point trem, all wrong apparently but sounds alright to me :what:
Not sure if you'll get any clearer idea from it but it is what it is. A wee bit of light VH right at the end, one must stick to what one is better at, VH isn't my forte. This is with no pedals, all knobs on 10, bass off. PPIMV down half goin into two 12'' Guytron Big tone speakers, don't ask :palm: they are in my iso box, I'd like to put something else in there but who's got the dough. Both speakers are miced, one 57 the other is an 80s 421 Sennheiser, panned LnR, no EQ or verb added.
For fluent leads the amp does need a boost but it's great for what I did here. Any loss of bass? no mate, nice and tight, the highs? well they are all there and you can really wring them out if you work hard on the guitar if you get my meaning. I'm too much a basher on guitar, comes from my drum playing years, not a bad thing but I don't think it's great for VH style. I can't say one way or the other whether the 84 OT is better or not for EL34s but I really like the amp. The 84 is a Marstran by the way. Only one way to find out if you like it. Cheers bro. Nic.
Last edited by Coot Boy on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Oh man... now we're gett'n somewhere...
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... can you do one more clip just like this one, only with the PPIMV at full? Or eaven better, if you took it out, and made the PI stage stock speqs? That way I can hear the powerstage working the way it's supposed to... you know, the OT sautaration...
I understand if it's too much to ask...
:wink:

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:39 am

Recording is out of action, I blew a speaker and have no spares. I was playing the amp on ten and ppimv full up, I was only gonna do a quick clip because I knew the speakers were being hit too hard but it was so much fun I just kept playing. Anyway I'm lookin for a recone kit, I'm pretty sure a V30 444 cone will fit, may have one tomorrow but may be out of action for some time if I can't get one tomorrow. I won't be doing that again anyway so that's all she wrote as far as flogging a 100 watter into two 50w speakers goes. I was also getting some great sound bridging the inputs, guitar into the upper norm ch, norm vol at noon, treb ch at 9 o'clock, very articulate, I liked it but the blown speaker would go for a while then crap out, I'd let it cool down and it was sort of working for a while, this was when I had the bridged channels, I'd like to do more of that when I get the recone done. I'll post news as it eventuates.

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:00 am

Man, I'm sorry... I didn't mean for you to go and blow up your speaker on my account... I feel kind of responsable for that :oops:

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: No man, I knew what I was doin. No big deal, all part o the quest.