Dagnall T3836 PT

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Miracle Man
Just the numbers in order: 7

Dagnall T3836 PT

Post by Miracle Man » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi guys!

I have a 77 Super Lead with this PT (and a C2668 OT). I tried googling the model number but nothing came up. It puts out about 463V on the plates and I was just wondering if this is normal for the year?

Also, It does get pretty hot if I'm cranking it, could that be due to old filter caps? Except for the mains filter, they're still original.

Any info on this particular type of PT would be appreciated! I'm especially interested if it's common in these amps or was it something Marshall just had in stock on that paricular day :shrug:

Kindest regards,

Troy

soundguruman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Dagnall T3836 PT

Post by soundguruman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 am

There are a couple things the first being that some of these trannys were made only for 110 volts, not 120 volts. And they were designed for 50 cycle current. (look at the numbers painted on your voltage selector)
And now you have plugged it into 120 volts, 60 cycle, and you have 50 extra volts of B+! That might not be good. And you will notice that it runs a might hot...
It is best to step down the input to 110 volts, really. If you want to get picky about it. My friend uses a variac to drop the voltage. But you also want to be sure that the tubes are getting 6 volts, at least, heater voltage, after the line voltage is dropped.
If the heater voltage drops below 6 volts the life of the tube is really shortened. Therefore "brown-sound" with the heater below 6 volts is not such a great thing either.

And then after that the amp should be re-biased, and it should run 20% cooler, or in that ballpark.

One other thing to check: make sure the 1K screen resistors are installed on pin four of each output tube. Some amps do not have this installed, and watch out.
Also of course your old leaky filter caps will make the tranny run hotter too. :toast: