Calling Classic Tone Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jimmy_j

Re: Calling Classic Tone Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jimmy_j » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:12 am

axeman wrote:Use the MM brand they sound better and have a 10 year warrenty, no questions asked.
The Mercury Magnetics sounded thin and compressed in that trannie shootout that was posted. ClassicTone is a whole lot of bang for the buck.

RedHouse

Post by RedHouse » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:42 am

I'd have to agree with Joey on the MM fare, my experience replacing a (JCM800) OT with a MM one, that amp which sounded great (IMHO) before the change sounded less than average afterwords. The change was made at the owners request because he was buying the MM hype going 'round the internet about the MM transormers and wanted his Marshall to sound "better".

He came back two weeks later and asked me to remove the MM and reinstall the original Marshall OT, it was the right move and the amp sounded better w/o the MM.

jimmy_j

Post by jimmy_j » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Here's that link to the OT shooutout page. ClassicTone wins in my opinion.

http://www.classictone.net/PaperVsPlastic.html

BAinFL
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BAinFL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:08 pm

As an owner of the 40-18026 which I beleive is the 100w version of the same Classic Tone OT in that shootout, I can say with absolute certainty that the clip of that tranny is very accurate compared to mine.

That shootout was what convinced me I wanted CT iron in my build and I dont regret it one bit. It's got a great growl to it and is really a warm OT with lots of depth to its sounds. Light picking on a full cranked plexi produce some amazing tones thru the CT OT.

The Heyboer sounded fantastic to my ears as well. Very similar...I liked them both equally. Heyboer just a tad brighter than the CT.
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H