O'Netics PT

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

kdmay
Just the numbers in order: 7

O'Netics PT

Post by kdmay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 am

Has anyone used an O'Netics PT in a plexi style circuit? Any benefits or limitations?

http://www.c3amps.com/Onetics%20Transformers.htm

My next build will incorporate a stock 1959 circuit (most likely mid 70s JMP) but probably also include a switchable 3 and 4 gain stager as well.

I know the O'Netics deliver ~500v to the plates, which is probably a touch too high for a plexi, but shouldn't cause major issues?

The 76 JMP I currently have from a mate has an unknown replaced but huge PT delivering around 476v to the plates and I am attributing the super sound at least in part to the PT.

Roe

Re: O'Netics PT

Post by Roe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:10 am

these are known to be big, heavy and stiff sounding. very little sag, unlike originals which sagged about 100v
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 am

OK, makes sense given they are designed for SLOs.....

Perhaps I'll give the Matrans a go then

jasonp

Post by jasonp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 pm

I have this PT in one of my slo clone builds.

It sags quite a bit, runs pretty hot and is expensive. I would look some where else for a power tranny.
I like the OT.

FortinAmps

Post by FortinAmps » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 am

jasonp wrote:I have this PT in one of my slo clone builds.

It sags quite a bit, runs pretty hot and is expensive. I would look some where else for a power tranny.
I like the OT.
The O'Netics have excellent regulation. I find that they run within the heat specifications. Did you connect the small black wire with the white strip to ground? What's the voltage drop you're getting from idle to full output power?

kdmay wrote:Has anyone used an O'Netics PT in a plexi style circuit? Any benefits or limitations?
Great PT but it won't sag and will not give you the feel of a true plexi.

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by FortinAmps on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 am

Thanks for the reply Mike - if the amp comes up sounding an inch of yours, I'll be happy!

I have ended up going with the Martrans set (wanted to retain the plexi vibe and sag), but I am in the process of building an SLO clone with the O'Netics and they are monsters!! Can't wait to fire them up....

FortinAmps

Post by FortinAmps » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:58 am

kdmay wrote:Thanks for the reply Mike - if the amp comes up sounding an inch of yours, I'll be happy!

I have ended up going with the Martrans set (wanted to retain the plexi vibe and sag), but I am in the process of building an SLO clone with the O'Netics and they are monsters!! Can't wait to fire them up....
Thank you for the kind words :toast:

Brian's Trannies are excellent and should give you exactly what you are looking for. The O'Netics is perfect for an SLO inspired build. I'm assuming that you are going with the O'Netics High Def OT as well.

Cheers,
Mike