Building a Mini-Plexi

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

EddyInChicago

Building a Mini-Plexi

Post by EddyInChicago » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a power and out-put tranny of no more then 10-15 watts that would work in a push-pull circuit? I am building a Mini Plexi, and will be using almost the same circuit as its bigger brother. Also, I plan to incorporate the Larry Tube Effects Loop in it. So my power tranny needs to support 4 12AX7's and two EL84' (or 6V6's).

Please keep in mind that I know of Hammond and Mercury Transformers. However, I need an out-put transformer that can almost replicate (or just plain sound good) like the C1998 Dagnall (I've had slight experience with both Mercury and Hammond trannys. Although they are great, they still miss the sound I'm after). Again, my mission is to build an amp that can be used at home without destroying the neighbor's windows :lol:

Does anyone know if Heyboer or M e r r e n make something I'm looking for?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Wallyworld
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Building a Mini-Plexi

Post by Wallyworld » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:25 pm

EddyInChicago wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a power and out-put tranny of no more then 10-15 watts that would work in a push-pull circuit? I am building a Mini Plexi, and will be using almost the same circuit as its bigger brother. Also, I plan to incorporate the Larry Tube Effects Loop in it. So my power tranny needs to support 4 12AX7's and two EL84' (or 6V6's).

Please keep in mind that I know of Hammond and Mercury Transformers. However, I need an out-put transformer that can almost replicate (or just plain sound good) like the C1998 Dagnall (I've had slight experience with both Mercury and Hammond trannys. Although they are great, they still miss the sound I'm after). Again, my mission is to build an amp that can be used at home without destroying the neighbor's windows :lol:

Does anyone know if Heyboer or M e r r e n make something I'm looking for?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
Eddy,
I have a M e r r e n OP in my Metro kit 50w. I heard a buddy's 50w kit w/ a
M e r r e n OP last summer and his sounded so good it led to me to my 1st build!

I have a Matchless Lighting (15w) based clone. Its a Phaez Lightingcutter with TDS (Matchless OEM trannys). The overdrive channel would sound better (IMO) with beefier OP. Chris is sending me a OP for it. I'm looking for a sweeter top end and thicker sounding tone out of the 2 EL84s. It should end up similar to what you are after.

He makes a lot of different stuff with replica and replica-like specs so I'm guessing he would be able to help? Give him a call.
Wallace

EddyInChicago

Re: Building a Mini-Plexi

Post by EddyInChicago » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Thank you. I will do exactly that. I've heard nothing but great things about the M e r r e n trannys.

Thanks again,
Ed