Magnetic Compnents inc universal transformer thread

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

ClassicTone
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Magnetic Compnents inc universal transformer thread

Post by ClassicTone » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:22 pm

The design looks good. The dual primary would be a must for performance, size and price. Although, this will require approximately 1 1/4" more depth than our 40-18024 therefore the mounting will be completely different. It will be approximately 3" X 4-1/2" mounting center to mounting center. It is a fairly large part but can still be mounted upright. We actually could put reinforcement brackets behind the covers for support. Will it fit okay in everyone's chassis okay? Is it a go with everyone here? What do you all think?

Joe Janisch
ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm

ClassicTone wrote:The design looks good. The dual primary would be a must for performance, size and price. Although, this will require approximately 1 1/4" more depth than our 40-18024 therefore the mounting will be completely different. It will be approximately 3" X 4-1/2" mounting center to mounting center. It is a fairly large part but can still be mounted upright. We actually could put reinforcement brackets behind the covers for support. Will it fit okay in everyone's chassis okay? Is it a go with everyone here? What do you all think?

Joe Janisch
Joe, I wouldn't even be opposed to sideways mounting if it would help anything, I may even prefer it personally, but it all depends on what others would rather have, and what would be an easier sell.

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Okay one more time just so everybody is on the same page:

briango

Post by briango » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 pm

I like it and hope there is some chances we can also get some OT's that are in line with these and HiFi.

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 pm

briango wrote:I like it and hope there is some chances we can also get some OT's that are in line with these and HiFi.
you have to work it in slowly......... Pt is the most important, than work towards OT.

baron55

Post by baron55 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 pm

ClassicTone wrote:The design looks good. The dual primary would be a must for performance, size and price. Although, this will require approximately 1 1/4" more depth than our 40-18024 therefore the mounting will be completely different. It will be approximately 3" X 4-1/2" mounting center to mounting center. It is a fairly large part but can still be mounted upright. We actually could put reinforcement brackets behind the covers for support. Will it fit okay in everyone's chassis okay? Is it a go with everyone here? What do you all think?

Joe Janisch

The reinforcement brackets would be a must. I use them on your Marshall OT's.

The shipping companies always seem to drop the amps on end causing the the transformers to bend. With he reinforcement brackets it is not as much an issue.

The vertical mount is probably more universal to the DIY crowd, since not everyone has a huge rectangle cutout in the chassis.

I use Heyboers that are about that big, so should be fine.

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 am

baron55 wrote: The vertical mount is probably more universal to the DIY crowd, since not everyone has a huge rectangle cutout in the chassis.

I use Heyboers that are about that big, so should be fine.

Dave, by sideways mount I don't mean Z mount I mean sideways x mount

robert

Post by robert » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 am

Good job, Joey!

I agree: a stand up transformer has the most advantages (no chassis cutout= more usable room inside the chassis for several rectifier & filtering boards etc.) with very solid (Marshall- like) reinforcement brackets.

For the bias winding we could also choose the "standard" 50mA (although I think it will make nearly no difference to the 100mA winding reg. the production costs)

BTW: because the easier voltage setup switching & wiring I personally would prefer a tapped primary as long this is in in the same price range as the dual primary.

@ Joe: would there be some drawbacks manufacturing- and/ or space wise with a tapped primary?

IMHO, two 15V 2A windings would be much more flexible than one 15-0-15 center tapped winding.
Because when used in parallel for bridge rectificaton (e.g. for stabilized heaters only), we can get the double current (4A) this way in opposite to the 15-0-15 center tapped 2A version ( with nearly identical room requirements on the core and the same wire diameter!).

What do you think?

Regards

Robert

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:32 am

Robert wrote:Good job, Joey!

I agree: a stand up transformer has the most advantages (no chassis cutout= more usable room inside the chassis for several rectifier & filtering boards etc.) with very solid (Marshall- like) reinforcement brackets.
Robert I was referring to sideways, or long ways X mount, not horizontal Z mount. If it would be more stable to do a sideways X mount I wouldn't mind. Like this: http://www.classictone.net/18007-01.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I don't mind either way, it would be up to you guys if you cosmetically like the other way.
Robert wrote:For the bias winding we could also choose the "standard" 50mA (although I think it will make nearly no difference to the100mA winding reg. the production costs)
I would feel better with 60V for the big kinkless bottles sake.
Robert wrote:BTW: because the easier voltage setup switching & wiring I personally would prefer a tapped primary as long this is in in the same price range as the dual primary.
Joe already said the Dual primaries had to stay, and it's really not that bad to rig it up to a switch.

Robert wrote:IMHO, two 15V 2A windings would be much more flexible than one 15-0-15 center tapped winding.
Because when used in parallel for bridge rectificaton (e.g. for stabilized heaters only), we can get the double current (4A) this way in opposite to the 15-0-15 center tapped 2A version ( with nearly identical room requirements on the core and the same wire diameter!).

What do you think?
[/quote]

Good Call! Works for me. I will redraw it. hopefully this will be the end of it!.

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Okay is this the final revision?

What do we want to do as far as mounting?
This:
http://classictone.net/18012-01-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this:
http://classictone.net/40-18023_Angle-02.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Nice design! This looks good to us here at Magnetic Components, Inc. Our preference on mounting here would probably be the upright style mounting like the 40-18023 link photo although it will be a bit larger and with reinforcement brackets under the covers. Also, the covers and brackets we want to use will be a black oxide finish similar to the 40-18012 link picture and not the 40-18023. Essentially, we would like it to have the upright style mounting of the 40-18023 and the black oxide finish of the 40-18012. As mentioned earlier, it will be approximately 3" X 4-1/2" mounting center to mounting center.

Is it a go Joey, Robert and others?

Thanks everyone for the feedback and good ideas. :D

Joe Janisch

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:57 pm

ClassicTone wrote:Nice design! This looks good to us here at Magnetic Components, Inc. Our preference on mounting here would probably be the upright style mounting like the 40-18023 link photo although it will be a bit larger and with reinforcement brackets under the covers. Also, the covers and brackets we want to use will be a black oxide finish similar to the 40-18012 link picture and not the 40-18023. Essentially, we would like it to have the upright style mounting of the 40-18023 and the black oxide finish of the 40-18012. As mentioned earlier, it will be approximately 3" X 4-1/2" mounting center to mounting center.

Is it a go Joey, Robert and others?

Thanks everyone for the feedback and good ideas. :D

Joe Janisch

I think the black oxide would look Fantastic! Its a go for everyone at sloclone, just waiting for here. the only other concern that was brought up is the 10A rating on the heater secondary, obviously you may want it at that if you use KT88/6550's, but some were afraid that if that secondary wasn't loaded as heavily, that 6.3V secondary would elevate to a higher voltage, and the use of unistrand leads.... but other than that ....
Last edited by joey on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

baron55

Post by baron55 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:03 pm

I thought I heard mass approval! LOL :D

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 pm

baron55 wrote:I thought I heard mass approval! LOL :D
Well do you approve? :D

robert

Post by robert » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 am

Hi,

I would also vote for the http://classictone.net/40-18023_Angle-02.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with solid brackets.
I think the heater winding should be able to deliver e.g. not less than 6,1 Volt under "full heaters load" and 6,5V at "minimum heaters load (with the regular wall voltage, of course).

BTW: in Germany the wall voltage is around 235V +/- 5V.

So maybe a 8A (or 8,5A) heater winding would be enough?

BTW: I hope that the shipping costs to Germany will be relativeley "normal" (this is maybe the case if UPS is avoided)

Regards

Robert