Calling Classic Tone Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

johnnyeggz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Calling Classic Tone Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by johnnyeggz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:04 pm

whats the difference between this one http://triodeelectronics.com/40-18053.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this one http://triodeelectronics.com/potrfor10maj.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; other than $20?

ClassicTone

Re: Calling Classic Tone Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ClassicTone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 am

Hi johnnyeggz,

The 40-18053 is an upgrade version of the 40-18024 PT. It features a copper flux band to reduce hum and has the best available, highest performing and coolest running M-6 steel in it. As a result of these features and the smaller production quantity this is produced in, it does cost a bit more than the 40-18024.

We decided to offer the 40-18053 for the amp guy that wants the ultimate, high performance PT but still at a reasonable price. If you are buying for mostly price and functionality, I would still suggest the 40-18024 as your best bet.

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
http://www.classictone.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnnyeggz

Post by johnnyeggz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:25 am

what platevoltage do they put out?

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 am

They run approximately 450 to 460V DC.

johnnyeggz

Post by johnnyeggz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:05 am

thanks!

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 am

You are very welcome sir!

axeman

Post by axeman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Use the MM brand they sound better and have a 10 year warrenty, no questions asked.

BAinFL
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BAinFL » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 pm

I just finished a build with the 100w laydown PT with the M-6 (40-18046) and it is indeed a very cool running transformer.

I'm also VERY happy with the warmth and character of the sounds I'm getting from their OT.

I guess everyone has different experiences with hardware, but I'm quite happy with their products. But as Axeman mentioned, CT only has a 1 year warranty, which is below the industry standard. I dont think this is necessarily due to anyhting quality related, but rather a reflection of their much lower pricing than other brands.
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

johnnyeggz

Post by johnnyeggz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:18 pm

BAinFL wrote:I just finished a build with the 100w laydown PT with the M-6 (40-18046) and it is indeed a very cool running transformer.

I'm also VERY happy with the warmth and character of the sounds I'm getting from their OT.

I guess everyone has different experiences with hardware, but I'm quite happy with their products. But as Axeman mentioned, CT only has a 1 year warranty, which is below the industry standard. I dont think this is necessarily due to anyhting quality related, but rather a reflection of their much lower pricing than other brands.
i have there vintage aes 50watt plexi ot as well-im prolly gonna go with the upgraded 100watt pt-

joey

Post by joey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 pm

axeman wrote:Use the MM brand they sound better and have a 10 year warrenty, no questions asked.
MM also uses the thinnest gauge wire they can, and charges up the ass for a product that is not superior in any way in regards to construction, or materials. They rely on aesthetics, reputation, and salesman to fling their product,They also will not relinquish any common need to know electrical details other than what is published on their site (even the measly frequency response), their website is vague and tells you nothing by the way!. ANY SERIOUS amplifier engineer wouldn't use them for that reason alone, and thats why Many credible engineers such as Randall Aiken wont use them.

If I asked Joe, or Mark what the primary inductance of their 40-18067 was, they would tell me (which is Important concerning -fb stability especially), Sergio, and patronette wont.

axeman

Post by axeman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Joey Joey Joey. Come on. Yes there is A huge difference in tone and quality. Seriously!

rhinson

Post by rhinson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:16 pm

joey wrote:
axeman wrote:Use the MM brand they sound better and have a 10 year warrenty, no questions asked.
MM also uses the thinnest gauge wire they can, and charges up the ass for a product that is not superior in any way in regards to construction, or materials. They rely on aesthetics, reputation, and salesman to fling their product,They also will not relinquish any common need to know electrical details other than what is published on their site (even the measly frequency response), their website is vague and tells you nothing by the way!. ANY SERIOUS amplifier engineer wouldn't use them for that reason alone, and thats why Many credible engineers such as Randall Aiken wont use them.

If I asked Joe, or Mark what the primary inductance of their 40-18067 was, they would tell me (which is Important concerning -fb stability especially), Sergio, and patronette wont.
i would like to know what ga. wire the hv sec on the classictone 40-18024 is wound with. i emailed them once with this question and for some reason they would not say. not sure why. i'm guessing 27ga or 26 ga. , but would just like it clarified so i'd know what i'm getting. thanks very much. rh

BAinFL
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BAinFL » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Here's a quick shittly clip. Shitty playing recorded thru a shitty kodak digital camera mic.

Even thru all the shittyness, you can still hear this amps character. Its sounds magical in person. This is the best I can do for recording atm...no equipment to do this justice.

http://tinyurl.com/3edkamj
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Rhinson,

To answer your question about the HV secondary of the 40-18024, it is actually wound with 25 ga. magnet wire. :D

Thank you!

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
http://www.classictone.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joey

Post by joey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 am

axeman wrote:Joey Joey Joey. Come on. Yes there is A huge difference in tone and quality. Seriously!
No! there isn't, I have used them both, as well as heyboer, and original Marshall Fare, and in fact the Mag comp has won more people over in recorded tests than either of the others, even before people knew they manufactured the iron. and I know detailed specs about both companies design, I also know quite a bit more than the average builder about transformer design. If you think there truly is Art, prove it scientifically..... Give me numbers. Give me MM's primary inductance, give me primary leakage inductance, and capacitance, give me electrical ratings, and more importantly, tell me what they mean and how they make a superior Transformer to anybody else especially in the musical aspect. The only higher quality aspect about Mercury is their Powder coated Endbells :lol: :lol: :lol: and I highly doubt thats worth 200 dollars more than their competition.