Mercury Magnetics O100JM-S

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

FourT6and2
Just the numbers in order: 7

Mercury Magnetics O100JM-S

Post by FourT6and2 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Since I haven't seen anyone else using this transformer, I'd just like to say that it's amazing. It's the same as the regular O100JM, except is a 2" stack instead of 1.5. It's very aggressive and, at least in my amp, is more ballsy and "modern" sounding. Not sure if it's only due to the transformer or not. But it sounds great for a cranked JMP, 90's hard rock tone.

Only issue is it requires that you drill new mounting holes in the chassis since it's so large.

HTH

Re: Mercury Magnetics O100JM-S

Post by HTH » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:41 am

FourT6and2 wrote:Since I haven't seen anyone else using this transformer, I'd just like to say that it's amazing. It's the same as the regular O100JM, except is a 2" stack instead of 1.5. It's very aggressive and, at least in my amp, is more ballsy and "modern" sounding. Not sure if it's only due to the transformer or not. But it sounds great for a cranked JMP, 90's hard rock tone.

Only issue is it requires that you drill new mounting holes in the chassis since it's so large.
thanks for the tone report, will note that one down - I like the bigger stack OTs.

how many hours have you got on the OT so far? - I notice that the tone changes (settles in) after a week of playing with MM transformers.

I put the 100w OT optimized for 6550s in a 2203 head and it sounded great - note separation and precision in the tone with lots of gain was spot on.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FourT6and2

Re: Mercury Magnetics O100JM-S

Post by FourT6and2 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:26 am

I don't have that much time on the amp yet. Maybe... 4-8 hours? It's definitely settled in since first fire up. My amp is more aggressive and mean than a typical super lead. Lacks a certain sweetness you'll hear in a vintage plexi. But it makes up for that in it's evil, ballsy sound. If you want a 1959 for hard rock, this is the tranny to use.

Some folks who have lots of experience with the 1959 circuit's eyes went super wide when they hear my amp cranked. It definitely leans toward that modded marshall sound, but it's more 90's than 80's metal.