Magnetics Corp

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

joey
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Magnetics Corp

Post by joey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:26 am

robert wrote:Hi Joey,

what's the reason you think that the use of a capacitive divider for the generation of the bias voltage is a bad idea?
If it's done right (e.g. the use of a high enough AC- working voltage of the capacitor!) it will work flawlessly in a HT bridge rectification circuit, IMO.

BTW: but I prefer a separate bias winding also (more flexibility) :whistle:

Regards

Robert
It's a bad idea because it isn't done right most of the time, and Marshall even abandoned this. it has to be designed so the cap always has a charge path (load placed on the HV line) or else there can be quite a few seconds before the bias voltage kicks in. It will also change with load. In the Marshall designs they seemed to do all the wrong things, and there is indeed a bit of delay before the bias voltage is fully generated.

It is much better to just use a separate tap for the bias supply. It doesn't need to be rated for much.

I feel all of these matters that I listed would Make all this companies power transformers a more desirable option, so people don't feel stuck having to use them for one thing only. There is quite a big market for high gainers/more complex amplifiers, as well as a market that would like the flexibility to be able to use big bottles to their full potential with out the fear of placing too high of a load on the HT.

I think a general PT, one that doesn't necessarily need international primaries, but with these other things addressed would be a big seller. There have been numerous people who have asked me if any of the classic tone PT models would work for their project other places, and I had to tell people no, or very conditionally, because they simply don't look to meet the current demands of anything else besides a Plexi, or 2203/4

joey

Post by joey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

I want to take a second to say that I did take up the invitation to re-discuss my issue, and had the pleasure of speaking to the President of Magnetic components inc, and through my new correspondence, was made aware of certain aspects regarding my initial issue, and why it couldn't be dealt with the way they wanted to.

I have also come to realize that they are indeed a stand up company that does care about their product line, and customer support, and would even be a great consideration for production runs.

robert

Post by robert » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 am

Hi Joey,

you're right. A separate bias winding (60V/50mA) and a tapped HT (lo/hi) winding for bridge rectification would be much better for flexibility.

Anyway, a two way rectification is simply ancient, if one doesn't need HT tube rectification

But: international primary taps are a must, IMHO.

And also a secondary 15V/2,5A winding for stabilized preamp DC heater voltge and channel switching :whistle:

Conclusion: a custom transformer would be the bill :idea:

And I'm shure that Magnetics corp. is able and willing to do that for a fair price!

Too bad for me that they are in the U.S. and not in Europe (shipping costs) :?

Regards

Robert

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 am

robert wrote:Hi Joey...

And I'm shure that Magnetics corp. is able and willing to do that...
Yeah that's what I was thinking for you too, Joey.

Glad you guys got to communicate for real and work out what's what.
Sounds like that's what was needed, personal attention and support on your matters.

Sounds like they ARE your team for your secret recipe trannies, and it sounds like you have a few up your sleeve!

Good Luck!
dave

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:27 am

somethin'else wrote:

Yeah that's what I was thinking for you too, Joey.

Glad you guys got to communicate for real and work out what's what.
Sounds like that's what was needed, personal attention and support on your matters.

Sounds like they ARE your team for your secret recipe trannies, and it sounds like you have a few up your sleeve!

Good Luck!
robert wrote:Hi Joey,

you're right. A separate bias winding (60V/50mA) and a tapped HT (lo/hi) winding for bridge rectification would be much better for flexibility.

Anyway, a two way rectification is simply ancient, if one doesn't need HT tube rectification

But: international primary taps are a must, IMHO.

And also a secondary 15V/2,5A winding for stabilized preamp DC heater voltge and channel switching :whistle:

And I'm shure that Magnetics corp. is able and willing to do that for a fair price!

Too bad for me that they are in the U.S. and not in Europe (shipping costs) :?

Regards

Robert
In the midst of all this mayhem, I have trying to sweet talk, and convince Joe Janisch The President of Magnetic Components To consider the possibility of releasing a set geared towards high gain applications, that addresses alot of these issues, and could be used, particularly the PT, for a number of other applications his current Classic Tone line cant.

He said he would consider it if enough people were interested, enough of a demand so that his distributors would stock it. A lot of people are curious about this at other Forums as well. I think it would be a great market to break into.

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 pm

We at ClassicTone are listening. If anyone here is interested in this transformer, please respond here. Joey, please let me know who may also be interested from The Slo-clone forum as well. Also, I'll need to discuss the feasibility of such a design with my engineer's input to make sure we can accommodate these requirements in a transformer and still maintain the same mounting dimensions and other necessary design variables. We'll seriously consider offering such an item if it is doable and we have enough interest to make it in some quantity and at the usual great ClassicTone pricing. :D

Thank you for the input!

Joe Janisch
ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, inc.

robert

Post by robert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 am

Hi Joe,

great!
This would solve the problem to install an additional 15 or 16 Volt transformer for 12,6 Volt regulated DC preamp heaters and the relay switching for multi channel 50 or 100 watters :rock:

Regards

Robert

gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 am

--edited---
Last edited by gldtp99 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

joey

Post by joey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:28 pm

So, I have been hashing out some ideas/compromises with the SLOClone crowd and here is a potential proposed mockup.

the idea is to have a tapped HT secondary, 375VAC for the big Kinkless Bottles, and 330VAC for everything else. The 330VAC is in my mind a much better, safer idea for EL-34 amps, as it will allow that the screens under their design maximum. With the tapped idea, there isn't a need for a separate bias tap, however if there is room for one that would be great.

I also changed from 220VAC on the primary side, to 230VAC, as thats what most of europe is running on these days.
:D comments and discussion please. as Dave form Baron says, I think you could use this transformer for about anything

robert

Post by robert » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 am

Hi Joey,

nice job!
But I personally would prefer the secondaries for the more "modern" :whistle: bridge rectification (= less cables, less noise) and with an additional 50V/50mA bias winding :listen:

Regards

Robert

nico21

Post by nico21 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:30 am

But I personally would prefer the secondaries for the more "modern" :whistle: bridge rectification (= less cables, less noise) and with an additional 50V/50mA bias winding :listen:
+1

...and so it could double the current spec with the same VA

I would add a 3rd tap at about 275 or 300 V for small tubes (6V6, EL84....)

BTW, could we indicate if we speak ac or dc current

robert

Post by robert » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 am

+1! One size fits all :thumbsup:

I would vote for an additional 250 or 260 volt tap for the safe use of EL84 ("AC60" with 8x EL84 :rock: )

Regards

Robert

Non Linear Delight

Post by Non Linear Delight » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:45 am

Marshall style lay down and stand up version PT's with the attached specs would be ultimate. It would be popular within the modification and new design markets, if effective marketing strategies are implemented.

EG
Attachments
EGD PTX Spec.jpg
EGD PTX Spec.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 3092 times

robert

Post by robert » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:37 am

Stand up transformers are IMO much more preferable (= more space inside the ampchassis) in opposite to laydown transformers.

Regards

Robert

nico21

Post by nico21 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:16 am

OK HT voltage winding with CT...

BUT so with a CT with 2 wires, so we could // the 2 half to double the current
And it should just had very little cost to the PT

What do you think?