Will this transformer work in a JCM900? Or what will?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

submaniac
Just the numbers in order: 7

Will this transformer work in a JCM900? Or what will?

Post by submaniac » Sat May 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi sorry to bug, but I got a Marshall JCM900 100watt head needing repair. It has a blown transformer. I found this one on Ebay but don't know if it will work on the JCM 900. The seller doesn't seem to know anything about it either (since he says its for a JCM 2000, even though he got it in 1990 before the JCM 2000 came out in 1997). I just wanted to know if this is the correct transformer before I buy it. If not, could anyone clue me in on one that would work? Thank you so much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0524461044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

soundguruman

Re: Will this transformer work in a JCM900? Or what will?

Post by soundguruman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:38 am

first, the link you posted is unusable.
Any link you post here will be edited, so it is non useable.
Unless you insert some spaces into it when you post it.

Second, we have no idea, why don't you just buy the right transformer?
Used transformer on E bay? you are taking a chance on buying something that is a total waste of money.
Which transformer? power or output?
A JCM 900 OT costs $139.95 for 100 watt.
http://www.tubesandmore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey, get specific about this.

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:56 am

Assuming you are writing about a 100W JCM900 PT, our Classictone # 40-18057 would work great for your application and is reasonably priced at $84.57 from our distributor, Triode Electronics. See the link below to purchase:

http://store.triodestore.com/40-18057.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
http://www.classictone.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axeman

Post by axeman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:40 pm

I wouldn't use any transformers from triod or Magnetic corp.

Triode

Post by Triode » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Axeman,
What seems to be the problem?

joey

Post by joey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 pm

I would ONLY use Mag comp now! They released two new models the 40-18072, and the 40-18069 that are some of the most robust on the market I have ever seen. I dare anybody to try and find anything of their quality, their ratings, for their asking price.

jctaudiodesigns

Post by jctaudiodesigns » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:50 pm

axeman wrote:I wouldn't use any transformers from triod or Magnetic corp.
I would also like to know why, I was thinking of doing a build and possibly trying one.
"If your not learning, your not living"
JCT 8000 100 Watt
Boogie Mark 4

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:13 pm

jctaudiodesigns wrote:
axeman wrote:I wouldn't use any transformers from triod or Magnetic corp.
I would also like to know why, I was thinking of doing a build and possibly trying one.
I wouldn't pay any mind, They are Made of equal quality as most everything else you find in the same market, (if not better than, I happen to know their OT's are rated higher than other similar on the market) , and because they are produced in larger batches (as it is more cost effective to do it that way) they are very affordable. people too often associate cost with quality, but it isn't the case here, and if Mag comp were to offer ONE-OFF's, trust me it would be just as expensive as the most expensive boo-tique iron you could find.

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 pm

I've used a few both PT and OT, while their cheaper PTs without the M6 steel do get a little warm I haven't had a problem and the OTs I've put in sounded great. My only complaint is that the price is rising as people are catching on.

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Coot Boy,

I would like to clear a few things up on your comments here. I mean no disrespect and want to thank you for purchasing our transformers, but you are incorrect on our prices rising. In fact, we have not had a price increase since last July 2010 even though the cost of copper magnet wire and steel surcharges as well as other materials, shipping expenses (gas prices), etc. have been rising dramatically in that time period. Can we hold these prices much longer?...probably not so I highly suggest buying now.

If you read some of the earlier posts here, we have addressed the hotter running PT's by making changes by using heavier wire sizes to make them run much cooler but also at the same time, not increasing the prices of these same parts.

Improvements without a price increase as result?....Yes! :D

If you have not tried one of these new, improved and very cheaply priced PT's yet, I suggest you give them a try again now. :thumbsup:

The price increase you may be speaking of I believe is your perception since we have not increased the prices of our initial offerings but we have introduced added, additional upgrade versions of some of our initial offerings to our product line. Since they have additional and more costly features such as M-6, etc. (by the way, most original Marshall trannies never had M-6 in them), they will cost a little more than some of the initial offerings but still are generally better priced than the competition. Some of our customers demanded high end versions of the standard offerings. We have now delivered. We have done this as a result of listening to the advice, requirements and even the occasional complaint of our friends here at the MetroAmp forum as well as other forums.

:D

We have introduced almost 40 new items in the last year as a result of some of the feedback from this forum and others. We have many more coming soon such as the 50W JCM900 & JCM2000 upgrade/replacement transformers, Vox AC15 as well as so many more in development. Overall, we continue to bring you what we believe is the lowest cost and highest quality transformers on the market now. Also, we believe we now offer some of the biggest variety, options and types of vintage constructed amplifier transformers on the market as well.

Thanks again Coot Boy! :thumbsup: :clap:

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Classic tone, no dramas my end, I wasn't aware that you have added heavier wire to your PTs. The price rise I'm talking about is probably from a while ago, I first started buying your trannys probably 3 years ago? Something like that. At the time your stuff was not as well known as it is now. Originally I took a chance on a cheap OT and was very satisfied so I bought more. I didn't mean to put your PTs down by saying they get warm, a lot of other PT brands do as well in my exp and now as your stuff is getting more accepted at least around here and the fact that you are adding more to your inventory and the M6 steel of course thing will have to go up, I just wish it wasn't so :cry: One of your 50W Marshall OTs just arrived yesterday actually. Keep up the great work. Thanks. :rock:

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks Coot Boy! :D

Wow...it sound like you have probably been buying our transformers before we even trademarked them as ClassicTone.

Thanks again for being a long time and loyal customer! :clap:

sunshine

Post by sunshine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:30 am

I just bought as set for my JCM800 build. Triode shipped it the next day, great service. ClassicTone , can you tell me what the transformer is coated with. It seems to have a thin coating of lacquer or something. Is that for rust prevention? Can I remove it? If so with what? If not, they still look great and so far I am very satisfied.

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Sunshine,

To answer your question, this coating is the electrical varnish required for the impregnation of transformers to help prevent rust and provides other necessary positive electrical properties for transformers as well. I would not suggest removing it for these reasons.

Our special, custom varnish is a very old school type, time tested varnish and is made from natural materials and does not have flamable liquid solvents in it like many on the market and used by other transformer manufacturers. It does have a slight yellow/brown tint to it but is very effective for electrical purposes and is very good for the environment. :mrgreen:

F.Y.I. our military style varnishing process in general is a very thorough. I do not know anyone that goes to this extreme of varnishing in the amplifier transformer industry today. We preheat our transformers for 2 hours prior to dipping in the varnish tank to remove any moisture (even just humidity from the air can possibly shorten the life of a transformer). We dip our hot transformers into a varnish tank under high PSI vacuum for many minutes to fully impregnate our transformers. This removes any air pockets or hint of humidity within the transformer. We then bake our transformers at high temperatures overnight to fully cure this special varnish. Essentially, this will help our transformers literally survive decades under much use. There has been many cases of our amplifier transformers and military transformers known to last over 50 years. Many of our Valco (Supro, Airline, etc.) original transformers from the 1950s and 1960s are still in use and fully functional today.

Thanks Sunshine and I hope you enjoy our transformers in your new JCM800 build! :rock: